Durham Technical Community College
|Durham Industrial Education Center (1961-1965)|
Durham Technical Institute (1965-1986)
|Established||Sept. 5, 1961|
|President||Dr. William "Bill" Ingram|
75 acres (0.3 km2)
|Colors||Green, Orange, White|
Durham Technical Community College (often Durham Tech) is a public two-year accredited institution of higher education and technical training school located in Durham, North Carolina, United States. Durham Tech's main campus is near downtown Durham, Research Triangle Park, and Raleigh-Durham International Airport. The college serves Northern Durham County at its Northern Durham Center, and in Orange County at its Orange County Campus completed in 2008.
Durham Tech serves nearly 20,000 students with curriculum and continuing education offerings. Durham Tech offers career programs leading to more than 100 degrees, certificates, and diplomas and university transfer programs. As of 2014[update], the school boasted nearly 500 full-time and part-time faculty members and 3,900 matriculated students.
On September 5, 1961, the institution was founded as Durham Industrial Education Center. On March 30, 1965, the institution changed its name to Durham Technical Institute, at the specification of the State Board of Education. On July 22, 1986, the institution changed its name to Durham Technical Community College, when the North Carolina General Assembly approved Durham Tech's request to add a university transfer program.
In 2007 Peter Moon led the Durham Tech Aggies to the sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, averaging 25 pts and 13 rebounds.
- 1961-1975: Harold K. Collins
- 1975-1980: John Crumpton
- November 1980-December 2007: Dr. Phail Wynn, Jr.
- January 2008–present: Dr. Bill Ingram
- Crystal Mangum - false accuser in the Duke lacrosse case and convicted murderer.
- Elizabeth A. Fenn - 2015 Pulitzer Prize in History winner and Chair of History Department at the University of Colorado at Boulder
- "Durham Tech unveils new logo" (PDF). Durham Technical Community College. March 23, 2015. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Crystal Gail Mangum: Profile of the Duke Rape Accuser | Fox News
- Elizabeth Fenn | History | University of Colorado Boulder