Lowery with the New York Jets in 2009
|No. 20 San Diego Chargers|
|Date of birth:||January 23, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Santa Cruz, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||212 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Soquel (CA)|
|College:||San José State|
|NFL draft:||2008 / Round: 4 / Pick: 113|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Dwight Larte Lowery (born January 23, 1986) is an American football safety for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at San Jose State.
Lowery attended Soquel High School in Soquel, California where he was an All Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League running back for the Knights during his senior year. Lowery broke the school's scoring record for a single season (25 touchdowns) and the County's single game scoring record (7 TD; 5 rushing, 1 receiving and a returned interception for the games final he earned All-League defensive back his junior and senior year having 20 interceptions in 20 games.
Dwight Lowery previously attended Cabrillo College in Aptos, California where he played Free Safety and special teams for the Seahawks. During Lowery's Freshman season at Cabrillo College, he received All State defensive back honors and lead California in INTs (9). His Sophomore season was cut short with a hand injury but he still managed four more interceptions in the games following the injury. He left Cabrillo with 13 picks in 15 games. He also led the state in return yards in 2004.
San Jose State
Lowery was a two-time All-America selection AFCA and FWAA All-America cornerback for San Jose State University. Lowery led the nation in 2006 with 9 interceptions. In his senior season at San Jose State University Lowery recorded 4 interceptions and was named to the all-WAC team in 2007. In the post-season 83rd East-West Shrine Game, Lowery had 2 interceptions.
Awards and honors
- Named to the 2007 Playboy All-American Team.
- Named to the 2006 and 2007 AFCA All-America Team
- Named to the 2007 Scout.com All-America Third Team
- Earned All-WAC first-team Honors in 2007
- Became the first player in San Jose State University history to be named an All-American in back-to-back years.
- Named to 83rd East-West Shrine All-Star Game in 2008
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||201 lb||4.54 s||1.53 s||2.60 s||4.38 s||7.31 s||33.5 in||9 ft 8 in||16 reps|
New York Jets
Impressed with Lowery's versatility and ball skills, the New York Jets would draft him in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft as a cornerback/safety. An injury to cornerback Justin Miller would see Lowery debut in his first NFL game against the Miami Dolphins; Lowery performed modestly with four tackles and three passes defensed. Lowery was named to the NFL's mid-season all-rookie team for his efforts on defense however in November, Lowery was benched in favor of veteran Ty Law. In spite of the benching, Lowery continued to improve and contribute as a backup cornerback earning the praise of his head coach Eric Mangini and his teammates.
In 2009, Lowery continued to contribute as a backup and would finish the season with 24 tackles, 9 passes defensed and 3 interceptions.
Lowery was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars for an undisclosed draft pick on September 3, 2011. In his first game with Jacksonville, Lowery intercepted a Matt Hasselbeck pass to seal a Jaguar victory.
On March 13, 2012, Lowery agreed to a four-year extension with the Jaguars. He was placed on season-ending injured reserve on December 22, 2012.
Lowery's 2013 season ended when he was placed on injured reserve on October 8. He was released from injured reserve on November 4.
Lowery signed with the Atlanta Falcons on April 8, 2014. Lowery helped contribute to a struggling Atlanta Falcons defense in 2014. Lowery replaced old Atlanta Falcons Free Safety Thomas Decoud and did an outstanding job.
San Diego Chargers
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- Daily News (New York) http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-04-27/sports/17895604_1_san-jose-state-dwight-lowery-pick. Missing or empty
- "2008 CB Draft Prospects", CBS Sports (CBS), 2008, archived from the original on November 6, 2010, retrieved November 6, 2010
- Bishop, Greg (April 28, 2008), "Note Spells Out Dream for a Jets Draft Choice", The New York Times (New York Times Company), archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Allen, Eric (May 3, 2008), "Dwight Lowery Has First-Round Instincts", New York Jets, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Lange, Randy (April 27, 2008), "Clinkscales Weighs In on First Three Picks", New York Jets, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Allen, Eric (September 7, 2008), "Favre Era Lifts Off: Jets Down 'Fins, 20-14", New York Jets, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Seimas, Jim (December 8, 2008), "Jim Seimas: New York Jets cornerback Dwight Lowery has chance to make NFL's All-Rookie team", Santa Cruz Sentinel, archived from the original on October 9, 2010, retrieved October 9, 2010
- Carlson, Tim (December 26, 2008), "Lowery: Rookie Who's Found Second Wind", New York Jets, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Associated Press (October 12, 2010), "Soquel grad Lowery lifts Jets with interception, touchdown", Santa Cruz Sentinel, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- Cimini, Rich (October 12, 2010), "Jets expected a gift from Brett Favre", ESPN, archived from the original on October 13, 2010, retrieved October 13, 2010
- http://nesn.com/2012/09/jaguars-player-forced-to-tackle-fan-on-field-during-game-because-security-guards-are-too-lazy/ T
- FALCONS ADD S LOWERY, CB WILSON
- Wilkening, Mike. "Colts reach deal with S Dwight Lowery". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Dragon, Tyler. "Lowery signs for the Colts.". nfl.com. NFL.com. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- Zimmerman, Lisa (December 21, 2010), "Dwight Lowery: Introspective and Aware", TheJetsBlog (SNY), archived from the original on December 26, 2010, retrieved December 26, 2010