September 8, 1971 |
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
O’Halloran was born in Phoenix, Arizona, and spent most of his childhood in Hawaii and Los Angeles. While studying art at Santa Monica College, he met singer Sara Lov, with whom he founded indie rock band Dévics in 1998. When the group signed with Bella Union in 2001, they relocated to Romagna, Italy, where O'Halloran lived for seven years.
In 2004, O'Halloran released his first record as a solo artist, Piano Solos. He has since released three more solo records, the latest of which is Lumiere (2011), which featured contributions by Peter Broderick and Adam Wiltzie (Stars of the Lid), and was mixed by Jóhann Jóhannsson.
A Winged Victory For The Sullen
With A Winged Victory for the Sullen, his collaboration with Adam Wiltzie, O'Halloran has released two albums, A Winged Victory for the Sullen (2011) and Atomos (2014). The latter is also the original score for the identically titled dance piece by choreographer Wayne McGregor and his company Wayne McGregor Random Dance.
In 2015, they were invited to perform at the Royal Albert Hall in London as part of the BBC Proms. The duo scored their first film together in 2016, entitled In the Shadow of Iris by French director Jalil Lespert.
Film score works
Since the release of Piano Solos Volumes 1 and 2 in 2004 and 2006, O’Halloran has gone on to score a number of films and TV shows. These include Sofia Coppola's 2006 film Marie Antoinette, and Drake Doremus’ Like Crazy (2011), which won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance.
In 2014, O’Halloran worked on Indian drama Umrika, which won the Audience Award at Sundance, and gave him his first opportunity to compose for a full string orchestra.
In the same year he was also asked to provide the music for Transparent, the acclaimed TV series created by Jill Soloway for Amazon Studios. O'Halloran was awarded the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music for his original theme for Transparent in 2015.
In 2016, O’Halloran collaborated with Hauschka on the score for the Oscar-nominated film Lion. The score of the film was nominated for many major awards including the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, BAFTAs and Critics’ Choice Awards.
|2004||Piano Solos||Splinter||Writer, producer|
|2006||Piano Solos Vol. 2||Filter/Splinter||Writer, producer|
|2010||Vorleben||Sonic Pieces||Writer, producer|
|2011||Lumiere||Fat Cat||Writer, producer|
|2017||3 Movements (EP)||1631 Recordings||Writer, producer|
|2017||Witness||Into Me You See||Writer, producer|
- Lion (Sony, 2016) (with Hauschka)
- Iris (Erased Tapes, 2016) (as A Winged Victory For The Sullen)
- Umrika (Splinter, 2015)
- Breath In (Milan Records, 2013)
- The Beauty Inside (Splinter, 2013)
- Like Crazy (Relativity Music, 2012)
- Now Is Good (Polydor, 2012)
- An American Affair (Splinter, 2009)
- If You Forget Me (Bella Union, 1998 — writer, co-producer)
- My Beautiful Sinking Ship (Bella Union, 2001 — writer, co-producer)
- The Stars at St. Andrea (Bella Union, 2003 — writer, producer)
- Push the Heart (Filter, 2006 — writer, producer)
- A Winged Victory for the Sullen (Kranky, 2011 — Arranger, Composer, Engineer, Main Personnel, Score)
- Atomos (Kranky, 2014 — Arranger, Composer, Engineer, Primary Artist, Score)
- Iris (Erased Tapes, 2016)
|2018||Save Me||Nick Murphy||Composer||with Bryan Senti|
|2017||The Current War||Alfonso Gomez-Rejon||Composer|
|2017||God's Own Country||Francis Lee||Composer|
|2016||In the Shadow of Iris||Jalil Lespert||Composer|
|2016||Queimafobia||Daniel Sánchez Arévalo||Composer||Short|
|2016||Lion||Garth Davis||Composer||with Volker Bertelmann|
|2016||I Love Dick||Sarah Gubbins, Jill Soloway (creators)||Composer||TV Series|
|2015||This Is Me||Composer||TV Mini-Series documentary|
|2015||American Masters||Susan Lacy||Composer||TV Series documentary|
|2015||Deliá||Thomas Scott Stanton||Composer||Short|
|2014–2017||Transparent||Jill Soloway (creator)||Composer||TV Series|
|2013||Eclipse||Linda Arkelian, David Cooper||Composer||Short|
|2013||Breathe In||Drake Doremus||Composer|
|2012||Now Is Good||Ol Parker||Composer|
|2012||The Beauty Inside||Drake Doremus||Composer||TV Mini-Series|
|2012||The Other Dream Team||Marius A. Markevicius||Composer||Documentary|
|2011||Like Crazy||Drake Doremus||Composer|
|2010||Want to See Something?||Tomas Jonsgården||Composer||Short|
|2008||An American Affair||William Olsson||Composer|
|2007||Remember the Daze||Jess Manafort||Composer|
|2006||Marie Antoinette||Sofia Coppola||Composer|
|2017||Golden Globe||Best Original Score||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2017||Oscar||Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2017||BAFTA Film Award||Original Music||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2017||GFCA Award||Best Original Score||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2016||HMMA Award||Best Original Score - Feature Film||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2016||PFCS Award||Best Original Score||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2016||Critics’ Choice Awards||Best Score||Lion (2016)||Nominated||Shared with: Volker Bertelmann|
|2015||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Main Title Theme Music||Transparent||Won|
|2014||HMMA Award||Main Title - TV Show / Digital Series||Transparent||Nominated|
Dustin O'Halloran divides his time between Berlin and Los Angeles.
- "Dustin O'Halloran - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music". BBC. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "Dustin O'Halloran | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "A Conversation With Dustin O'Halloran". BMI.com. 2015-08-13. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "Subscribe | theaustralian". www.theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "Prom 27: Late Night With … BBC Radio 6 Music". BBC Music Events. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "The story behind 'Transparent's Emmy-nominated theme song". EW.com. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "Composer Dustin O'Halloran Talks Transparent and Working With Jill Soloway". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Vinyl, Music On. "OUT NOW: LION ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Music On Vinyl". www.musiconvinyl.com. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Furman, Brian (2017-02-26). "2017 Academy Awards Preview: Best Original Score". Heavy.com. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Ehrlich, David. "How Hauschka And Dustin O'Halloran Helped Lion Find Its Way Home | IndieWire". www.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Lowder, J. Bryan (2017-02-09). "La La Land May Be a Shoo-in for Best Original Score, but Here's Who Really Deserves the Oscar". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Merry, Stephanie; Merry, Stephanie (2017-01-24). "Oscar nominations 2017: Complete list of nominees; 'La La Land's' 14 ties record". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "Film composers talk Oscars in KUSC conversations". Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- Staff, Variety (2015-07-16). "Emmy Award Nominations: Full List of 2015 Emmy Nominees". Variety. Retrieved 2017-08-13.