ESET NOD32 Antivirus v8 running on Windows 8.1
9.0.385.0 / 29 June 2016
220.127.116.11 / 5 August 2014
|Development status||Publicly released|
|Written in||Assembly language|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows Mobile, Android|
|Size||60.89 MB (32-bit), 72.0 MB (64-bit)|
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
ESET NOD32 Antivirus, commonly known as NOD32, is an antivirus software package made by the Slovak company ESET. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is sold in two editions, Home Edition and Business Edition. The Business Edition packages add ESET Remote Administrator allowing for server deployment and management, mirroring of threat signature database updates and the ability to install on Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- 1 History
- 2 Development
- 3 Discontinued products
- 4 Technical information
- 5 Reception
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The acronym NOD stands for Nemocnica na Okraji Disku ("Hospital at the end of the disk"), a pun related to the Czechoslovak medical drama series Nemocnice na kraji města (Hospital at the End of the City). The first version of NOD32 - called NOD-ICE - was a DOS-based program. It was created in 1987 by Miroslav Trnka and Peter Paško at the time when computer viruses started to become increasingly prevalent on PCs running DOS. Due to the limitations of the OS however (lack of multitasking among others) it didn't feature any on-demand/on-access protection nor most of the other features of the current versions. Besides the virus scanning and cleaning functionality it only featured heuristic analysis. With the increasing popularity of the Windows environment, advent of 32-bit CPUs, a shift on the PC market and increasing popularity of the Internet came the need for a completely different antivirus approach as well. Thus the original program was re-written and christinged "NOD32" name both to emphasize the radical shift from the previous version and its Win32 system compatibility.
Initially the program gained popularity with IT workers in Eastern European countries, as ESET was based in Slovakia. Though the program's abbreviation was originally pronounced as individual letters, recent worldwide use of the program has led to the more common single-word pronunciation, sounding like the English word nod. Additionally, the "32" portion of the name is an anachronism with the release of a 64-bit version in the Windows 7 era. The company reached its 10000th update to virus definitions on June 25, 2014.
Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server
On March 10, 2010 ESET released ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server, which contains both antimalware and antispam modules. It supports Microsoft Exchange 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010.
ESET Mobile Security is the replacement for ESET Mobile Antivirus, which provided anti-malware and antispam functionality. ESET Mobile Security contains all the features of the older product and adds new anti-theft features such as SIM locking and remote wipe as well as a security audit and a firewall. Versions for Windows Mobile and Symbian OS were available as of September 2010, for both home and enterprise users.
ESET Remote Administrator is a central management console designed to allow network administrators to manage ESET software across a corporate network.
On November 5, 2007, ESET released an Internet security suite, ESET Smart Security version 3.0, to compete with other security suites by other companies such as McAfee, Symantec, AVG and Kaspersky. ESET Smart Security incorporates anti-spam and a bidirectional firewall along with traditional anti-malware features of ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
On March 2, 2009, ESET Smart Security version 4.0 was released, adding integration of ESET SysInspector; support for Mozilla Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail; a new self-defense module, an updated firewall module, ESET SysRescue and a wizard for creating bootable CD and USB flash drives. There were initially compatibility problems between ESET Smart Security 4.0 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 but these were remedied by an update.
On August 17, 2010, ESET Smart Security version 4.2 was released with new features, enhancements and changes.
On September 14, 2011, ESET Smart Security version 5.0 was released.
On January 15, 2013, ESET Smart Security version 6.0 was released. This version included Anti-Theft feature for tracking of lost, misplaced or stolen laptop.
On October 16, 2013, ESET Smart Security version 7.0 was released. It offers enhanced operation memory scanning and blocks misuses of known exploits.
On October 13, 2015, ESET Smart Security version 9.0 was released.
ESET SysInspector is a diagnostic tool which allows in-depth analysis of various aspects of the operating system, including running processes, registry content, startup items and network connections. Anti-Stealth Technology is used to discover hidden objects (rootkits) in the Master Boot Record, boot sector, registry entries, drivers, services and processes. SysInspector Logs are standard XML files and can be submitted to IT experts for further analysis. Two logs can be compared to find a set of items not common to both logs. A log file can be saved as a service script for removing malicious objects from a computer.
ESET SysRescue Live is a Linux-based bootable Live CD/USB image that can be used to boot and clean heavily-infected computers independent of the installed operating system. The program is offered free of charge, and can download updates if a network connection is present.
File Security for Microsoft Windows Server
On June 1, 2010, the first release candidate for ESET File Security for Microsoft Windows Server v4.3 was made available to the public. This program is an updated version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition designed for Microsoft Windows Server operating systems and contains a revised user interface, automatic exclusions for critical directories and files and unspecified optimizations for operation on servers.
On April 22, 2010, ESET Mobile Security for Windows Mobile and Symbian OS went into public beta. The Home Edition was released on September 2, 2010, and on January 20, 2011, the Business Edition went into beta.
NOD32 for Mac OS X and Linux Desktop
On December 2, 2009, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac OS X Desktop and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Linux Desktop were released for public testing. ESET stated the release automatically detects and cleans cross-platform malware, scans archives, automatically scans removable media such as USB flash drives when mounted, performs real-time scanning, provides reports and offers a GUI similar to the Microsoft Windows version. The second beta test versions were released January 9, 2010, and the third on June 10, 2010.
