- There is no 8-byte restriction on token length.
- Statements can be up to 255 characters long.
- EXEC 2 can issue commands to subcommand environments as well as CMS and CP.
- EXEC 2 has additional built-in functions.
- EXEC 2 commands may include subroutines and functions.
- EXEC 2 has extra debugging facilities.
- CMS programs can manipulate EXEC 2 variables.
XEDIT Macros are files with filetype XEDIT, whose contents are written using the syntax of CMS EXEC, EXEC 2 or REXX. Like regular EXEC 2 "EXEC" command files, they begin with a "&TRACE" statement, to distinguish them from CMS EXEC files.
All three command interpreters—CMS EXEC, EXEC 2 and REXX — continue to be supported by the IBM CMS product.
- Varian, Melinda. "VM AND THE VM COMMUNITY: Past, Present, and Future" (PDF). Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- IBM Corporation. "EXEC 2 Processor and CMS EXEC Processor". Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "EXEC 2 Processor and CMS EXEC Processor".
- EXEC 2 Reference (PDF). p. 92.
- "EXEC 2".