Limited liability company |
(Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung)
|Industry||Automobile, Software, Hardware|
|Friedhelm Pickhard, Bernd Hergert, Christopher White|
|Revenue||174 Mio. Euro (2014)|
Number of employees
ETAS GmbH, founded in 1994, is a 100-percent subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH with international subsidiaries and sales offices in France, the United States, Canada, China, Japan, the United Kingdom, India, Korea, Brazil, Sweden, Italy, and the Russian Federation. ETAS GmbH does not publish its own annual report. The total number of associates amounted to 1000 as of December 2016.
In 2003, the ETAS Group was formed by the merger of the Bosch subsidiary ETAS GmbH (the company name being the acronym of Engineering Tools, Application and Services), LiveDevices Ltd., York, United Kingdom, and Vetronix Corporation, Santa Barbara, California, United States. The company’s headquarters is located in Stuttgart. ETAS provides automakers, their suppliers, engineering service providers, and customers from other sectors of the embedded industry with tools and solutions for embedded systems, e.g. development tools (in the form of both software and hardware) for ECUs used in passenger cars and trucks, engineering services, consulting, training, and support. With the objective of achieving shorter development cycles, increased software quality, and improved fault analysis, tools and solutions of this kind have been deployed in the auto industry since the early nineties.
The ETAS subsidiary ESCRYPT provides security solutions related to embedded systems.
Major product lines
Open product family for the model-based development of embedded automotive software:
- Model-based software design for control functions and control algorithms
- Office, lab, or vehicle-based simulation and rapid prototyping of Electronic Control Unit (ECU) functions
- Automatic code generation for ECUs in production quality (more than 65 million produced since 1997)
- Compatible with standards such as ASAM (including MSR (Manufacturer and Suppliers Relationship Group), OSEK, AUTOSAR, MISRA, XML, UML and IEC 61508 (certified for safety-critical systems)
- Compatible with tools such as MATLAB/Simulink.
Typical deployment in the development of electronic control units for internal combustion engines, hybrid propulsion systems, transmission control units, chassis management systems (ABS, ESC), as well as convenience electronics
INCA is a measuring and calibration environment for ECUs:
- Measuring, displaying, recording and evaluation of ECU data
- Adjustment and administration of data records
- Based on open automotive standards
- Suitable for deployment in the lab, in the vehicle and on the test bench
According to corporate claims, ETAS is the market leader for measurement and calibration tools.
Product family for the virtual prototyping and rapid prototyping of ECU functions:
- Integration of models created in ASCET and MATLAB/Simulink, as well as C-Code
- Verification and validation of ECU functions, also in real-time conditions
- Suited to deployment in office, lab and vehicle
Product family for the creation of a Hardware-In-The-Loop (HiL) setup. LABCAR is mainly a development application for the hardware interface connection to the ECU: Some execution and automation of ECU tests, based on models created in ASCET and MATLAB/Simulink, is possible to integrate into LABCAR. LABCAR is inseparably connected to Experiment Environment (EE), which usually is the control panel of the HiL currently running.
Real-time operating systems (RTOS) for ECU microcontrollers:
- Conformant with standards such as OSEK, AUTOSAR, MISRA
- High performance for OSEK operating systems
- Installed base in the hundreds of millions
Various hardware products serving specialized purposes:
- Connecting ECU processors (e.g., ETK)
- Measurement data acquisition
- Real-time simulation of ECU functions or of physical ECU environments
- Applications for diagnostics and testing for vehicle manufacturers and service shops (e.g., diagnostic scanner for reading a vehicle's fault memory).