Durham station (North Carolina)
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
|Location||601 West Main Street, Suite 103|
|Owned by||City of Durham|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Parking||74 spaces; free|
|Station code||DNC (Amtrak)|
1996 (station building)
|Passengers (FY2018)||75,210 4.57%|
Durham is an Amtrak station located in Durham, North Carolina. It is served by two passenger trains: the Carolinian and the Piedmont. The street address is 601 West Main Street and is located in West Village in downtown Durham. The station is open from 6:30am to 9:00pm daily. There is free, unattended parking at the station.
The station is located in the Walker Warehouse building of the former Liggett and Myers complex. It opened on July 8, 2009. From 1996 to 2009, the Carolinian and Piedmont stopped at an "Amshack" modular station across the street from the warehouse. The platform itself dates from 1990, when the Carolinian began service; passengers used a heated shelter until the "Amshack" was built in 1996.
The historic warehouse is a brick structure erected in 1897 by the American Tobacco Company trust. Included in the Bright Leaf National Register Historic District, the building is marked by impressive decorative brickwork such as corbeled pendants and mousetoothing at the cornice and parapet. The station was a joint venture of the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the city of Durham. The former entered into an agreement with developer Blue Devil Partners to lease and up-fit one third of the Walker Warehouse, while the city was responsible for 25 percent of the lease costs.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2018, State of North Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of North Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Wise, Jim; Siceloff, Bruce (July 9, 2009). "New train station a nice switch for Durham". The News & Observer. Archived from the original on July 25, 2009. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Durham Station". Amtrak's Great American Stations. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- Media related to Durham, North Carolina (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Durham, NC – Amtrak
- Durham Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Durham Station, NCDOT Rail Division including Station Improvements
- Durham, NC (DNC) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|This North Carolina train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|