Sunset at Clowbridge Reservoir
|Dunnockshaw shown within Lancashire|
|Area||1.02 sq mi (2.6 km2) |
|• Density||181/sq mi (70/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
It contains the hamlets of Clowbridge and Dunnockshaw, both located on the A682 road. Clowbridge Reservoir is situated in the east of parish on the boundary with Rossendale. The reservoir, operated by United Utilities, is a used as a location for water sports. It was built in 1866 resulting in the de-population of the village of Gambleside (on the Rossendale side).
Dunnockshaw was once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866, forming part of the Burnley Rural District from 1894. The Clowbridge area, previously part of Hapton,[a] transferred to Dunnockshaw but a detached area of the old township moved to Hapton in 1935.
During World War II a Starfish site bombing decoy was constructed on Hameldon hill near Heights Farm, part of a network designed to protect Accrington. Its site is protected as a Scheduled monument.
Met Office north-west England weather radar on Hambledon Hill
- "2011 Census – Dunnockshaw Parish". Nomis. ONS. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Burnley Retrieved 4 February 2010
- Lancashire and Furness (Map) (1st ed.). 1 : 10,560. County Series. Ordnance Survey. 1848.
- "Dunnockshaw Tn/CP through time". visionofbritain.org.uk. GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- Historic England. "STARFISH BOMBING DECOY SF35E (1360177)". PastScape. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- *Historic England, "Hameldon Hill World War II bombing decoy, 390m north of Heights Farm (1020666)", National Heritage List for England (NHLE), retrieved 31 July 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dunnockshaw and Clowbridge.|
- Map of Dunnockshaw and Clowbridge parish boundary Today - Lancashire County Council
- Map of Dunnockshaw parish boundary circa 1850
- Dunnockshaw Township - British History Online
- Clowbridge Reservoir & Dunnockshaw Community Woodland at United Utilities Website
|This Lancashire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|