Dylan Hicks, 2007
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, novelist, DJ|
Hicks' first three albums were released on the No Alternative label. He released a demo album entitled "Poughkeepsie" in 1998, which was described by Kristy Martin as "a sparkling demo of smart wordplay and pop sensibility." He followed this up with the album "Alive With Pleasure" in 2001. As a companion to his novel Boarded Windows, Hicks released an album entitled Sings Bolling Greene, which originated when Hicks started writing songs by Bolling Greene, one of the characters in the book. In the book, Greene is a country musician. About half of the songs on Sings Bolling Greene are written from Greene's perspective, while the remaining ones are about Greene.
In 2012, Hicks' debut novel, Boarded Windows, was published by Coffee House Press. It is narrated by a nameless narrator, and is set in Minneapolis in the 1990s. He has also written for Citypages.
Courtney Algo and Lit Lyfe wrote in the Twin Cities Daily Planet that "fans of Hicks and rapier-sharp prose will find a great delight in Boarded Windows." A review in MinnPost described the book as "a vivid time capsule of those scruffier days of Twin Cities music fandom," referring to the 1990s.
- Gihring, Tim (May 2012). "Return of the Governor of Fun". Minnesota Monthly. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Riemenschneider, Chris (10 May 2012). "Stranger than fiction: The return of Dylan Hicks". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Martin, Kristy (December 2001). "Alive With Pleasure". CMJ New Music Report. 70 (744): 11.
- Goetzman, Amy (7 June 2012). "7 burning questions for musician/novelist Dylan Hicks". MinnPost. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Bahn, Christopher (21 May 2012). "Dylan Hicks". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Akins, Ellen (8 May 2012). "Review: Dylan Hicks' novel "Boarded Windows"". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Sigelman, Danny (25 January 2012). "Dylan Hicks unveils "West Texas Winds," talks upcoming novel". Citypages. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Algeo, Courtney (11 January 2012). "Dylan Hicks blends fact and fiction in impressive debut novel "Boarded Windows"". Twin Cities Daily Planet. Retrieved 19 December 2014.