Dunlop railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Lob|
The station and road overbridge, looking north, in 2008
|Local authority||East Ayrshire|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|Original company||Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Caledonian and Glasgow & South Western Railways|
|27 March 1871||Opened|
|7 November 1966||Closed|
|8 June 1967||Re-opened|
|1975||Line singled and one platform taken out of service|
|2009||Track re-doubled and second platform reinstated|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Dunlop from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The station was opened on 27 March 1871 by the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway. The station closed on 7 November 1966 as part of the Beeching cuts, however the closure was only brief as it reopened as an unstaffed halt on 8 June 1967 after vehement local opposition and national press coverage.
Services in 2016
Since 13 December 2009 the station has had a mainly half-hourly service each way to Glasgow and Kilmarnock respectively, with some southbound trains continuing to either Carlisle, Newcastle, Girvan and Stranraer.
In 2012 a ticket machine was installed on Platform 2 and from December 2012, Sunday trains only use Platform 1.
- Views of Dunlop station
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Dunlop Ancient & Modern. An Exhibition. March 1998. Editor. Dugald Campbell. P. 6.
- Railscot Gallery - Dunlop www.railbrit.co.uk; Retrieved 2009-04-03
- Table 222 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Glasgow South Western Line
|Stewarton||Caledonian and Glasgow & South Western Railways
Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Line open; station closed
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dunlop railway station.|