Dushanbe International Airport
|Dushanbe International Airport|
Фурудгоҳи Байналмилалии Душанбе
Furudgohi Bajnalmilalii Duşanbe
|Airport type||Joint (Civil and Military)|
|Owner||Government of Tajikistan|
|Operator||Government of Tajikistan|
|Elevation AMSL||2,575 ft / 785 m|
Dushanbe International Airport (IATA: DYU, ICAO: UTDD) is an airport in Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan. It is the a main hub for Somon Air and Tajik Air, with the latter having its head office on the property.
In 1924 the first airport was built in the country, in the city currently known as Dushanbe. In November 1929 a new airport was built to serve Stalinabad (past name of Dushanbe). In 1964 the current airport complex was put into operation. Over the years the airport has been reconstructed several times. A new French-built terminal, which can serve 1.5 million passengers a year, was opened on 3 September 2014.
Work has begun on upgrading facilities at the airport. Funds made available from unnamed sources will finance enhancements to the runway and apron and the upgrade of the terminal buildings (originally built in 1964) to handle modern western aircraft. A new airport has been scheduled to be built to the west of Dushanbe by Indian contractors, allowing the current Dushanbe International Airport to be converted in the future to a VIP airport.
To bring the Dushanbe airport up to international air traffic standards, an extension project has been launched to raise the overall space of the international terminal to 11,000 m² with a capacity of 5,000 passengers per hour. This project is being implemented with the financial support of France, which provided Tajikistan a long-term, low-interest €20 million loan. Tajikistan's own contribution will be €19 million (October 2012). Construction was completed ahead of schedule and the new terminal, which can serve 1.5 million passengers a year, was opened on 3 September 2014.
Airlines and destinations
- "Аэропорт Душанбе в 2016 году обслужил 1 миллион 156 тысяч пассаж". JSC International Airport Dushanbe. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- AIP Tajikistan Archived 31 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. 30 March-5 April 2004. 78. "Titov Street 31/2, Dushanbe International Airport, Dushanbe, 734006, Tajikistan."
- Radio Free Europe, (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeG56WoeVW0
- Xinhua, New terminal opens at Dushanbe International Airport; Sep 03,2014, http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=239150
- Airliner World, February 2007
- "France to Finance Dushanbe Airport Extension". The Gazette of Central Asia. Satrapia. 12 October 2012.
- "flydubai to Start Tajikstan Service from late-April 2013". Routesonline / Routes. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Somon air launches new air routes to Russia". Media group “ASIA-Plus”. Asia-Plus. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Somon Air, Flight Schedule for the period (30.03.2014– 25.10.2014)*,"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 May 2016. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Tajik air schedule Archived 2 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Uzbekistan Airways plans Dushanbe April 2017 launch". Routesonline. Retrieved 14 March 2017.