Duo de Twang
|Duo de Twang|
|Also known as||Les Claypool's Duo de Twang|
|Genres||Americana, country, bluegrass|
|Associated acts||Primus, M.I.R.V.|
The duo was originally conceived as a one-off gig for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass music festival in San Francisco. Claypool decided to continue with the band after a camping trip he took with his son. The band started performing at various venues and festivals, including McKittrick Hotel and Jam Cruise.
The band released its debut album, Four Foot Shack, on February 4, 2014 via ATO Records. The album features original songs and covers from various artists, including Bee Gees and Alice in Chains, as well as Primus, Claypool's own band.
The band's inspirations include jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, country musicians Johnny Horton, Jerry Reed and Vernon Dalhart, and "hillbilly music from the '30s and '40s." The band's music features a simple guitar and bass arrangement with occasional use of banjo and mini-tambourine.
Claypool described the duo as "my fuck-off vacation band." He also stated: "I'm getting a chance to bullshit with the audience. You've got two guys that have to hold down the rhythm and you can't get too terribly melodic except with the vocals or whatnot."
- Les Claypool - bass guitar, vocals, tambourine
- Bryan Kehoe - guitar
- Studio albums
- Herbert, Kiran (November 23, 2013). "Les Claypool Covers Primus, Bee Gees on Duo de Twang Debut". Rolling Stone. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Hudson, Alex (November 19, 2013). "Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Reveal Debut Album, Cover Primus, Bee Gees, Alice in Chains, Stompin' Tom Connors". Exclaim!. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Moore, Doug (January 6, 2014). "Les Claypool's Duo de Twang touring, playing McKittrick Hotel after Sleep No More (dates)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- "Les Claypool official website". Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- McGovern, Kyle (January 20, 2014). "Hear Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Cover Alice in Chains' 'Man in the Box'". Spin. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Gentile, John (January 29, 2014). "Les Claypool Is Country-Fried With Duo de Twang - Album Premiere". Rolling Stone. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Kielty, Martin (January 23, 2014). "Music: Les Claypool's Duo De Twang: Man In The Box". Classic Rock. Archived from the original on January 29, 2014. Retrieved January 29, 2014.