Dwight Jones (American football)
|No. 83 Arizona Rattlers|
|Date of birth:||January 1, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Burlington, North Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school:||Burlington (NC) Cummings|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
Dwight Jones Jr. (born January 1, 1989) is an American football wide receiver for the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League (AFL). He was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He played college football for the North Carolina Tar Heels.
Jones attended Hugh M. Cummings High School in Burlington, North Carolina before transferring to Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Virginia. As a senior he was a Parade All-American after he had 67 receptions for 1,396 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Jones went on to play for The University of North Carolina and as a freshman in 2008, Jones played in three games but did not record a reception. As a sophomore in 2009, he played in seven games and had five receptions for 21 yards. As a junior in 2010 he started in 12 of 13 games and had 62 receptions for 946 yards with four touchdowns. He was named an honorable mention All-ACC. As a senior in 2011, he played in all 13 games and had 85 receptions for 1196 yards and twelve touchdowns.
After going undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, Jones was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent. In May 2012, he informed the Texans of his decision to not pursue a professional football career. The team placed him on the reserve/did not report list shortly thereafter. He was released on June 12, 2013.
New York Jets
Jones was assigned to the Arizona Rattlers on October 24, 2014.
Jones was charged with felony killing an animal by starvation on April 6, 2015. Police found a dead dog lying half inside and half outside a dog house and another dog that was starving on February 19, 2015, at a time when the air temperature was 14 degrees.
- Jones Rivals.com
- Dwight Jones Scout.com
- 2010 All-ACC Football Teams Announced
- Smith, Michael David (July 24, 2012). "Dwight Jones doesn’t report to camp, Texans still hope he will". profootballtalk.com. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Fensom, Michael (18 December 2013). "After death of son, Dwight Jones completes painful journey back to NFL by signing with Jets". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 22 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Lange, Randy (May 19, 2014). "Jets Sign LB A.J. Edds, OL Markus Zusevics". New York Jets. Archived from the original on May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Janicello, Natalie Allison (8 April 2015). "Former UNC football player charged with starving dog". The Times-News. Retrieved 8 April 2015.