Dylan Wiliam in 2006
|Born||Dylan Ap Rhys Wiliam|
Whitchurch Grammar School|
Altrincham Grammar School for Boys
|Known for||Assessment for learning|
University College London|
King's College London
|Thesis||Technical issues in the development and implementation of a system of criterion-referenced age-independent levels of attainment in the National Curriculum of England and Wales (1993)|
Wiliam was educated at Whitchurch Grammar School in Cardiff and at Altrincham Grammar School for Boys in Greater Manchester. He went on to study[clarification needed] at the University of Durham (Bachelor of Science, 1976), the Open University (Bachelor of Arts, 1983), the Polytechnic of the South Bank (Master of Science, 1985) and the University of London (PhD, 1993).
Research and career
His research focus is the professional development of teachers. His 1998 book, Inside the Black Box, which he wrote with Paul Black, was a successful polemic about formative assessment, selling over 100,000 copies. He demonstrated his ideas in a 2010 BBC documentary series, The Classroom Experiment, in which a class at Hertswood School was encouraged to participate more widely in activities such as answering questions.
- Dylan Wiliam publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Wiliam, Dylan (2017). "Dylan Wiliam Biography". dylanwiliam.org. Archived from the original on 2017-07-01.
- Wiliam, Dylan Ap Rhys (1993). Technical issues in the development and implementation of a system of criterion-referenced age-independent levels of attainment in the National Curriculum of England and Wales. london.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of London. OCLC 940340322.
- Emeritus Professor Dylan Wiliam, UCL Institute of Education, 2015, archived from the original on 4 March 2016
- Black, Paul; Wiliam, Dylan (2015). Inside the black box: raising standards through classroom assessment. ISBN 9781941112526.
- Wilby, Peter (18 January 2011). "Teaching guru is optimistic about education". theguardian.com. The Guardian.
- Gilbert, Gerard (23 September 2010), "The six secrets of a happy classroom", independent.co.uk, The Independent
- Dylan Wiliam publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Black, Paul; Wiliam, Dylan (2006). "Assessment and Classroom Learning". Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice. 5 (1): 7–74. doi:10.1080/0969595980050102. ISSN 0969-594X.
- Black, Paul; Wiliam, Dylan (2010). "Inside the Black Box: Raising Standards through Classroom Assessment". Phi Delta Kappan. 92 (1): 81–90. doi:10.1177/003172171009200119. ISSN 0031-7217.
- Black, Paul; Harrison, Christine; Lee, Clare; Marshall, Bethan; Wiliam, Dylan (2004). "Working inside the Black Box: Assessment for Learning in the Classroom". Phi Delta Kappan. 86 (1): 8–21. doi:10.1177/003172170408600105. ISSN 0031-7217.
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|