EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset
EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset (also EPSG registry) is a public registry of geodetic datums, spatial reference systems, Earth ellipsoids, coordinate transformations and related units of measurement, originated by a member of the European Petroleum Survey Group (EPSG) in 1985. Each entity is assigned an EPSG code between 1024 and 32767, along with a standard machine-readable well-known text (WKT) representation. The dataset is maintained by the IOGP Geomatics Committee.
Most geographic information systems (GIS) and GIS libraries use EPSG codes as Spatial Reference System Identifiers (SRIDs) and EPSG definition data for identifying coordinate reference systems, projections, and performing transformations between these systems, while some also support SRIDs issued by other organizations (such as Esri).
Common EPSG codes
- EPSG:4326 - WGS 84, latitude/longitude coordinate system based on the Earth's center of mass, used by the Global Positioning System among others.
- EPSG:3857 - Web Mercator projection used for display by many web-based mapping tools, including Google Maps and OpenStreetMap.
- EPSG:7789 - International Terrestrial Reference Frame 2014 (ITRF2014), an Earth-fixed system that is independent of continental drift.
The dataset was created in 1985 by Jean-Patrick Girbig of Elf, to "standardize, improve and share spatial data between members of the European Petroleum Survey Group". It was made public in 1993.
In 2005, the EPSG organisation was merged into International Association of Oil & Gas Producers (IOGP), and became the Geomatics Committee. However, the name of the EPSG registry was kept to avoid confusion. Since then, the acronym "EPSG" became increasingly synonymous with the dataset or registry itself.
- ^ Cain, Jim (9 May 2013). "Coordinate Reference Systems (Best Practices for Assignment, Manipulation and Conversion in GIS Systems)" (PDF). 2013 ESRI Petroleum GIS Conference: 39. Archived (PDF) from the original on 23 October 2021. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- ^ "Policies and procedures for EPSG Dataset data management". EPSG. IOGP. December 2022. p. 18. Retrieved 5 May 2023.
Codes for primary entity types are within the range 1024 to 32766 inclusive
- ^ a b "IOGP Geomatics Committee (poster)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-10-03. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- ^ "International Terrestrial Reference Frame 2014 (ITRF2014)". Quality Positioning Services B.V. Retrieved 3 October 2019.[permanent dead link]
- ^ de Marolles, Lodoïs (14 October 2022). "EPSG dataset presentation" (PDF). Institut Géographique National (France). Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 January 2023. Retrieved 11 January 2023.
- ^ a b "Using the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset" (PDF). IOGP Geomatics Committee. August 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-12-31.
- ^ Giudici, Michael (28 August 2019). "GDA2020 and overcoming the 'Web Mercator Dilemma'". Spatial Source. Archived from the original on 2019-10-10. Retrieved 2019-10-03.