Dyesebel (2008 TV series)
- This article is about the 2008 version on GMA-7. For the 2014 version, see Dyesebel (2014 TV series).
|Genre||Drama, Fantasy, Romance, Telefantasya|
|Created by||Mars Ravelo|
|Based on||Mars Ravelo's Dyesebel|
|Developed by||Dode Cruz|
|Directed by||Joyce E. Bernal
Don Michael Perez
|Narrated by||Jean Garcia|
|Opening theme||Ang Aking Mundo
by Julie Anne San Jose
|Ending theme||Siya na Nga Kaya?
by Julie Anne San Jose
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||125 episodes + 1 special|
|Executive producer(s)||Wilma Galvante|
|Running time||30–45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original release||April 28– October 17, 2008|
|Related shows||Dyesebel (ABS-CBN)|
The series is top billed by Marian Rivera and Dingdong Dantes in the lead roles, and directed by Joyce E. Bernal  and Don Michael Perez. It premiered on April 28, 2008  and ended on October 17, 2008. It was expected to air for 25 weeks or 125 episodes. It was aired internationally on GMA Pinoy TV, which became a huge success to viewers abroad.
Edna Luna, Vilma Santos, Alma Moreno, Alice Dixson, and Charlene Gonzales had all played the lead role in the big screen, and all of them reached greater heights after playing the role. Ara Mina played a cameo role in this character in the television series Darna (2005 TV series).
The story of Dyesebel begins when the human Lucia (Jean Garcia) delivers a beautiful baby girl. Unlike other normal babies, Lucia's child is half-human, half-fish. She is named Dyesebel. Although surprised by the unusual fish tail of their daughter, Lucia and husband Tonio (Wendell Ramos) love Dyesebel.
But in no time, their neighbors discover the couple's secret. When the community is hit by a series of catastrophes, Dyesebel's neighbors believe the young mermaid is nothing but a curse that brings them tremendous misfortune. The people's antagonism drives Lucia to offer Dyesebel to the sea, where she actually thrives. Unknown to them, it is at the bottom of the sea where Dyesebel's good adventures and misfortunes will happen.
Beneath the ocean, Dyesebel will meet Banak (Lotlot d Leon), who will be her surrogate mother; Erebus (Alfred Vargas), a young merman with royal blood descent who will be secretly in love with her; and Bukanding (Paolo Ballesteros), Dyesebel's merman friend whom she will treat as her brother. There are also lovely sea creatures like Jelay (Charlotte Hermoso) and Butete (Filiberto Nepomuceno) who will be her sidekicks.
Dyesebel (Marian Rivera) grows up to be a stunningly beautiful mermaid who is adored by almost all of the merman in the underwater kingdom. She is childlike, playful and carefree. Most of the time she gets into trouble for violating important rules in her kingdom, which include sanctions against going up to the surface, mingling with and falling in love with humans.
Unknown to many, the real reason behind her boldness is a fervent hope and wish to see once more the man she loves—Fredo (Dingdong Dantes). As a young boy, Fredo helped Dyesebel escape when she was caught in a fishing net, although he was unaware then that he had saved a mermaid. Fredo becomes the object of Dyesebel's dreams and she always swims to the sea surface to catch a glimpse of Fredo.
For years, love has kept Dyesebel patiently waiting for Fredo but she remains unsuccessful until one fateful day when the handsome youth meets an accident while out in the sea. Dyesebel saves Fredo and finally gets a chance to meet the man she loves. Unlike Dyesebel, Fredo doesn't know the meaning of love. But, by chance, when he glimpses her beauty, he falls hopelessly in love with her. He patiently waits for his rescuer, but will he get a chance to see her again?
With the power of love binding them, will Dyesebel find ways to be with the man she loves? Will she violate the kingdom's secret rule—that is, never to fall in love with humans? What will Dyesebel give up to live like a human? How will Muruka (Rufa Mae Quinto), a mystical sea creature, be able to help Dyesebel? And what kind of life awaits her in Fredo's world where people like Betty (Bianca King) will do anything to get Fredo? Will Fredo continue to love her even if he finds out that Dyesebel is a mermaid?
Dyesebel will also meet humans like Don Juan (Ricky Davao), Fredo's father; Paolo (Aljur Abrenica), a fisherman who will fall in love with Sheila Mae (Kris Bernal), the spoiled sister of Fredo; and Mark (Hero Angeles), Paolo's brother.
- Marian Rivera as Dyesebel / Isabel Montemayor
- Dingdong Dantes as Fredo Legaspi
- Jean Garcia as Reyna Lucia Montemayor / Doña Ava Legaspi
- Rufa Mae Quinto as Amafura
- Ricky Davao as Don Juan Legaspi
- Alfred Vargas as Erebus
- Mylene Dizon as Reyna Dyangga
- Bianca King as Betty Salcedo
- Michelle Madrigal as Prinsesa Berbola
- Lotlot de Leon as Banak
- Luis Alandy as Gildo Villarama
- Marco Alcaraz as Usaro
- Teri Onor as Akirang
- Paolo Ballesteros as Bukanding
- Aljur Abrenica as Paolo Legaspi
- Kris Bernal as Shiela Mae Legaspi / Shiela Mae Montemayor
- Hero Angeles as Mark
- Nanette Inventor as Doña Guada
- Robert Villar as Buboy
- Chanda Romero as Doña Felicia Montemayor
Extended and guest cast
- Wendell Ramos as Florentino Montemayor
- Vaness del Moral as Sosira
- Filiberto Nepomuceno as Butete
- Charlotte Hermoso as Jelay
- Ryan Yllana as Leo
- Philip Lazaro as Charity
- Mariz Ricketts as Melba
- Jackie Rice as Arana
- Fayatollah as Lady Dee
- KC Hollmann as Gildo's secretary
- Mang Enriquez as Mang Mike
- Chinggoy Alonzo as Don Ernesto Montemayor
- Andrea del Rosario as Vivian Montemayor
- Kevin Santos as Fonsy
- Angel Estrada as Vicky
- Matt Ranillo III as Enrico Salcedo
- Jen Rosendahl as Vivian's Friend
- Elizabeth Ramsey as Mother of Pearls
- Joseph Marco as Joseph
The TV series had its own billboard at the BART station in Daly City, California. The billboard's main purpose was to promote GMA Pinoy TV and the Dyesebel series to the residents of Daly City (a majority of the population were Filipinos). The billboard showed Marian Rivera as Dyesebel. It was posted on the station until its series finale last October 2008.
Dyesebel was remade in Indonesia under the title Putri Duyung.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2014)|
|2009||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Most Popular Television Program||Dyesebel||Won|
|Most Popular TV Director||Bb. Joyce Bernal||Won|
- List of shows previously aired by GMA Network
- Dyesebel - the original graphic novel
- Carlo J. Caparas
- Marian Rivera refuses to talk about her rumored lovelife pep.ph
- Marian, perfect sa ‘Dyesebel’ – Direk Joyce journal.com.ph
- ‘Babangon...’ set, nilait ni Dina! journal.com.ph
- Movie press pinaligaya ni Angel Locsin journal.com.ph
- Mars Ravelo Tripod marsravelodarna.tripod.com
- Jackie Rice gets another chance; joins the cast of "Dyesebel" pep.ph
- "40th Box Office Entertainment Awards given out". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-21.