|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
EXID in July 2016
(L–R): LE, Solji, Jeonghwa, Hani and Hyelin
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
EXID (/ /; Hangul: 이엑스아이디), short for "Exceed In Dreaming", is a South Korean girl group formed in 2012. The group consists of five-members: Solji, LE, Hani, Hyelin and Jeonghwa. They made their debut as a six-member group in February 2012, with the single "Whoz That Girl". Their first EP Hippity Hop was released in August 2012 to limited success. The group unexpectedly gained success after their 2014 single "Up & Down", which did not chart well upon initial release reached number one on the Gaon Singles Chart four months later, when a fan-recording of one of EXID's performances of the song became a viral video. EXID released their second EP Ah Yeah in April 2015, to commercial success. Their first studio album, entitled Street, was released in June 2016.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In May 2011, producer Shinsadong Tiger and AB Entertainment scouted several trainees from JYP Entertainment to form a new girl group. Trainee Yuji was the first to join when a JYP girl group failed to debut. Yuji contacted the trainees Hani, Haeryeong, and Junghwa to audition for AB, and all three were subsequently accepted into the agency. The group added a fifth member when Shinsadong Tiger discovered LE, an underground rapper and songwriter who performed under the name Elly. Dami, who was already an AB trainee, was the sixth and last member added to the group. Originally named "WT", an acronym for "Who's That", the group changed their name to EXID a few months before their debut. In December 2011, LE was featured in Huh Gak's single "Whenever You Play That Song", which appeared on Korean music charts. EXID was scheduled to debut in January 2012, but their debut was delayed to February when LE sustained a leg injury during rehearsals. On February 3, AB Entertainment announced that EXID would debut with the single "Whoz That Girl". Video teasers featuring the members doing solo performances were subsequently released online.
2012: Debut, line-up changes, and Hippity Hop
EXID released their first single "Whoz That Girl" from the digital single album Holla, on February 16, 2012. They made their debut performance on M! Countdown, and then performed on Music Core and Inkigayo. Their debut song "Whoz That Girl" peaked at #36 on the Gaon Singles Chart and ultimately sold 840,000 digital copies.
In April 2012, AB Entertainment officially announced members Yuji, Dami, and Haeryeong's departure. said in a statement that Yuji and Dami had left the group to focus on their studies, while Haeryeong had left to pursue an acting career. They were replaced by Solji, a former member of vocal duo 2NB, and Hyelin, who was originally considered for EXID's original lineup before she was dropped. With the new members, EXID returned in August 2012 with their second single "I Feel Good" from their first EP Hippity Hop. Hippity Hop debuted at #13 on the Gaon Albums Chart, selling 1,500 copies. EXID released the digital single "Every Night", in October. The title track is an alternate version of LE's self-written song "Phone Call", which was recorded in their debut EP. "Every Night" debuted at #43 on the Gaon Singles Chart, selling 105,000 digital copies.
On October 11, EXID released the song "Hey Boy" as part of the soundtrack release for MBC's sitcom The Thousandth Man. The song is the female version of B1A4‘s song "Hey Girl". Producer Shinsadong Tiger rearranged the song into a "reggae style" to create a different approach from B1A4's original version. It was revealed on November 30 that EXID, along with Big Star and D-Unit, would release a collaboration album, in addition to doing a special year of end show. The concert, entitled "The Bugs Show Vol. 1", was held on December 22 at the V-Hall in the Hongdae area of Seoul. On December 6, EXID won the rookie award at the 20th Korea Culture & Entertainment Awards.
2013–14: Dasoni sub-unit, "Up & Down", and rise in popularity
In February 2013, EXID released the single "Up & Down", from the Incarnation of Money soundtrack. It was announced shortly afterwards that members Hani and Solji would form a subunit called "Dasoni". The sub-unit released their debut single "Goodbye" on February 15, with the B-side track "Said So Often".
In June 2014, EXID was announced to have signed an exclusive contract with Yedang Entertainment, and were preparing a comeback in collaboration with producer Shinsadong Tiger. On August 24, EXID held their comeback showcase at the Ilchi Art Hall, performing their new song "Up & Down". The song was released on August 27 and initially charted poorly, failing to make it onto the top 100 of the Gaon Chart; though it peaked at #94 on the domestic chart. However, the song slowly gained popularity in early October after a fan-recorded video of member Hani performing the song went viral on Korean social networking websites. The video has been viewed more than 22 million times to date. This led to the song shooting back up record charts, eventually climbing to the top 10 on the real-time charts and topping the Gaon Chart. Because of the success of the fancam, EXID was invited back onto stage to promote despite the fact their promotions ended months before. Due to this success, EXID returned to several music programs to promote "Up and Down". The song was subsequently nominated for a first place award on Show! Music Core, The Music Trend, and M!Countdown, where they took their first music show win since debut on January 8, 2015. The group won a second award at KBS's Music Bank on January 9, and a third one at SBS's Inkigayo on January 11.
2015: Ah Yeah and "Hot Pink"
In February 2015, Solji participated in the pilot episode of MBC's singing competition program King of Mask Singer. She became the first winner of the show, which drew a lot of attention to EXID. On April 13, the music video for the title song "Ah Yeah", from EXID's second mini album, was released. The group won first place with "Ah Yeah" on both April 26 and May 3 episodes of SBS's Inkigayo, as well as the April 29 and May 6 episodes of Show Champion.
