E331 series set AK1 in service on the Keiyo Line in May 2010
|In service||March 2007–2011|
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Tokyu Car Corporation|
|Number built||14 cars (1 set)|
|Number scrapped||14 vehicles|
|Formation||14 cars per trainset|
|Line(s) served||Keiyo Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||13,400 mm (44 ft 0 in) (cars 2-6, 9-13)
16,500 mm (54 ft 2 in) (cars 1, 7, 8, 14)
|Width||2,989 mm (9 ft 9.7 in)|
|Doors||3 pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||120 km/h (75 mph)|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC overhead catenary|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-P, ATS-SN|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The E331 series (E331系?) was an electric multiple unit (EMU) train introduced experimentally from 2007 on commuter services on the Keiyo Line in Japan operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). Only one trainset was built, and it differed significantly from other JR commuter EMUs in having articulated cars with shared bogies and using direct-drive motors.
|Numbering||KuHa E330-1||MoHa E331-6||SaHa E331-502||MoHa E331-5||SaHa E331-2||MoHa E331-4||SaHa E331-1001||SaHa E330-1||MoHa E331-3||SaHa E331-501||MoHa E331-2||SaHa E331-1||MoHa E331-1||KuHa E331-1|
- Cars 3 and 10 (SaHa E331-502 and SaHa E331-501) were each fitted with one PS37 single-arm pantograph.
- Cars 1 and 14 seated 36 when the seats are configured in transverse mode.
Cars 2 to 13 had longitudinal seating, while the end cars 1 and 14 had transverse seating bays which could be rotated and rearranged longitudinally against the train sides to provide increased standing space during peak hours.
Incorporating new technology tested on the earlier experimental E993 series "AC Train", the E331 series was delivered to JR East in March 2006. Cars 1 to 7 were built by Tokyu Car Corporation in Yokohama, and cars 8 to 14 were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Kobe.
Following extensive test running, the set entered revenue service on the Keiyo Line between Tokyo and Soga from the start of the revised timetable on 18 March 2007, used only on weekend services. From April, the set was taken out of service, and in October 2007, the seven Kawasaki-built cars were returned to their manufacturer for modifications, and in March 2008, the seven Tokyu Car cars were also returned to Tokyu Car for modifications. The set was returned to service on 23 December 2008.
The set was removed from revenue service in May 2009, returning to service on 3 April 2010. It was subsequently removed from service again, and remained stored out of service at Shin-Narashino Depot from early 2011 before finally being hauled to Nagano Works in March 2014 for scrapping.
- JR電車編成表 '07冬号 [JR EMU Formations - Winter 2007]. Japan: JRR. December 2006. p. 54. ISBN 4-88283-046-9.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. pp. 389–390. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- "E331系一般形直流電車" [E331 series DC EMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 46 no. 542. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. June 2006. pp. 84–87.
- "JR東日本 E331系一般型直流電車（量産先行者/京葉線）" [JR East E331 series DC EMU (Keiyo Line/pre-production train)]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 35 no. 266. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. June 2006. pp. 74–75.
- 首都圏新系列車両PROFILE [Tokyo Area New-generation Rolling Stock Profile]. Japan: Ikaros Publishing. 15 April 2011. pp. 98–99. ISBN 978-4-86320-436-2.
- Ｅ３３１系の運転再開について [Return of E331 series to service] (pdf). News release (in Japanese). Chiba, Japan: East Japan Railway Company - Chiba Branch. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "E331系ケヨAK1編成が営業運転に" [E331 series set AK1 in revenue service]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 5 April 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "E331系AK1編成長野へ配給" [E331 series set AK1 moved to Nagano]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 27 March 2014. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- 首都圏新系列車両PROFILE [Tokyo Area New-generation Rolling Stock Profile] (in Japanese). Japan: Ikaros Publishing. 15 April 2011. ISBN 978-4-86320-436-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR East E331.|