Dushyant Kumar 1933–1975
1 September 1933|
Rajpur Navada Village, Bijnor District, Uttar Pradesh, British India
|Died||30 December 1975
|Occupation||Poet, dramatist, Litterateur, Gazal, translator|
|Alma mater||MA (Hindi), Allahabad|
|Notable works||Ek Kanth Vishpayi
Mann Ke Kon, published in 1963
Dushyant Kumar (1 September 1933 – 30 December 1975) was a poet of modern Hindustani literature. In India, he is generally recognised as one of the foremost Hindustani poets of the 20th century. He was also a Dramatist, Litterateur and Gazal writer.
His literary career started at Allahabad. He wrote many dramas, poems, Gazals, short stories. He actively participated in Seminars at Parimal Academy of Literature. He also worked with Naye Patte, an important Indian Newsletter of that time, Akashwani and Rajbhasha Section in Madhya Pradesh. Corruption was a major theme in his writings. His poetry has become an inspiration for an whole generation of emerging poets.
|Poem||Poetic Drama||Drama||Ghazal||Short Stories||Novel|
|कहाँ तो तय था||एक कण्ठ विषपायी||और मसीहा मर गया||साये में धूप||मन के कोण||छोटे-छोटे सवाल|
|कैसे मंजर||आँगन में एक वृक्ष|
|खंडहर बचे हुए हैं||दुहरी जिंदगी|
|जो शहतीर है|
|ज़िंदगानी का कोई मकसद|
|आज सड़कों पर लिखे हैं|
|मत कहो, आकाश में|
|धूप के पाँव|
|गुच्छे भर अमलतास|
|सूर्य का स्वागत|
|आवाजों के घेरे|
|जलते हुए वन का वसन्त|
|आज सड़कों पर|
|आग जलती रहे|
|आग जलनी चाहिए|
|कहीं पे धूप की चादर|
|बाढ़ की संभावनाएँ|
|इस नदी की धार में||koi awaaz honi chahiye||kon kehta hai aasman me|
|हो गई है पीर पर्वत-सी|
Dushyant Kumar was married to Smt. Rajeshwari Tyagi.
Death and legacy
Dushyant Kumar died at the age of 42 on 31 December 1975, due to a cardiac arrest in Bhopal. A contemprory of Dr. Harivanshrai Bachchan, Dushyant made valuable contributions to Hindi and Urdu Literature during his lifetime.
- The poem "Ho Gayi hai Peer Parvat Si"(हो गई है पीर पर्वत-सी) was sung often by Arvind Kejriwal during the Anti Corruption Movement (2011–2012) in India.
- These lines of Dushyant Kumar Ji from his Ghazal 'Saye Me Dhoop' are often used in many programmes, and the Hindi film "Halla Bol" मेरे सीने में नहीं तो तेरे सीने मे सही, हो कहीं भी आग, लेकिन आग जलनी चाहिए
- The Indian Department of posts issued a commemorative stamp with Dushyant Kumar's image on it, in September 2009.
- A museum dedicated to Dushyant Kumar (Dushyant Kumar Smarak Pandulipi Sangrahalaya) exists in C.T.T. nagar, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Datta, Amaresh (2006). The Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature (Volume 2). Sahitya Akademi. p. 1391. ISBN 978-81-260-1194-0.
- Kumar, 'Dushyant. aaye mein Dhhoop: Dushyant Kuman Ki Ghazalon Ka Sangrah. New Delhi: Radhakrishna Prakashan Private Limited.
- "Poet's letter applauding Amitabh Bachchan on display at Madhya Pradesh museum". The Indian Express. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Arvind Kejriwal singing Dushyant ji's 'Hogayi hai peer parvat si'". You Tube. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Arvind Kejriwal sings ho gayi hai peer parwat si". You Tube. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Dushyant Kumar". First Impressions : Blog. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Dushyant Kumar stamp – India". Stamps of the world. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Dushyant Kumar museum". Wonobo. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Poet's letter applauding Amitabh Bachchan on display". The Times of India. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2014.