Dyesebel (2008 TV series)
|Based on||Mars Ravelo's Dyesebel|
|Developed by||Dode Cruz|
|Narrated by||Jean Garcia|
|Opening theme||"Ang Aking Mundo" by Julie Anne San Jose|
|Ending theme||"Siya na Nga Kaya?" by Julie Anne San Jose|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||125 + 1 special|
|Executive producer(s)||Wilma Galvante|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||April 28– October 17, 2008|
Dyesebel is a 2008 Philippine television drama romance fantasy series broadcast by GMA Network. The series is an adaptation of a graphic novel of the same title created by Mars Ravelo. Directed by Joyce E. Bernal and Don Michael Perez, it stars Marian Rivera in the title role and Dingdong Dantes. It premiered on April 28, 2008 on the network's Telebabad line up replacing Kamandag and worldwide on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on October 17, 2008 with a total of 125 episodes. It was replaced by Gagambino in its timeslot.
When Florentino "Tino" Montemayor crosses the sea riding a boat and he spots a beautiful maiden with long flowing hair smiling at her, Later one stormy night he will find a girl in sea, he will care for her and eventually fall in love. They fall and love and Lucia delivers a beautiful baby girl. Unlike other normal babies, Lucia's child is half-human, half-fish. She is named Dyesebel. Although surprised by the unusual fish tail of their daughter, Lucia and husband Tonio love Dyesebel.
But in no time, their neighbors discover the couple's secret. When the community is hit by a series of catastrophes, Dyesebel's neighbors believe the young mermaid is nothing but a curse that brings them tremendous misfortune. The people's antagonism drives Lucia to offer Dyesebel to the sea, where she actually thrives. Unknown to them, it is at the bottom of the sea where Dyesebel's good adventures and misfortunes will happen.
Beneath the ocean, Dyesebel will meet Banak, who will be her surrogate mother; Erebus, a young merman with royal blood descent who will be secretly in love with her; and Bukanding, Dyesebel's merman friend whom she will treat as her brother. There are also lovely sea creatures like Jelay and Butete who will be her sidekicks.
Dyesebel grows up to be a beautiful mermaid who is adored by almost all of the merman in the underwater kingdom. She is childlike, playful and carefree. Most of the time she gets into trouble for violating important rules in her kingdom, which include sanctions against going up to the surface, mingling with and falling in love with humans.
Unknown to many, the real reason behind her boldness is a fervent hope and wish to see once more the man she loves—Fredo (Dingdong Dantes). As a young boy, Fredo helped Dyesebel escape when she was caught in a fishing net, although he was unaware then that he had saved a mermaid. Fredo becomes the object of Dyesebel's dreams and she always swims to the sea surface to catch a glimpse of Fredo.
For years, love has kept Dyesebel patiently waiting for Fredo but she remains unsuccessful until one fateful day when the handsome youth meets an accident while out in the sea. Dyesebel saves Fredo and finally gets a chance to meet the man she loves. Unlike Dyesebel, Fredo doesn't know the meaning of love. But, by chance, when he glimpses her beauty, he falls hopelessly in love with her. He patiently waits for his rescuer, but will he get a chance to see her again?
With the power of love binding them, will Dyesebel find ways to be with the man she loves? Will she violate the kingdom's secret rule—that is, never to fall in love with humans? What will Dyesebel give up to live like a human? How will Muruka (Rufa Mae Quinto), a mystical sea creature, be able to help Dyesebel? And what kind of life awaits her in Fredo's world where people like Betty (Bianca King) will do anything to get Fredo? Will Fredo continue to love her even if he finds out that Dyesebel is a mermaid?
Dyesebel will also meet humans like Don Juan (Ricky Davao), Fredo's father; Paolo (Aljur Abrenica), a fisherman who will fall in love with Sheila Mae (Kris Bernal), the spoiled sister of Fredo; and Mark (Hero Angeles), Paolo's brother.
Cast and characters
- Lead cast
- Supporting cast
- Michelle Madrigal as Berbola
- Alfred Vargas as Erebus
- Rufa Mae Quinto as Amafura
- Jean Garcia as Lucia Montemayor / Ava Legaspi
- Mylene Dizon as Dyangga
- Ricky Davao as Juan Legaspi
- Bianca King as Betty Salcedo
- Lotlot de Leon as Banak
- Luis Alandy as Gildo Villarama
- Marco Alcaraz as Usaro
- Teri Onor as Akirang
- Paolo Ballesteros as Bukanding
- Aljur Abrenica as Paolo Legaspi
- Kris Bernal as Shiela Mae Legaspi / Shiela Mae Montemayor
- Hero Angeles as Mark
- Nanette Inventor as Guada
- Robert Villar as Buboy
- Chanda Romero as Felicia Montemayor
- Guest cast
- Wendell Ramos as Florentino "Tino" Montemayor
- Vaness del Moral as Sosira
- Filiberto Nepomuceno as Butete
- Charlotte Hermoso as Jelay
- Ryan Yllana as Leo
- Philip Lazaro as Charity
- Mariz Ricketts as Melba
- Jackie Rice as Arana
- Fayatollah as Lady Dee
- KC Hollmann as Gildo's secretary
- Mang Enriquez as Mang Mike
- Chinggoy Alonzo as Don Ernesto Montemayor
- Andrea del Rosario as Vivian Montemayor
- Kevin Santos as Fonsy
- Angel Estrada as Vicky
- Matt Ranillo III as Enrico Salcedo
- Jen Rosendahl as Vivian's friend
- Elizabeth Ramsey as mother of Pearls
- Joseph Marco as Joseph
|2009||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Most Popular Television Program||Dyesebel||Won|
|Most Popular TV Director||Bb. Joyce Bernal||Won|
|Malaysia||Astro Prima||Dyesebel||November 9, 2009|
|Vietnam||TodayTV VTC7||Chuyện tình nàng tiên cá||October 12, 2013|
- Marian Rivera refuses to talk about her rumored lovelife pep.ph
- Marian, perfect sa ‘Dyesebel’ – Direk Joyce journal.com.ph
- ‘Babangon...’ set, nilait ni Dina! journal.com.ph
- Movie press pinaligaya ni Angel Locsin journal.com.ph
- Jackie Rice gets another chance; joins the cast of "Dyesebel" pep.ph
- Santiago, Erwin (April 29, 2008). "TV Ratings (April 25-28): "Dyesebel" pilot episode swims its way to the top". Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Santiago, Erwin (October 21, 2008). "TV Ratings (Oct. 17-20): "Gagambino" continues winning tradition of "Dyesebel"". Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "40th Box Office Entertainment Awards given out". Pep.ph. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- "Dyesebel will be aired in Singaporean TV channel by 1Q 2010". PeP. November 15, 2009. Retrieved January 27, 2017.