Dunellen High School
|Dunellen High School|
|411 First Street
Dunellen, NJ 08812
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Dunellen Public Schools|
|Vice principal||Cuyler Tobin|
|Enrollment||332 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.1:1|
|Athletics conference||Greater Middlesex Conference|
Dunellen High School (DHS) is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Dunellen in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Dunellen Public Schools.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 332 students and 30.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.1:1. There were 110 students (33.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 40 (12.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 132nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 112th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 110th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 166th in its 2008 rankings out of 316 schools statewide. The school was ranked 147th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 147th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 92 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (85.7%) and language arts literacy (92.2%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Dunellen has a wide variety of other activities to choose from, including the Biology Club, Chess Club, Chess Team, Choir, Concert band, Marching band, National Art Honor Society, National Honor Society, Drama Club, Exodus, French Club, Spanish Club, Jazz band, Madrigals, Math League, Thespian Society and The Spectrum.
The Dunellen High School Destroyers compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference, made up of public and private high schools located in the greater Middlesex County area, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 244 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
The boys basketabll team won the Group I state championships in 1943 (vs. Egg Harbor Township High School in the tournament final), 1946 (vs. Keyport High School) and 1959 (vs. Glen Ridge High School).
Dunellen is placed in the Blue Division of the Greater Middlesex Conference for football. The football team won the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group I state sectional championship in 1993. The Destroyers have made eight appearances to the Central Jersey Group I state final.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Paul Lynch, Principal
- Cuyler Tobin, Vice Principal
- School data for Dunellen High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Dunellen High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 9, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- "Dunellen High School", U.S. News & World Report. Accessed July 25, 2014
- 2015-16 Student Handbook, Dunellen High School. Accessed November 9, 2015.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2017 - 2019 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 9, 2015.
- Staff directory, Dunellen High School. Accessed November 9, 2015.