On September 24, 2010, ESET released a Release Candidate for ESET Cybersecurity for Mac OS X and on January 21, 2011, ESET released a Release Candidate for ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Desktop
On May 5, 2011, ESET released a beta test version of ESET Smart Security 5.0. The beta version adds parental control, a cloud-based file reputation service, gamer mode, HIPS and improvements to its antispam, firewall and removable media control functions. On June 14, 2011, ESET released a release candidate for ESET Smart Security version 5.0.
On August 5, 2014, ESET Smart Security version 8.0 public beta 1 was released. It offers enhanced exploit blocking and botnet detection.
ESET Mobile Antivirus was aimed at protecting smartphones from viruses, spyware, adware, trojans, worms, rootkits, and other unwanted software. It also provided antispam filtering for SMS messages. Versions for Windows Mobile and Symbian OS were available. ESET discontinued ESET Mobile Antivirus in January 2011 and provides ESET Mobile Security as a free upgrade to licensed users of ESET Mobile Antivirus.
NOD32 Antivirus v2.7 and older
On 1 February 2010, ESET discontinued version 2.7 of NOD32 Antivirus and all previous version of NOD32 Antivirus. They were removed from the ESET website, including product pages and e-Store. Version 2.7 was the last version supporting DOS-based Microsoft operating systems (95/98/ME) and Novell NetWare. Virus signature database updates and customer support was discontinued on February 1, 2012.
On a network, NOD32 clients can update from a central "mirror server" on the network.
As of 27 April 2011[update], NOD32 Antivirus holds ICSA Labs certifications. Also as of the same day, NOD32 has accumulated sixty seven VB100 awards from Virus Bulletin; it has thrice failed to receive this award.
In comparative report that Virus Bulletin published on 2 September 2008, NOD32 detected 94.4% of all malware and 94.7% of spyware. It stood above competitors like Norton Internet Security and ZoneAlarm but below Windows Live OneCare and Avira AntiVir. In the RAP averages quadrant between December 2011 and June 2012, Virus Bulletin found that ESET was pretty much at the same level, circa 94%, but was noted for its ability to block spam and phishing, earning an award, an award only 19 other antivirus companies were able to acquire.
On 28 April 2008, Robert Vamosi of CNET.com reviewed version 3.0 of NOD32 and gave it a score of 3.5/5. On 6 March 2009, Seth Rosenblatt of Download.com reviewed the 4.0 version of NOD32 gave it a rating of 4.6/5. On 15 September 2011, Seth Rosenblatt of CNET reviewed the 5.0 version of NOD32 and gave it a rating of 5/5.
- Paul Wilders (24 March 2004). "NOD32 - What does it mean?". Wilders Security Forums. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- Jozef Andacký (10 July 2014), Začiatky Esetu (in Slovak), p. 13, ISSN 1335-0684
- "NOD32 - What does it mean? - Wilders Security Forums". Wilderssecurity.com. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- ESET launches ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server and ESET Smart Security 4.2
- "ESET Mobile Security released". Eset.com. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET Mobile Security Business Edition for Windows Mobile and Symbian has been released". Eset.com. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Full changelog". Wilderssecurity.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Full Changelog". Beta.eset.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Why does my Protection status icon turn red after installing Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008? (4.0)". Kb.eset.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET Smart Security 4.2 changelog". Wilderssecurity.com. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 Release Candidate available". Wilderssecurity.com. 2011-09-24. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "ESET Smart Security 6.0 unveiled". Wilderssecurity.com. 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security version 8 have been released". ESET. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "Say Hello to ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9". ESET. 2015-10-13. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "ESET SysRescue Live". ESET. 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "Stand-alone malware removal tools". 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- "ESET announces Release Candidate of ESET File Security 4.3 for Microsoft Windows Server". www.eset.eu. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "ESET Mobile Security Beta Program". Beta.eset.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET Mobile Security Business Edition Beta Program". ESET. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "ESET Mobile Security for Android Beta". ESET. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "ESET Announces Release Candidate Version of ESET Mobile Security for Android Smartphones". ESET. 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- ESET Releases Beta Version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac OS X and Linux
- ESET Beta Portal - Changelog
- "ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Mac OS X has been released in English (ENU)". Eset.com. 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- ESET Announces ESET Cybersecurity for Mac, the home edition of the program.
- "ESET Announces Release Candidate for ESET Cybersecurity". Eset.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "changelog for ESET Cybersecurity for Mac OS X release candidate". Eset.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET Beta Portal". Eset.com. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "ESET Launches BETA Versions of ESET Smart Security 5 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 with Enhanced Technology and Features". ESET.COM. 2011-05-05. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "ESET Announces Release Candidates of ESET Smart Security 5 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5". ESET.EU. 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "ESET Smart Security And ESET Nod32 Antivirus 8 Beta Available". ESET Security Forum. 2014-08-04. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "ESET Announces new Mobile Security Solution for Smartphone Protection". Eset.com. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ESET Announces Plan to Discontinue NOD32 Antivirus 2.7". Eset.com. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "ICSA Labs Certified Products Eset spol. s.r.o". ICSALabs.com. ICSA Labs. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "Virus Bulletin : Independent Malware Advice". Virusbtn.com. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "AV-Test release latest results". Virus Bulletin. Virus Bulletin Ltd. 2008-09-02. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- Vamosi, Robert (2008-04-28). "ESET NOD32 3.0 Antivirus System (Windows) System utility reviews - CNET Reviews". CNET.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- Rosenblatt, Seth. "ESET NOD32 Antivirus". Download.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2011-04-27.