|Original author(s)||calb, _Demo_, Galtor|
|Developer(s)||ePSXe Software S.L.|
|Initial release||October 14, 2000|
|Stable release||1.9.25 (PC) / 1.9.26 (Android) / January 27, 2015 / January 26, 2015 (Android)(PC)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Linux, Android|
|Type||Video game console emulator|
ePSXe (enhanced PSX emulator) is a PlayStation video game console emulator for x86-based PC hardware with Microsoft Windows or Linux, as well as devices running Android. It was written by three authors, using the aliases calb, _Demo_ and Galtor. ePSXe is closed source with the exception of the application programming interface (API) for its plug-ins.
|ePSXe releases for PC|
|1.0.0||First release||Oct 14, 2000|
|1.2.0||SaveState Support||Mar 9, 2001|
|1.4.0||Setup assistant||Jun 26, 2001|
|1.5.0||Native support for PPF patches||Jan 27, 2002|
|1.6.0||Improved CD ROM emulation||Aug 5, 2003|
|1.7.0||Rewritten MDEC decoder||May 24, 2008|
|1.8.0||Cheat codes support||Nov 9, 2012|
|1.9.0||Bug fixes||Aug 3, 2013|
|1.9.25||Added HLE BIOS support||Jan 27, 2015|
|ePSXe releases for Android|
|1.7.5||First Android version||Aug 30, 2012|
|1.7.10||New hardware renderer||Oct 3, 2012|
|1.7.11||Gameshark cheat codes||Oct 16, 2012|
|1.8.0||Peopsxgl OpenGL plugin support||Nov 9, 2012|
|1.8.1||Analog input on touchscreen||Dec 14, 2012|
|1.8.4||Support for Intel x86 devices||Jan 5, 2013|
|1.9.0||Support BluezIME gamepads||May 31, 2013|
|1.9.6-10||Improved gamepad mapping||Oct 28, 2013|
|1.9.15||Android 4.0 Holo interface||Jan 28, 2014|
For half a year, ePSXe was developed in private. When released on October 14, 2000, ePSXe was a revolution in the PSX emulation scene, boasting higher compatibility and performance than other PlayStation emulators of the time.
After ePSXe 1.6.0 was released on August 5, 2003, its development seemed to halt, with rumors claiming that the source code had been lost due to a hard disk failure. However, on April 5, 2008, the developers of ePSXe made a public statement revealing that in the summer of 2007, they had decided to continue development of the emulator, due to encouragement from users. On May 24, 2008, ePSXe version 1.7.0 was released.
After another hiatus, the developers came back on August 30, 2012, announcing the release of ePSXe for Android, as well as saying that ePSXe for Windows was in testing of version 1.8.0. This version was released on November 9, 2012.
As with many modern emulators, ePSXe makes use of plug-ins to emulate GPU, SPU (sound), and CD-ROM drive functions, a model first established in PSEmu Pro. Games can be loaded from the computer's CD drive or from one of many types of CD images directly from the user's hard drive.
A patching feature allows the user to apply game patches. Games that do not necessarily run properly, or even start at all, can be fixed and played via the use of ePSXe patch files in .ppf format. Not all games prone to bugs have ppf patches written for them.
Until version 1.9.25, ePSXe could only function with an image of an official Sony PlayStation BIOS. Since the various PlayStation BIOS images are copyrighted by Sony, it is illegal to distribute them. For this reason, ePSXe does not come bundled with any of the PlayStation BIOS images, requiring the user to provide one for the emulator. Version 1.9.25 added HLE BIOS support, allowing it to mimic the effect of the PlayStation's BIOS, although compatibility is currently lower than an official BIOS.
- GPU: Most GPU plug-ins run with either Direct3D, OpenGL, or the Glide API, and are available as freeware or open source. Many GPU plugins require game-specific hacks to run games.
- SPU: The SPU plug-ins can emulate everything from music to sound effects, with varying degrees of success depending on the plug-in settings, and of course the plug-in being used
- CD-ROM: ePSXe comes with a core CD-ROM plug-in, but many others are available for freeware download and many can emulate up to seven different types of read modes
- Input: The core plug-in is sufficient, but there are others that allow for more functionality.
ePSXe is able to run most PlayStation games accurately. Few games run flawlessly without extensive configuration and trial by error testing. In the case that a game does not run successfully, patches written for the game in question can be used, though few games have patches available.
- Processor: Pentium 200 MHz, recommended Pentium 3 at 1 GHz
- RAM: 256 MB RAM, recommended 512 MB RAM
- Video card: 3D capable video card with support for OpenGL, DirectX, or Glide
- Operating system: Windows or Linux
- CD-ROM: 16x or faster (optional)
- "ePSXe for Android". Google Play. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "ePSXe 1.9.25 released". ePSXe Team. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2015-01-28.
- "ePSXe for Android". ePSXe. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- "Welcome to the official ePSXe website". ePSXe. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- atila (October 14, 2000). "Saturday, October 14, 2000 - ePSXe released!". retrogames.com. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- "News March 2001". AEP Emulation Page. 2001-02-25. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "News June 2001". AEP Emulation Page. 2001-06-24. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "News January 2002". AEP Emulation Page. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "ePSXe 1.6.0". AEP Emulation Page. 2003-08-05. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "ePSXe 1.7.0 released!". Emulation64.com. The Emulation64 Network. 2008-06-02. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "ePSXe 1.80 released". NGEmu.com. 2012-11-10. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "ePSXe 1.90 for Windows and Linux have been released". NGEmu.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "ePSXe 1.9.25 for windows and linux have been released". emulation64.com. Retrieved 2015-03-23.
- "ePSXe for Android – changelog". ePSXe. Retrieved 2014-11-16.
- "ePSXe message board rules". ePSXe.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Enhance PS1 Graphics With The Best ePSXe Plugin Settings". Racketboy.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Game compatibility list for ePSXe".
- Based on the documentation file and official website.
- "Retro Coverdisc". Retro Gamer (15): 108. 2005.
- "India > Reviews > Games > Reviews > ePSXe 1.5.2". Techtree.com. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Official website
- Download version 1.9.25 for Windows
- Download version 1.9.25 for Linux
- ePSXe for Android website