Duvel Moortgat Brewery
|270,000 hl (2001)|
Duvel Moortgat Brewery (Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat) is a Flemish family-controlled brewery founded in 1871. Its strong golden pale ale, Duvel, is exported to more than forty countries. Duvel (pronounced doo-vel) is Brabantian, Ghent and Antwerp dialect for devil, the standard Dutch word being duivel [ˈdœy̯vəl].
Moortgat brewery was founded in 1871 by Jan-Leonard Moortgat, who was descended from a family of brewers that lived in Steenhuffel, Belgium. In the 1950s, the third generation of Moortgats took control of the brewery.
In the early 1970s, when the company was struggling financially, Moortgat bottled and distributed the Danish beer, Tuborg. The two companies ended this arrangement in the early 1980s, but it did save the brewery who, by then, had managed to also set up massive distribution channels for their flagship beer, Duvel. In June 1999, Duvel Moortgat NV went public on Euronext Brussels.
Duvel Moortgat was an original investor in the Brewery Ommegang craft brewery founded in Cooperstown, NY, in the late 1990s. More recently, the Belgian company took over complete control of the brewery and founded a stateside sales organization Duvel USA to handle both Ommegang and Duvel Moortgat brands and others.
In 2010 Duvel Moortgat nv acquired of 100 percent of the shares of the De Koninck Brewery. With this acquisition, Duvel Moortgat was able to expand its portfolio of specialty beers.
In 2014, Duvel Moortgat nv acquired Boulevard Brewing Company, which is located in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S. In July 2015, it was announced that Duvel Moortgat would be acquiring a stake in Paso Robles, California craft brewer Firestone Walker Brewing Company.
To commemorate the end of World War I, the Moortgats named their main beer Victory Ale. In the 1920s, an avid drinker described the beer as "nen echten duvel" (a real devil in Brabantian Dutch) - perhaps in reference to its formidable alcohol content (8.5% ABV) - and the name of the beer was changed to Duvel. It has become the brewery's flagship beer. Considered by many the definitive version of the Belgian Strong Pale Ale style, Duvel is brewed with Pilsner malt and dextrose, and hopped with Saaz hops and Styrian Goldings, the yeast still stems from the original culture of Scottish yeast bought by Albert Moortgat during a business tour of the U.K. just after World War I.
In 2007, a special version of the regular Duvel, which typically uses 2 hop varieties, was released. This limited-edition product added American hops of the Amarillo variety, boosted the alcohol content to 9.5% ABV and is called Duvel Tripel Hop. In 2010, a second limited-edition of Tripel Hop was brewed after a bet with the Duvel Moortgat CEO. If the Facebook group We want Duvel Tripel Hop reached at least 10,000 members, a second edition would be brewed. The group reached 10,000 members within a few months and the CEO stuck to his promise.
In 2012, the brewery decided to make the Tripel Hop an annual limited edition product. The 2012, being the first, was made with the American Citra variety. The 2013 version uses Sorachi Ace, a Japanese variety.
The 2014 version of Duvel Tripel Hop uses the increasingly popular Mosaic hop.
In 1963, Moortgat began brewing its Maredsous line of abbey beers, under license of the monks of Maredsous Abbey. There are currently three beers offered under the Maredsous name: Maredsous Blonde (blonde ale, 6% ABV), Maredsous Brune (dubbel, 8% ABV), and Maredsous Triple (trippel, 10% ABV).
In 1930, the brewery launched Bel Pils.
The Vedett, a pilsener, was created in 1945 by Albert Moortgat, Jan's son. Since 2003, Vedett has been relaunched as a trendy luxury lager, aimed at young customers in upscale urban bars. Vedett currently has a marketing scheme that gives customers the chance to have photos of themselves placed on the labels of bottles. These bottles are then sold commercially, so one never knows when one might run into one in a bar.
From 2001 is brewery 50% owner of Czech brand Bernard from Humpolec city. Pivovar_Humpolec
- Kevin Collison (October 17, 2013). "Kansas City’s Boulevard Brewing is sold to Belgian firm". Kansas City Star. Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- Duvel - Intro
- Duvel - Duvel Moortgat Brewery acquires Brasserie d'Achouffe
- "Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Announcement". firestonebeer.com. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter - Pleasures of consorting with the devil of a brew". Beerhunter.com. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Lancering Duvel Tripel Hop 2012". Nieuwsblad.be. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Duvel Tripel Hop". Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Maredsous Bière d'Abbaye". Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Vedett official website, Personalise your case". Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "A Buyout on the Boulevard: Duvel Moortgat to Acquire Kansas City Craft Brewer". Brewbound.com. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Breweries Duvel Moortgat, Firestone Walker to combine operations". usatoday.com. 2015-07-17. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- Official website
- Online Catalogue of all the different Duvel glasses
- Duvel Moortgat (English) Brewery details from BeerTourism.com