Dwellers in the Mirage
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
Dwellers in the Mirage is a fantasy novel by A. Merritt. It was first published in book form in 1932 by Horace Liveright. The novel was originally serialized in six parts in the magazine Argosy beginning with the January 23, 1932 issue.
The novel concerns American Leif Langdon who discovers a warm valley in Alaska. Two races inhabit the valley, the Little People and a branch of an ancient Mongolian race; they worship the evil Kraken named Khalk'ru which they summon from another dimension to offer human sacrifice. The inhabitants recognize Langdon as the reincarnation of their long dead hero, Dwayanu. Dwayanu's spirit possesses Langdon and starts a war with the Little People. Langdon eventually fights off the presence of Dwayanu and destroys the Kraken.
There are variant endings of the work. In the original, Leif's love dies, but the publisher inartistically has her survive. The original tragic ending has been reinstated in some/many recent reprints.
- 1932, US, Argosy, Pub date 23 January 1932, magazine serialization in 6 parts
- 1932, US, Horace Liveright OCLC 1929358, Pub date 1932, Hardback, first book publication
- 1932, UK, Skeffington OCLC 17605910, Pub date 1932, Hardback, reprinted 1934
- 1941, US, Fantastic Novels, Pub date April 1941, magazine, reprinted September 1949
- 1944, US, Avon MM24 OCLC 8579205, Pub date 1944, Paperback, reprinted 1952
- 1950, US, The Grandon Company OCLC 3332088, Pub date 1950, Hardback
- "Recommended Reading," F&SF, June 1951, p.84
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 316.
- Crawford, Jr., Joseph H.; James J. Donahue; Donald M. Grant (1953). "333", A Bibliography of the Science-Fantasy Novel. Providence, RI: The Grandon Company. p. 45. OCLC 3924496.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1978). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 309. ISBN 0-911682-22-8.
- Dwellers in the Mirage at the Australian Project Gutenberg site.