Dutchess Community College
|President||Pamela R. Edington|
|Location||Poughkeepsie, NY, US
130 acres (0.53 km2)
|Colors||Blue and buff|
|Affiliations||National Junior College Athletic Association, Region III, Mid-Hudson Athletic Conference|
Dutchess Community College (also known as SUNY Dutchess, Dutchess, or DCC) is one of 30 community colleges within the State University of New York system (SUNY). It is located in Dutchess County, New York, United States, and is situated over 130 acres (0.5 km2) on a hill above the town of Poughkeepsie. The college was founded in 1957 on the site of a former tuberculosis hospital which now makes up Bowne Hall, the campus's main administrative building. More than 60 academic programs are offered, leading to associate degrees or certificates. In addition, the Office of Community Services and Special Programs provides non-credit courses, GED completion, ESL classes, and work-force training to residents of the County and beyond.
One-third of all Dutchess County college-bound high school graduates attend Dutchess Community College each year. The majority of alumni live and work in the Hudson Valley, and many of them have become civic and community leaders in their towns, villages and counties.
DCC operates a satellite center at DCC South in Wappingers Falls, New York which serves residents of the southern part of the county. Almost 20% of the DCC student body take classes at DCC South. A variety of core and liberal arts courses are offered, as well as a regular selection of business and criminal justice classes. In addition, the College’s Paramedic Program is situated here. During the fall and spring semesters, DCC South offers approximately 170 course sections and about 50 sections are held during the three summer sessions.
In 2007, the College marked its 50th anniversary. Since enrolling its first class in 1957, DCC has awarded degrees and certificates to over 30,000 graduates and has provided educational opportunities for many thousands of other students.
- Memorandum of Understanding: Dutchess Community College and the State University of New York January 2007. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Dutchess Community College Profile". http://www.petersons.com. Lawrenceville, New Jersey: Peterson's. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Dutchess Community College Archival Images Gallery Before DCC: Samuel and Nettie Bowne Hospital. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- SUNY Community College 2008 Viewbook
- "DCC South", Dutchess Community College
- 2011-2012 DCC President's Report Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Online Campus Tour - Conklin Hall Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Official website
- Hudson River Valley Heritage website – photos and other documents from DCC's first 50 years.