Duncan J. D. Smith
Duncan J. D. Smith FRGS (born 1 December 1960) is a British travel writer, photographer, historian, and explorer.
Life and career
Smith was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England in 1960. Both his parents were librarians. His maternal grandfather was P.G.M. Dickinson, former Archivist of the County and Borough of Huntingdon. Dickinson rediscovered the town charters of Huntingdon in 1941. Smith’s Scottish great grandfather was Alexander James Smith, who was instrumental in establishing Chivas Regal as a global brand in the early twentieth century. Smith’s great great grandfather was Henry Doman, the nineteenth century Lymington poet and friend of Coventry Patmore. His great great great grandfather was Professor Charles Spooner of the Royal Veterinary College.
Educated in Sheffield, Smith simultaneously ran his own private museum. He then attended Birmingham University and studied Ancient History and Archaeology. Between 1985 and 2003 Smith worked in the publishing industry, during which time he wrote five local history books about Sheffield and Yorkshire, four of them with his late father Trevor Smith. His book Yorkshire: A Portrait in Colour (1995) published by The Dovecote Press remained in print for over fifteen years.
Since 2003 Smith has worked as a travel writer, photographer, historian, and explorer. He favours travelling off the beaten track in search of unusual places and people. His European findings are being self-published in an original series of books called the Only In Guides under his The Urban Explorer imprint. Volumes include Berlin, Boston, Budapest, Cologne, Edinburgh, Hamburg, London, Munich, Paris, Prague, Vienna and Zurich. Smith has also written for magazines such as Hidden Europe.
Smith has been described as “the thinking man’s exploratory investigator”.
South & West Yorkshire Curiosities (with Trevor Smith) (1992)
North & East Yorkshire Curiosities (with Trevor Smith) (1993)
Yorkshire – A Portrait in Colour (1995)
Sheffield Curiosities (with Trevor Smith) (1999)
More Sheffield Curiosities (with Trevor Smith) (2000)
Only in Vienna (2005)
Only in Budapest (2006)
Only in Prague (2008)
Only in Berlin (2008)
Only in Munich (2009)
Only in Hamburg (2010)
Only in Cologne (2011)
Only in Zurich (2012)
Only in Paris (2013)
Only in London (2015)
Only in Edinburgh (2016)
Only in Boston (2018)
Only in Krakow (2019)
- The Royal Charters at cambridgeshire.gov.uk
- A Double Scotch: How Chivas Regal and the Glenlivet Became Global Icons by F. Paul Pacult pp 158-159
- Memoirs and correspondence of Coventry Patmore at ebooksread.com
- Professor Charles Spooner at en.wikisource.org
- About Duncan J. D. Smith at duncanjdsmith.com
- http://www.duncanjdsmith.com/yorkshire-books Yorkshire books at duncanjdsmith.com
- In-depth interview at etc.ancient.eu
- The Only In Guides published by The Urban Explorer
- Only in Boston at onlyinguides.com
- Duncan J. D. Smith at hiddeneurope.co.uk
- A Conversation with Duncan J. D. Smith at theurbanologist.com
- Duncan J. D. Smith at mikaelstrandberg.com