E. J. Lowe (philosopher)
Edward Jonathan Lowe (//; 24 March 1950 – 5 January 2014), usually cited as E. J. Lowe but known personally as Jonathan Lowe, was a British philosopher and academic. He was Professor of Philosophy at Durham University, England.
Lowe was born in Dover, England. His secondary education was at Bushey Grammar School, and he subsequently studied at the University of Cambridge, 1968-72 (BA in History, 1st Class), and the University of Oxford, 1972-75 (BPhil and DPhil in Philosophy).
Lowe was one of the leading philosophers of his generation. He mainly researched and published in metaphysics, philosophy of mind, philosophical logic, and the history of early modern philosophy. He supervised many PhD students, working on a wide variety of topics.
He is survived by his wife Susan, his daughter Rebecca, and his son Timothy.
- Kinds of Being: A Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms (Oxford: Blackwell, 1989)
- Locke on Human Understanding (London: Routledge, 1995)
- Subjects of Experience (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996)
- The Possibility of Metaphysics (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998)
- An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000)
- A Survey of Metaphysics (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002)
- Locke (London, New York: Routledge: 2005)
- The Four-Category Ontology: A Metaphysical Foundation for Natural Science (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006)
- Personal Agency (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007)
- More Kinds of Being: A Further Study of Individuation, Identity, and the Logic of Sortal Terms (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009)
- Forms of Thought: A Study in Philosophical Logic (Cambridge University Press, 2013)
- "Recent Advances in Metaphysics", Lowe's keynote address, about his four-category ontology, at the International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information systems October 17-19, 2001, Ogunquit, Maine
- "Metaphysical foundations for science," interviewed by Richard Marshall at 3:AM Magazine, March 18th, 2013
- EIDE: Foundations of Ontology (archive 12 Aug 2009, with profile of E.J. Lowe)
- The Information Philosopher Entry Summary of some of Lowe's work.