Dutch Reformed Church in Namibia
|Dutch Reformed Church in Namibia|
|Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk in Namibië|
|Associations||Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa (NGK)|
The Dutch Reformed Church in Namibia (DRCN; Afrikaans: Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk in Namibië) is a Christian denomination in Namibia. It is one of ten synods of the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa (NGK), and the only one outside South Africa. It covers all of Namibia except for the Eastern Caprivi Strip.
The Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa began mission work in Namaqualand in the 1880s, and the first congregation in German South West Africa was established in 1898. The DRCN became an autonomous entity in 1957, when it held its first synod.
As a synod of the NGK, the DRCN adheres to the Ecumenical creeds (the Apostles' Creed the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed) and the Three Forms of Unity (the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dort). The General Synod of the NGK stipulates things such as Bible translations, liturgical forms and hymnals.
In 2015, the NGK voted to recognise same-sex unions. This decision did not extend to the DRCN, since Namibia does not recognise same-sex relationships. The General Synod also resolved to ordain LGBT clergy, and to remove the requirement for them to be celibate. The DRCN continues to hold to the celibacy requirement, and has stated that they "undertake to admit theological candidates who have a same-gender sexual orientation and who live celibate to the ministry."
- "A synoptic introduction". Dutch Reformed Church in Namibia. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Sinodes". Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Buys, G. L.; Nambala, S. W. "History of the church in Namibia, 1805 - 1990. An introduction". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Members of CCN". Council of Churches in Namibia. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Heita, Desie (23 September 2016). "Namibian churches battle with LGBT issues". New Era. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Confessions of Faith". Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Dutch Reformed Church to recognise gay marriage". eNCA. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Ngubane, Sphelele (13 October 2005). "Dutch Reformed Church's radical gay ruling". Independent Online. Retrieved 8 November 2016.