Powell with Stanford in 2014
|No. 7 – Dallas Mavericks|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
July 20, 1991 |
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school||IMG Academy
|NBA draft||2014 / Round: 2 / Pick: 45th overall|
|Selected by the Charlotte Hornets|
|2014||→Maine Red Claws|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Dwight Harlan Powell (born July 20, 1991) is a Canadian professional basketball player for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for Stanford University and is a member of the Canadian national team.
High school career
As a sophomore in 2011–12, the Cardinal won the NIT championship, and Powell earned Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention selection. In 35 games (11 starts), he averaged 5.8 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.
As a junior in 2012–13, Powell earned second-team NABC All-District, first-team All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 All-Academic second team honors. He was also named the Pac-12 Most Improved Player of the Year. In 34 games (all starts), he averaged 14.9 points to go with 8.4 rebounds per game.
As a senior in 2013–14, Powell earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors for the second straight year, and was named to the NCAA All-South Regional Team. He was also named the Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year and a Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention selection. In 36 games (all starts), he averaged 14.0 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.
Boston Celtics (2014)
On June 26, 2014, Powell was selected with the 45th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft by the Charlotte Hornets. On July 12, Powell's rights were traded, along with Brendan Haywood, to the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for Scotty Hopson and cash considerations. He then joined the Cavaliers for the NBA Summer League and signed with them on August 23. On September 25, he was traded, along with John Lucas III, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas and the Cavaliers' 2016 and 2017 second-round picks, to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Keith Bogans and two future second-round picks. During his time with the Celtics, he was assigned multiple times to the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Development League.
Dallas Mavericks (2014–present)
On December 18, 2014, Powell was traded, along with Rajon Rondo, to the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, Brandan Wright, a 2015 first-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick. On January 14, 2015, he scored a season-high 11 points on 5-for-7 shooting in a loss to the Denver Nuggets. He was assigned multiple times to the Texas Legends during his rookie season.
In July 2015, Powell joined the Mavericks for the 2015 NBA Summer League. On November 3, 2015, he recorded his first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds in a loss to the Toronto Raptors. Four days later, he recorded a then career-high 15 points and 7 rebounds in a 107–98 win over the New Orleans Pelicans. He tied his career high of 15 points on January 17, 2016 in a loss to the San Antonio Spurs. On March 28, 2016, Powell made his first NBA start and scored a career-high 16 points in a 97–88 win over the Denver Nuggets.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "#33 Dwight Powell". GoStanford.com. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Dwight Powell". Rivals.com. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Steinberg, Russell (June 26, 2014). "2014 NBA Draft Results: Charlotte Hornets select Dwight Powell with 45th pick". SBNation.com. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Hopson Acquired from Cavs". NBA.com. July 12, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Cavs Sign Dwight Powell". NBA.com. August 23, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Boston Celtics Announce Roster Moves". NBA.com. September 25, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "All-Time NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Mavs acquire four-time All-Star Rajon Rondo". Mavs.com. December 18, 2014. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- "Lawson, Faried lead Nuggets past Mavericks, 114-107". NBA.com. January 14, 2015. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Lowry, Raptors start 4-0 for 1st time, beating Mavs 102-91". NBA.com. November 3, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Mavericks keep Pelicans winless with 107-98 win". NBA.com. November 7, 2015. Retrieved November 7, 2015.
- "Game 42: Mavs at Spurs". Mavs.com. January 17, 2016. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Karalla, Bobby (March 28, 2016). "The Fast Break: Mavs at Nuggets". Mavs.com. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- "Mavericks sign forward-center Dwight Powell". Mavs.com. July 8, 2016. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Barnes, Matthews power Mavericks past Bulls 107-82". ESPN.com. December 3, 2016. Retrieved December 4, 2016.