The radar is capable of detecting and tracking both aircraft and ballistic targets and providing fire control guidance for missile interception or artillery air defense.
Several versions of the radar were purchased and are operated by a number of armies, including the Israeli Defense Forces, Canadian Army, Republic of Singapore Air Force, and the Army of the Czech Republic.
The MMR's development was launched by Elta and The Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technology (Hebrew abbreviated Maf'at) in 2002 as a response to the growing ballistic threat to Israel.
A prototype of the system was used during IDF operation "Cast Lead" in 2008 as an early warning radar, detecting HAMAS artillery fire and providing accurate alert for the Israeli home front.
The first successful interception using the MMR as a firing control unit took place on April 7, 2011, with the Iron Dome intercepting a rocket fired from the Gaza strip towards Ashkelon, a city in southern Israel.
As a tactical radar, the ELM 2084 is a mobile system consisted of the radar unit, a control module, a cooling unit and a power generator. It can be mounted on a variety of transport platforms.
The radar was designed to accommodate medium range operational needs in the battlefield: detection, classification and tracking of targets.
The Radar's main missions are:
- Hostile weapon location – detection and tracking of hostile ballistic projectiles, calculating enemy launchers or artillery position.
- Early warning – impact point calculation for warning of civil population and military rear units.
- Friendly fire ranging – tracking of friendly artillery and providing corrections to the firing unit.
- Aerial surveillance – detecting and tracking aircraft, maintaining continuous aerial picture.
- Firing control radar – for various air defense systems, including Iron Dome, David's Sling, Skyhunter, and SPYDER-MR (Medium Range).
Notable features of the radar:
- Advance technology AESA radar
- Extensive operational experience, due to participation in large number of interceptions
- Interoperability with modern battle management systems and several different interceptor missiles.
- The radar is advertised as capable of processing all types of threats – aerial and ballistic including low radar cross-section (RCS) targets.
This variant is the most prominent member of the family, with two sub variants, distinguished by antenna size and range capabilities: The MMR is capable of air surveillance, hostile weapon locating and fire guidance for the medium range.
ELM-2084 Mini MMR
The mini MMR (mMMR) is a scaled down MMR variant for shorter range threats.
The ELM-2311 is a C-band tactical C-RAM radar built for the battalion level. It is designed for a single vehicle platform, with a small operational crew.
The Radar is designed to operate in Artillery fire ranging and hostile weapons locating roles.
The MF-STAR Radar is a naval implementation of The MMR, made up of four MMR modules mounted around a pyramid shaped mast. The radar provides full 360º coverage for air surveillance, hostile weapons locating and fire guidance capabilities naval platforms. The ELM-2248 is in service in the Israeli and Indian navies.The ELM-2248 is the fire control radar for the Barak 8 system.
The MF-STAR LB is a land based variant, consisted of a single rotating module. It is believed to work with a ground version of the Barak-8 Surface to Air missile system
The IDF employs several variants of the MMR as an air defense and artillery detection radar, and Fire Control Radar for its air defense systems. Quantity unknown.
The Radar was declared operational in 2010 and is operated as the main Fire ranging component of the Israeli Artillery Corps' spotting battalion.
The ELM 2084 is an essential component in the Israeli Hostile Weapon Locating, Aerial Surveillance and Early Warning architecture – providing a constant coverage of the Israeli borders both In peacetime and in Israel's recent conflicts.
ELM 2084 Radars are used on the IDF's Iron Dome and David's Sling air defense systems as Fire Control Radars, with an advertised capability to process dozens of threats simultaneously. A notable success rate of 90 percent of over 1000 interceptions is reported for the Iron Dome system.
Canada has purchased 10 MMR Radars. They are expected to enter operational service late 2017.
The Czech Ministry of Defense is reported to have purchased 8 ELM 2084 Radars scheduled to be delivered by 2021.
Finland has purchased a "significant" number of ELM-2311 radars for mainly counter-battery use in 2019, with deliveries scheduled for 2021. They are to be used also for secondary air surveillance purposes. The radar system was tested in summer 2018, and was deemed the best of the systems which FDF had selected for the competition.
India operates the MF-STAR naval radar, quantity unknown.
ELM 2084 are used by the Singapore Armed Forces for air surveillance and air defense roles. Quantity unknown.
ELM 2311 are mounted on Bronco ATTC as the 'SAFARI' radar.
- ""Deliver Precision Fire in Real-Time at an Invisible Enemy"". Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Rheinmetall Defence, IAI Elta to Supply 10 Multi-Mission Radars to Canada | Defense Update:". defense-update.com. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Administrator. "SAFARI Weapon Locating Radar enters in service with the Singapore Armed Forces 13009163 | September 2016 Global Defense Security news industry | Defense Security global news industry army 2016 | Archive News year". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Czech Republic to buy Eight IAI/ELTA Radars". Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Pfeffer, Anshel; Yagna, Yanir (2011-04-07). "Iron Dome Successfully Intercepts Gaza Rocket for First Time". Haaretz. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Israel scrambles the 8th Iron Dome unit with David's Sling elements - Missile ThreatMissile Threat". 2015-04-09. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Watch: David's Sling shoots down mock missile in successful trial". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Shephard Media (2017-10-12), Skyhunter Ready For US Army, retrieved 2017-12-18
- "Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. - Home page : Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd (IAI) Media Room". www.iai.co.il. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "IAI en route to extended range Barak-8ER". Pakistan Defence. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "IAI/ELTA to Supply Compact Multi-Mission Radars to Finland". israeldefence.co.il. 21 January 2019. Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 2019-07-12. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Finland orders ELM-2311 C-MMR radars from IAI Elta Systems". janes.com. 21 January 2019. Archived from the original on 12 July 2019. Retrieved 2019-07-12. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Suomi ostaa vastatykistötutkia Israelista – Ukrainan sota on osoittanut, kuinka tärkeä tykistö edelleen on". hs.fi (in Finnish). 11 January 2019. Archived from the original on 3 February 2019. Retrieved 2019-07-12. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Country's most potent indigenous warship joins service this month". spsnavalforces.com. Retrieved 2018-01-06.