This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Open Source Project|
17.1.20190808 / August 8, 2019
|License||GNU General Public License version 2|
EGroupware is free open-source groupware software intended for businesses from small to enterprises. Its primary functions allow users to manage contacts, appointments, projects and to-do lists. EGroupware is based on PHP. The projects spreads its software under the terms of GNU General Public License (GPL).
It is used either via its native web-interface, making access platform-independent, or by using different supported groupware clients, such as Kontact, Novell Evolution, or Microsoft Outlook. It can also be used by mobile phone or PDA via SyncML.
It currently has translations for more than 25 languages, including right-to-left language support. It depends on a standard X-AMP System and as such requires no specific operating system. Most popular internet browsers are supported for use as web based clients.
EGroupware is the most current manifestation of a chain of projects. The original project was called webdistro. In 2000 development on the project phpgroupware began, which was based on webdistro; and in 2003 the EGroupware fork was born. EGroupware has a very pronounced community character compared with its predecessors.
There is an EGroupware constitution, adopted in 2005, which guarantees freedom and security to the community and establishes admin elections.
For a short time Tine 2.0 was an official subproject of EGroupware. The goal of the subproject was the development of future technologies for the EGroupware project. Due to internal disagreements, the projects EGroupware and Tine 2.0 had separated from each other in February 2008.
Since July 2009 the first professional Version of EGroupware is available. It is being sold as a software subscription. This product line, called „EGroupware Premium Line“ (EPL) includes a maintenance agreement for the source code and corresponding RPMs, that enables automatic updates.
Version 14.2 ist is available since December 2014. E-Share-Option: Since version 14.2 EGroupware Filemanager offers a filesharing option for an easy data exchange. It includes, for example, the option to send links to read or edit files to persons that do not use EGroupware. Beside that, files can be moved via drag and drop. Filemanager is used as an alternative to the filehosting service Dropbox. Home Screen: The Home Screen is a virtual pinboard, that makes important contacts, projects or tasks always available for the user. Mobile Template: The third update in 14.2 is the mobile template, that has been optimized for small screens and touch handling. It enables the usage of EGroupware on tablets and supports swipe gestures and an adaptation of the format while turning the device.
For 2016 the Release of version 16.1 is scheduled. It will for example include a new calendar and further improvements of the mobile template.
- Calendar (including support for scheduling of groups, resources and contacts)
- Contact-manager using an SQL database or LDAP
- Integrated IMAP webmail client (FelaMiMail)
- Infolog, an application for tasks and notes
- Element based project manager highly integrated with all other apps
- Resources management (inventory) and booking tool integrated into EGroupware calendar
- File manager
- SiteMgr: web based authoring system with fine granulated access control lists
- Time-tracker application integrated with project manager
- Tracking of bugs or other, integrated with project manager
- Knowledge base
- CalDAV and CardDAV server
EGroupware is being developed in PHP and therefore platform independent (Linux, Windows, BSD Server). Several open source databases (as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MaxDB) or Microsoft SQL Server are usable. Authentication can occur via private user accounts in SQL or LDAP, or an external system, for example Mailserver or Active Directory Server (ADS).
List of mail servers:
- LDAP - dbmail
- LDAP - inetOrg
- LDAP – qmail
- LDAP – univentionMail
- LDAP – suseMail
- LDAP – Mandriva Linux
- LDAP – new qmail
- Active Directory
EGroupware can be synchronised with Apple- and Android devices. Appointments, addressbook entries and tasks from Infolog application can be synchronised. ESync and CalDAV are thereby used as protocols.
- List of collaborative software#Open source software compares its features with others
- List of project management software
- Ralf Becker, Birgit Becker, Michaela Knotte, Ingo Kreißelmeyer: Manual EGroupware 1.4, English, Outdoor Unlimited Training GmbH, 1.Edition, January 2008, ISBN 978-3-9811968-1-8
- Ralf Becker, Birgit Becker, M. Knotte, I. Kreißelmeyer: Benutzerhandbuch EGroupware 1.4, German, Outdoor Unlimited Training GmbH, 1. Edition, August 2007, ISBN 978-3-9811968-0-1