Cover of EDN magazine
|Year founded||May 1956(as Electrical Design News)|
|Final issue||June 2013(print)|
|Based in||Garden City, New York|
EDN ( ISSN 0012-7515) is an electronics industry website and formerly a magazine owned by AspenCore Media an Arrow Electronics company. The current editor in chief is Michael Dunn with editorial offices in Long Island, NY. EDN magazine was published monthly, in April 2013 EDN announced that the print edition would cease publication after the June 2013 issue.
- The first issue of Electrical Design News — the original name — was published May 1956 by Rogers Corporation of Englewood, Colorado. In January 1961, Cahners Publishing Company, Inc., of Boston, acquired Rogers Publishing Company. In February 1966, Cahners sold 40% of its company to International Publishing Company in London In 1970, the Reed Group merged with International Publishing Corporation and changed its name to Reed International Limited.
Acquisition of EEE magazine
- Cahners Publishing Company acquired Electronic Equipment Engineering, a monthly magazine, in March 1971 and discontinued it. In doing so, Cahners folded EEE's best features into EDN,[not in citation given] and renamed the magazine EDN/EEE. At the time, George Harold Rostky (1926–2003) had been editor-in-chief of EEE. Rostky joined EDN and eventually became editor-in-chief before leaving to join Electronic Engineering Times as editor-in-chief.
Taking EDN Worldwide - Roy Forsberg later on became editor in chief of EDN magazine - Roy was later promoted to Publisher and Jon Titus PhD was named editor in chief - Roy and Jon established EDN Europe -EDN Asia and EDN China creating one of the largest global circulations for a design engineering magazine. EDN's 25th Anniversary Issue was a 425-page folio.
Reed Limited acquires remaining interest in Cahners
- In 1977, Reed acquired the remaining interest in Cahners, then known as Cahners Publications. In 1982, Reed International Limited changed its name to Reed International PLC. In 1992, Reed International merged with Elsevier NV, becoming Reed Elsevier PLC as of January 1, 1993. Reed Business Media then removed the Cahners Business Publishing name to rebrand itself as Reed Business Information.
Reed sells EDN to Canon Communications LLC
- Reed Business Information, part of Reed Elsevier, sold the magazine to Canon Communications LLC February 2010. United Business Media, now UBM LLC, acquired Canon Communications LLC in October 2010. On June 3, 2016, UBM announced that EE Times, along with the rest of the electronics media portfolio (EE Times, EDN, Embedded.com, TechOnline and Datasheets.com) was being sold to AspenCore Media, a company owned by Arrow Electronics for $23.5 million. The acquisition was completed on August 1, 2016.
On 9 April 2013 UBM announced that EDN's print edition would cease publication after the June 2013 issue and that the online EDN.com community would continue.
EDN is also published in China and Taiwan and in Japan by ITmedia, Inc. who licenses content from AspenCore Media.
The website - EDN Network - caters to the needs of the working electrical engineer and cover new technologies and electronic component products at an engineering level. Columns discuss everything from managing engineers and engineering projects to technical issues faced in the design of electronic components, systems, and developing technologies.
The Design Ideas section features several user-submitted designs that are innovative or novel solutions to constrained design problems. Every issue features a column called "Prying Eyes" which disassembles a popular or intriguing consumer product and investigates the technologies that enable it.
Executives & journalists
- William M. Platt, appointed publisher of EDN in December 1967 by Cahners Publishing
- Robert H. Cushman (1924–1996) — editor for EDN from 1962 to the late-1980s covering, among other things, the early development of microprocessing
- "What does EDN Stand For?". Archived from the original on 2006-10-15.
- Robert Alden, Addenda, New York Times, January 26, 1961
- Brendan Jones, Britons Mapping Publishing Deal, February 17, 1966
- Reed Elsevier: History
- Philip H. Dougherty, Making 27 and 2 Equal 28, New York Times, March 30, 1971
- Oral history: Interview with George Rostky July 20, 1995, Silicon Genesis, Stanford University, The Stanford and the Silicon Valley Project, July 20, 1995 — transcript — video
- Press Release: Canon Communications to Expand Global B-to-B Media Presence in Advanced Manufacturing Segment, February 16, 2010
- Novinson, Michael (June 3, 2016). "Arrow To Buy UBM's Technical, Electronics Media Portfolio For $23.5M". CRN. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "UBM Tech Announces Strategic Shift Toward Community-Focused Media and Events". UBM. April 9, 2013. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Business Publication Circulation Statement for the 6 Month Period Ended December 2011, Shelton, CT: BPA Worldwide, 2012
- EDN Honored with Three National Awards from the ASBPE, EDN Press Release, May 22, 2006[permanent dead link]
- Philip H. Dougherty, Advertising: People, New York Times, December 29, 1967