Allen at the 2015 Indianapolis 500
|No. 83 Indianapolis Colts|
|Date of birth:||February 24, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Fayetteville, North Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Fayetteville (NC) Sanford|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 64|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Dwayne Lamont Allen (born February 24, 1990) is an American football tight end for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Clemson University, earned consensus All-American honors, and was recognized as the most outstanding college tight end in 2011. He was selected by the Colts in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and was considered one of the top tight end prospects for 2012.
Allen was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina. He attended Terry Sanford High School in Fayetteville, and played high school football for the Terry Sanford Bulldogs. During his career he had 68 receptions for 1,257 yards.
Allen attended Clemson University, where he played for the Clemson Tigers football team from 2008 to 2011. He was redshirted in 2008. In 2009 he started six of 14 games and had 10 receptions for 108 yards and three touchdowns. He started all 13 games in 2010 and was a second-team All-ACC selection after recording 33 receptions for 373 yards with a touchdown.
Through the first seven games of his junior season, Allen had 27 receptions for 381 yards and four touchdowns.
Allen was drafted 64th overall by the Indianapolis Colts in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was the second tight-end taken in the draft as well as the second taken by the Colts. He helped fellow rookie Andrew Luck lead the Colts to an 11-5 record. Despite their draft positions, Allen actually bested his teammate (taken 34th overall), Coby Fleener, in overall production ranking 7th best among the league's rookie receiving leaders. Allen and fellow rookie teammates T.Y. Hilton, Fleener, Vick Ballard, and LaVon Brazill combined for an NFL record 3,108 yards - the most by any rookie class playing for an NFL club since the 1970 NFL merger. Interestingly, the second best performance was the Colts 1999 rookie class with 2,751 yards. Allen finished the 2012 season with 521 receiving yards on 45 catches, and 3 touchdowns. Allen was intended to be a large part of new Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton's offense in 2013, but was placed on the injured reserve following a hip injury in the first game of the season. He finished the season with one catch for 20 yards and a touchdown.
Allen battled a knee injury late in the 2014 season, but started 13 games for the Colts and finished with 29 receptions, 395 yards, and 8 touchdowns. On November 8, 2015, Allen was poked in the eye by Denver Broncos' player Aqib Talib. Talib was given a one-game suspension for the incident the following day. On December 30, 2015, Allen was placed on injured reserve.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- "NFL Draft Scout". NFL Draft Scout. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- 2010 All-ACC Football Teams Announced Archived January 25, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ESPN.com stats". Espn.go.com. 1990-02-24. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Allen graduates from Clemson
- "2012 NFL Draft Tracker â€". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "NFL Stats: by Player Category". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Craig Kelley (2013-01-05). "Outstanding Class". Colts.com. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Dwayne Allen NFL Football Statistics". pro-football-reference.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Jones, Lindsay H. (November 9, 2015). "NFL Week 9 overreactions: Broncos exposed?". usatoday.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Busbee, Jay (November 8, 2015). "Aqib Talib kills Broncos' chances to defeat Colts with ridiculous eye-gouge". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Spano, Brandon (November 8, 2015). "Broncos Kubiak opens up about Aqib Talib: "He has to keep his composure out there"". bsndenver.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (November 9, 2015). "Aqib Talib suspended one game for eye-poke". nfl.com. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts place Dwayne Allen on injured reserve". Fox 59. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- "Indianapolis Colts make roster move". blogs.colts.com. March 7, 2016. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- Florio, Mike (March 7, 2016). "Colts keep Dwayne Allen, on a four-year deal". profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved March 7, 2016.