|Successor||Coin Furniture Ltd.|
|Founded||May 9, 2002|
|Founders||Aamir Ahmad, Sean Galligan, Dave Garrett|
Number of locations
|Products||Home accessories, furniture|
Dwell is a retailer of furniture in the United Kingdom. The company was originally established in 2002 as Dwell Retail Ltd., and opened its first store in London the following year. After falling into administration, it was re-established in July 2013. The company was acquired by British retail group DFS in August 2014.
Founded by Aamir Ahmad, Sean Galligan and Dave Garrett, Dwell began trading with a single store in Balham in 2003. It grew across London, with stores in Balham, Islington, Kingston, Richmond, Tottenham Court Road and Westfield.
In 2010, the company received £5m in funding from Key Capital Partners. The company announced plans to expand to 60 stores and 20 concessions across the UK within five years, and opened a flagship store on Tottenham Court Road. By the end of 2010 the company had 24 stores, including a concession in House of Fraser, and had locations across UK including Birmingham, Cardiff, Manchester and Glasgow.
In November 2012 the founders left the business and a new management team was installed by Key Capital Partners. On 20 June 2013, Dwell Retail announced that they had ceased trading with immediate effect, and all 24 stores plus the concession outlet were closed.
In July 2013 the original founders formed a new company Coin Furniture Ltd (CFL), which brought the brand out of administration. Headquartered at London Bridge and with distribution based in Dunstable, the company took on 120 former staff and re-opened with six stores.
In February 2014 Dwell entered into a marketing partnership with larger retailer, DFS. This led to Dwell's acquisition by DFS in August 2014.
- Harrison, Nicola (20 August 2014). "DFS acquires furniture brand Dwell to attract 'young urban shoppers'". Retail Week. EMAP. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- Contact page from Dwell website retrieved via Wayback Machine, showing one store in Balham, 2003 Dwell Retail in the Wayback machine, 2003
- KCP Becomes Part Of The Furniture With Dwell Cambridge Network
- Dwell acquires £5m funding
- Dwell hires chairman as it eyes Habitat acquisition Retail Week
- Dwell to rapidly expand to 60 stores in UK
- "Dwell Retail Limited". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved November 21, 2010.
- Dwell ups marketing as it prepares to open London flagship Marketing Week
- Stores page at Dwell Retail website Dwell Website
- "Furniture retailer Dwell ceases trading". BBC. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Blitz, Roger (2014-08-20). "DFS buys smaller furniture chain Dwell". FT. FT. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|