Nippert with the Doosan Bears
|Doosan Bears – No. 40|
May 6, 1981 |
Wheeling, West Virginia
|MLB: September 8, 2005, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|KBO: April 2, 2011, for the Doosan Bears|
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||5.31|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.38|
|Career highlights and awards|
Dustin David Nippert (born May 6, 1981) is an American professional baseball player. He is a pitcher for the Doosan Bears of the KBO League and had previously played for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball.
Early life and education
Nippert grew up in the small Ohio town of Beallsville, where he played baseball for Beallsville High School. He attended West Virginia University, where he played college baseball for the Mountaineers in 2002.
Major League Baseball
Nippert was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2002 Major League Baseball draft in the 15th round and made his major league debut against the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 8, 2005 with the same organization that drafted him. On March 28, 2008, he was traded to the Texas Rangers for Jose Marte.
The 2009 season is best on record for Nippert in his major league career, when he compiled a 5-3 record with an ERA of 3.88 in 69.2 innings for the Rangers. During the next year, he was able to shake off a scary incident on July 19, 2010 when he was hit on the side of the head by a line drive hit by Austin Jackson against the Detroit Tigers. The ball was hit so hard that it ricocheted off of his head and past third base into left field. Nippert walked off the field smiling to a standing ovation in Detroit but was placed on the 15-day DL after the game.
Korea Baseball Organization
On March 3, 2011, Nippert signed with the Doosan Bears of the Korea Baseball Organization, after an attempt to sign with a Japanese baseball team had failed. Due to his solid performances in a Doosan uniform, the team's fans have christened him "Ninunim" (Korean: 니느님), with the name being a combination of his last name and the Korean word for God "Hanunim" (하느님). In the 2015 KBO Post-season, he pitched 26⅔ scoreless innings during the Bears run to the fourth Korean Series championship in the team's history. On November 14, 2016, he was voted as MVP of the 2016 KBO League season, becoming the fourth foreign player to be awarded in the 34-year history of the league. On January 23, 2017, Nippert re-signed with the Doosan Bears for another year, earning 2.1 million dollars per year, which is the highest annual income ever of a foreign player in the Korean Baseball Organization.
- "West Virginia University Baseball Players Who Made it to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- Axisa, Mike. "Dustin Nippert Signed With Team In Korea". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- "Dustin Nippert, the "Ace" on the mound". The INNERview. Episode 109. March 2014. Arirang TV. Retrieved March 8, 2017.
- [프로야구]두산 니퍼트 "니느님? 그저 고마울 뿐" (in Korean). Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Yoo Jee-ho (November 14, 2016). "American pitcher voted MVP of S. Korean baseball". english.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- Yoo Jee-ho (January 23, 2017). "Reigning S. Korean baseball MVP becomes highest-paid foreign player". english.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Doosan Bears' Dustin Nippert to Wed Korean Woman". Chosun Ilbo. November 9, 2015. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "두산 베어스 니퍼트의 '한국사랑' 인터뷰". SBS Sports. January 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- "MVP-winning pitcher upset with team official's bad-mouthing, seeks 'fair' deal". Yonhap News. South Korea: Yonhap. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Nippert, Dustin (2007). "Arizona Diamondbacks - Dustin Nippert". MLB.
Carrie, I wanted to take the time to tell you what you mean to me and our family. In this world we live in everything is unstable, except for you. You are the one true constant thing that has always been there for me. Caden and I are very lucky to have a mom and wife like you in our lives. Having you by my side makes me a better person. If it wasn't for you who knows where I would be today. I love you with all my heart and wanted to wish you a very Happy Mothers Day!!! Dustin
- 두산 ‘對 삼성 필승카드’ 니퍼트, 3연패를 막아라 (in Korean). Retrieved May 15, 2015.