Duncan T. Odom
|Thesis||The application of metallointercalators in recognition of and charge transport in nucleic acids (2001)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jacqueline Barton|
|Other academic advisors||Richard A. Young|
|Doctoral students||Christina Ernst|
Duncan T. Odom is a research group leader at the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute (CRUK CI) at the University of Cambridge. Previously he was as an associate faculty member at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute from 2011 to 2018.
Odom was educated at the New College of Florida where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry in 1995. He continued his study at California Institute of Technology (Caltech) where he was awarded a PhD in chemical engineering for research on DNA-binding metallo-intercalators supervised by Jacqueline Barton.
Career and research
After a period as a postdoctoral researcher in genetics and genomics at the Whitehead Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts with Richard A. Young, he established his research group at the University of Cambridge in 2006. His research investigates how transcription and transcriptional regulation vary during evolution, and its implications for diseases such as cancer, using high throughput biology methods to investigate genome evolution. As of 2017[update], according to Google Scholar his most highly-cited papers have been published in Cell, Chemical Reviews, and Science.
His research has been funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the European Research Council (ERC), the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO), the Wellcome Trust and Cancer Research UK. His former doctoral students include Christina Ernst.
Awards and honours
Odom was awarded the Francis Crick Medal and Lecture in 2014 for his “pioneering work in the field of comparative functional genomics, which has changed our understanding of the evolution of mammalian transcriptional regulation.” He was awarded EMBO Membership in 2015, and the Mary F. Lyon Medal from The Genetics Society in 2016.
- Anon (2014). "Crick Lecture: Genetic control and the mammalian radiation". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2017-05-03.
- Anon (2015). "Duncan T. Odom". people.embo.org. Heidelberg: European Molecular Biology Organization.
- Duncan Odom publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Anon (2016). "Dr Duncan Odom: Associate Faculty". sanger.ac.uk. Wellcome Trust. Archived from the original on 2016-09-07.
- Odom, Duncan T. (2001). The application of metallointercalators in recognition of and charge transport in nucleic acids. proquest.com (PhD thesis). California Institute of Technology. OCLC 874759941.
- Duncan Odom Entry at ORCID
- Ernst, Christina (2018). Transcriptional and developmental consequences of aneuploidy during male meiosis. cam.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. doi:10.17863/CAM.25556. OCLC 1065352558. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.753466.
- Odom, Duncan T. (2014). "Survival strategies for choosing the right postdoc position". Genome Biology. 15 (3): 107. doi:10.1186/gb4163. PMC 4053951. PMID 25001498.
- Odom, Duncan (2017). "Odom group: Transcription Regulation Laboratory". cruk.cam.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 2017-02-07.
- Villar, Diego; Berthelot, Camille; Aldridge, Sarah; Rayner, Tim F.; Lukk, Margus; Pignatelli, Miguel; Park, Thomas J.; Deaville, Robert; Erichsen, Jonathan T.; Jasinska, Anna J.; Turner, James M.A.; Bertelsen, Mads F.; Murchison, Elizabeth P.; Flicek, Paul; Odom, Duncan T. (2015). "Enhancer Evolution across 20 Mammalian Species". Cell. 160 (3): 554–566. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2015.01.006. ISSN 0092-8674.
- Stefflova, Klara; Thybert, David; Wilson, Michael D.; Streeter, Ian; Aleksic, Jelena; Karagianni, Panagiota; Brazma, Alvis; Adams, David J.; Talianidis, Iannis; Marioni, John C.; Flicek, Paul; Odom, Duncan T. (2013). "Cooperativity and Rapid Evolution of Cobound Transcription Factors in Closely Related Mammals". Cell. 154 (3): 530–540. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2013.07.007. ISSN 0092-8674. PMC 3732390. PMID 23911320.
- Ernst, Christina; Pike, Jeremy; Aitken, Sarah J; Long, Hannah K; Eling, Nils; Stojic, Lovorka; Ward, Michelle C; Connor, Frances; Rayner, Timothy F; Lukk, Margus; Klose, Robert J; Kutter, Claudia; Odom, Duncan T (2016). "Successful transmission and transcriptional deployment of a human chromosome via mouse male meiosis". eLife. 5. doi:10.7554/eLife.20235. ISSN 2050-084X. PMC 5161449. PMID 27855777.
- Lee, Tong Ihn; Jenner, Richard G.; Boyer, Laurie A.; Guenther, Matthew G.; Levine, Stuart S.; Kumar, Roshan M.; Chevalier, Brett; Johnstone, Sarah E.; Cole, Megan F.; Isono, Kyo-ichi; Koseki, Haruhiko; Fuchikami, Takuya; Abe, Kuniya; Murray, Heather L.; Zucker, Jacob P.; Yuan, Bingbing; Bell, George W.; Herbolsheimer, Elizabeth; Hannett, Nancy M.; Sun, Kaiming; Odom, Duncan T.; Otte, Arie P.; Volkert, Thomas L.; Bartel, David P.; Melton, Douglas A.; Gifford, David K.; Jaenisch, Rudolf; Young, Richard A. (2006). "Control of Developmental Regulators by Polycomb in Human Embryonic Stem Cells". Cell. 125 (2): 301–313. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2006.02.043. ISSN 0092-8674. PMC 3773330. PMID 16630818.
- Erkkila, Kathryn E.; Odom, Duncan T.; Barton, Jacqueline K. (1999). "Recognition and Reaction of Metallointercalators with DNA". Chemical Reviews. 99 (9): 2777–2796. doi:10.1021/cr9804341. ISSN 0009-2665.
- Lee, T. I. (2002). "Transcriptional Regulatory Networks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Science. 298 (5594): 799–804. doi:10.1126/science.1075090. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 12399584.
- Odom, D. T. (2004). "Control of Pancreas and Liver Gene Expression by HNF Transcription Factors". Science. 303 (5662): 1378–1381. doi:10.1126/science.1089769. ISSN 0036-8075. PMC 3012624. PMID 14988562.
- Anon (2017). "Investigator Awards in Science: people we've funded". wellcome.ac.uk. Wellcome Trust. Archived from the original on 2017-04-26.
- on YouTube
- "Mary Lyon Medal 2016 - Dr Duncan Odum - Genetics Society". Genetics.og.uk. Retrieved 28 November 2018.