Duong Dong Airport
|Phu Quoc Airport|
Sân bay Phú Quôc
Phú Quốc airport, 2009
|Airport type||Public, defunct|
|Operator||Southern Airports Services Company|
|Elevation AMSL||23 ft / 7 m|
Phu Quoc Airport (IATA:
PQC, ICAO: VVPQ) (Vietnamese: Sân bay Phú Quốc), also known as Duong Dong Airport (Vietnamese: Sân bay Dương Đông), was an airport located in Dương Đông town, Phú Quốc, Kiên Giang Province, Vietnam. The distance to other airports was 300 km from Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City), 130 km from Rạch Giá, 190 km from Cần Thơ, 200 km from Cà Mau and 540 km from Lien Khuong.
Due to the economic development of the island and continuous increase in passengers, a new airport project was constructed and built in an area of 8 square kilometers on Phú Quốc island at a cost of US$970 million. Upon completion, the airport had a paved runway of 3000 m x 50 m, capable of handling large aircraft like the Boeing 747. The new airport has a capacity of 7 million passengers per year.
The airport was built by the French colonists in 1930s and further developed during the Vietnam War. The original airstrip had a 996-m-long runway. In 1975, following the fall of Saigon, this airport continued to serve commercial flights. In 1983, it was extended to 1496 m. In 1993, the runway surface was reinforced, a 148.5-m-long taxiway and an apron of 120 x 60 m were added. During 1994-1995, the new terminal was built and operated until the airport was closed in 2012.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Mekong||Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City|
|Vietnam Airlines||Can Tho, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Rach Gia|
- List of airports in Vietnam
- Phu Quoc International Airport - new airport whose construction was completed at the end of November 2012 and was operational on 2 December 2012.
- Cum cang hang khong mien Nam, Official website of Phu Quoc Airport
- Vietnam Business News, December 2008
- "Vietnam Airlines capitalises on new Phu Quoc airport". Voice of Vietnam. 2012-12-03. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Phú Quốc công bố Quy hoạch phân khu đô thị Dương Đông - An Thới". Thanh Niên. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- Airport information for VVPQ at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.