ECW World Television Championship
|ECW World Television Championship|
The final ECW World Television Championship title belt design
|Promotion||Extreme Championship Wrestling|
|Date established||August 12, 1992|
|Date retired||April 11, 2001|
The ECW World Television Championship was a professional wrestling television championship in Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW). It was introduced in 1992 as part of National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) affiliate and ECW precursor, Eastern Championship Wrestling, but was established under ECW in 1994. It served as the second highest ranked title in the ECW.
The title was introduced on August 12, 1992 to Eastern Championship Wrestling, as the promotion was then known, as the Eastern Championship Wrestling Television Championship. ECW was a member of the NWA until seceding from that organization, in January 1993 and officially in September 1994 and becoming Extreme Championship Wrestling. The title then became known as the Extreme Championship Wrestling World Television Championship. The title's final defense took place on December 15, 2000, when the title belt was stolen out of the locker room and was retired on April 2001, when ECW closed down. ECW's assets were subsequently purchased by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). In 2006, WWE relaunched the ECW franchise as a WWE brand that remained active until 2010, but did not bring back the title, choosing only to revive the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.
- Loverro, Thorm (2006). The Rise and Fall of ECW. Paul Heyman, Tazz Dreamer, Tazz, Tommy Dreamer. Simon and Schuster. pp. 5–24. ISBN 1-4165-1058-3. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "United States Bankruptcy Court: Case No. 01-B-11982 (ASH)" (PDF). United States Bankruptcy Court. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 17, 2008. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "WWE Launches ECW As Third Brand". World Wrestling Entertainment Corporate. May 26, 2006. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- Hoffman, Brett. "An Extreme Debut". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "ECW TV Championship". WWE. Retrieved October 21, 2016.