||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
September 8, 1971 |
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
Dustin J. O'Halloran (born September 8, 1971) is an American pianist and composer. O'Halloran composes scores for film and TV, and forms half of the collaboration A Winged Victory for the Sullen.
Life and career
O’Halloran was born in Phoenix, Arizona, and spent most of his childhood in Hawaii and Los Angeles. While studying art at Santa Monica College, he met singer Sara Lov, with whom he founded indie rock band Devics in 1998. When the group signed with Bella Union in 2001, they relocated to Romagna, Italy, where O'Halloran lived for seven years.
In 2004, O'Halloran released his first record as a solo artist, Piano Solos. He has since released three more solo records, the latest of which is Lumiere (2011), which featured contributions by Peter Broderick and Adam Wiltzie (Stars of the Lid), and was mixed by Jóhann Jóhannsson.
With A Winged Victory for the Sullen, his collaboration with Adam Wiltzie, O'Halloran has released two albums, A Winged Victory for the Sullen (2011) and Atomos (2014). The latter is also the original score for the identically titled dance piece by choreographer Wayne McGregor and his company Wayne McGregor Random Dance.
Since the release of Piano Solos Volumes 1 and 2 in 2004 and 2006, O’Halloran has gone on to score a number of films and TV shows. These include Sofia Coppola's 2006 film Marie Antoinette, and Drake Doremus’ Like Crazy (2011) and Breathe In (2013). Most recently, he’s worked on Indian drama Umrika – which won the Audience Award at Sundance, and gave him his first opportunity to compose for a full string orchestra – as well as Transparent, a TV series created by Jill Soloway for Amazon Studios. In 2015, O'Halloran was awarded the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music for his original theme for Transparent.
Dustin O'Halloran divides his time between Berlin and Los Angeles.
- Piano Solos (Splinter, 2004 — writer, producer)
- Piano Solos Vol. 2 (Filter/Splinter, 2006 — writer, producer)
- Vorleben (Sonic Pieces, 2010 — writer, producer)
- Lumiere (Fat Cat, 2011 — writer, producer)
- If You Forget Me (Bella Union, 1998 — writer, co-producer)
- My Beautiful Sinking Ship (Bella Union, 2001 — writer, co-producer)
- The Stars at St. Andrea (Bella Union, 2003 — writer, producer)
- Push the Heart (Filter, 2006 — writer, producer)
- A Winged Victory for the Sullen (Kranky, 2011 — Arranger, Composer, Engineer, Main Personnel, Score)
- Atomos (Kranky, 2014 — Arranger, Composer, Engineer, Primary Artist, Score)
Film scores and soundtracks
- One Last Score (1999 — original song)
- Viva Las Nowhere (2001 — song)
- L'Amore Probabilmente (2001 — songs)
- Easy Six (2003 — song)
- Stranger Than Fiction (2006 — performer)
- Marie Antoinette (2006 — original score)
- Remember the Daze (2008 — original score)
- An American Affair (2008 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Like Crazy (2011 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- The Other Dream Team (2012 — original score)
- Now Is Good (2012 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- The Beauty Inside (2012 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Breathe In (2013 — original score)
- Eclipse (Short) (film) (2013 — original score)
- Posthumous (2014 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Deliá (2015 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Umrika (2015 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Equals (2015 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- American Masters (2015 — original score w/soundtrack release)
- Lion (2016)
- Transparent (2014–present – original score and opening theme)