Dushanbe International Airport
|Dushanbe International Airport|
|Airport type||Joint (Civil and Military)|
|Owner||Government of Tajikistan|
|Operator||Government of Tajikistan|
|Elevation AMSL||2,575 ft / 785 m|
Dushanbe International Airport (IATA: DYU, ICAO: UTDD) is an airport in Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan. Dushanbe Airport is a main hub for Somon Air and Tajik Air. Tajik Air has its head office on the property. A new terminal (which can serve 1.5 million passengers a year) opened on 3 September 2014.
In 1924 the first airport was built in the country, in the city currently known as Dushanbe. In November 1929 a new airport was built to serve Stalinabad (past name of Dushanbe). In 1964 the current airport complex was put into operation. Over the years the airport has been reconstructed several times. A new French-built terminal, which can serve 1.5 million passengers a year, was opened on 3 September 2014.
Work has begun on upgrading facilities at the airport. Funds made available from unnamed sources will finance enhancements to the runway and apron and the upgrade of the terminal buildings (originally built in 1964) to handle modern western aircraft. A new airport has been scheduled to be built to the west of Dushanbe by Indian contractors, allowing the current Dushanbe International Airport to be converted in the future to a VIP airport.
To bring the Dushanbe airport up to international air traffic standards, an extension project has been launched to raise the overall space of the international terminal to 11,000 m² with a capacity of 5,000 passengers per hour. This project is being implemented with the financial support of France, which provided Tajikistan a long-term, low-interest €20 million loan. Tajikistan's own contribution will be €19 million (October 2012). Construction was completed ahead of schedule and the new terminal, which can serve 1.5 million passengers a year, was opened on 3 September 2014.
Airlines and destinations
- AIP Tajikistan
- "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. 30 March-5 April 2004. 78. "Titov Street 31/2, Dushanbe International Airport, Dushanbe, 734006, Tajikistan."
- Radio Free Europe, (video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeG56WoeVW0
- Xinhua, New terminal opens at Dushanbe International Airport Sep 03,2014, http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=239150
- Airliner World, February 2007
- "France to Finance Dushanbe Airport Extension". The Gazette of Central Asia (Satrapia). 12 October 2012.
- "flydubai to Start Tajikstan Service from late-April 2013". Routesonline / Routes. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Somon Air, Flight Schedule for the period (30.03.2014– 25.10.2014)*,http://www.somonair.com/flight_schedule.php
- "Первый самолет по маршруту Душанбе-Пекин вылетит 22 февраля". Avesta.tj. "Muhammad-Bilol" Ltd. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Tajik air schedule
- "Ural Airlines launches its second Kaluga service". ANNA.AERO. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "С 1 октября аэропорт Бегишево открывает регулярные рейсы в Душанбе". БИЗНЕС Online. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Airport information for UTDD at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- www.airport.tj – official website (Russian)