In May, the group made their first American performance at the Korean Music Festival in Los Angeles, California. EXID featured in their own season of the MBC Every1 reality show Showtime in July. That month Junghwa also made her acting debut as the female lead in Webtoon Hero Toondra Show, which also aired on MBC Every1.
On November 7, EXID won the MBC Music Star Award at the 2015 MelOn Music Awards. The music video for "Hot Pink" was released on November 17. "Hot Pink" was nominated for a first place award on various music programs. The group received their first win for "Hot Pink" on November 25 on Show Champion, and their second win on December 6 on Inkigayo.
2016-present: First studio album Street, Chinese debut, and KCON Mexico
On June 1, 2016, the group released their first full-length studio album titled Street with the title track "L.I.E". On the 8th of June, EXID won first place with L.I.E on Show Champion and not much later, they won first place twice on Inkigayo and The Show as well.
On December 20, 2016, EXID released their first Chinese single, "Cream" on QQ Music and YinYueTai-which charted #6 on Billboard China. However, a day later, Banana Culture announced that Solji had been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and that she would halt all her activities for the awards season of 2016-17, while the remaining four members continue on. On January 10, 2017, the group released their second Chinese single "Up & Down" (Chinese: 上下; pinyin: Shàngxià). On the same day of its release, an editied version MV for "Up & Down (Chinese Ver)" was uploaded to YouTube and the original was removed. Some Chinese fans had found EXID's dancing in the forbidden city to be inappropriate whilst some thought that it was completely normal.
On 15 January, member LE revealed that Solji is on her way to heal and that the song for the new album are all ready. She had revealed that it would be totally different from what they had released before. On 1 February, EXID was revealed to be a part of the lineup for KCON Mexico, and are scheduled to perform at the Mexico City Arena on March 17, 2017. Insiders shared information that the group's comeback may be delayed to April due to Solji's health issues.
- Solji (솔지) was born Heo Solji (허솔지) on January 10, 1989 . She was formerly a member of the vocal duo 2NB with Blady's Gabin, and released solo singles in 2008. Solji was EXID's vocal trainer before becoming a member, and was the first winner of King of Mask Singer in 2015, and is known for being one of the top vocalists in South Korea.
- LE (엘리) was born Ahn Hyo-jin (안효진) on December 10, 1991 . She is a former member of the underground rap team Jiggy Fellaz under the name Elly. She was featured a duet with singer Huh Gak before EXID's debut. LE has collaborated with a many artists, including Hyuna and Im Chang-jung. In 2013, she auditioned for the rap competition show Show Me the Money 2. She had composed and written for many idols besides EXID.
- Hani (하니) was born Ahn Hee-yeon (안희연) on May 1, 1992 . She was a JYP Entertainment trainee for a year while a freshman in high school. Hani has appeared in several episodes of the variety shows Off to School and Match Made in Heaven Returns, and was a fixed cast member of the variety show Crime Scene 2. She also became a host of the KBS2 fashion show A Style for You and appeared in the music video for Mad Clown's number one single "Fire". She was the first runner up on King of Mask Singer.
- Hyelin (혜린) was born Seo Hyelin (서혜린) on August 23, 1993 . In 2011, she participated in Superstar K3, making it through the auditions to "SuperWeek". She competed in King of Mask Singer .
- Jeonghwa (정화) was born Park Jung-hwa (박정화) on May 8, 1995 , and is a former JYP Entertainment trainee. Before becoming a member of EXID, she appeared in the music videos for "Tell Me" by the Wonder Girls and "Whenever You Play That Song" by Huh Gak and LE. In 2015, she appeared in several episodes of MBC Every1's Match Made in Heaven Returns.
- Yuji (유지) was born Jung Yu-ji (정유지) on  She was previously a trainee under JYP Entertainment, and prepared to debut in a group with Sistar's Hyorin, Secret's Jieun and EXID's Hani. However, the group never debuted, and all four girls eventually withdrew from JYP Entertainment. Yuji left EXID shortly after their debut, and joined girl group Bestie a year later along with the other two former members. During her debut with the new group, she changed her stage name to Uji. January 2, 1991 .
- Dami (다미) was born as Kang Hye-yeon (강혜연) on  Shortly after debuting with EXID, she left the group. She then joined Bestie and changed her stage name from Dami to her birth name, Hyeyeon. December 8, 1990 .
- Haeryeong (해령) was born as Na Hae-ryeong (나해령) on November 11, 1994  and was previously a trainee under JYP Entertainment. Shortly after the group's debut, Haeryeong left to pursue an acting career before joining Bestie.
- Street (2016)
EXID's original lineup had a cameo performance in episode 8 of the tvN drama Twelve Men in a Year. After the group's lineup changes, they started their own reality show, titled "EXID BUTBUT TV", which features EXID's activities when they are not performing. The episodes are released through the group's official YouTube channel. The first season of BUTBUT TV was in 2012-2013, the second in 2013-2014, the third in 2014, the fourth in 2015, and most recent, the fifth in 2016.
|2014||Idol School||MBC Music||Guest (EP 11)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 178)|
|2015||Immortal Song 2||KBS||Guest (Episode 182)|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest (Junghwa & Hani, EP 207)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 197)|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Lunar Special
Bronze Medal (Archery - W)
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 226)|
|Running Man||SBS||Hani (Episode 237)|
|Gourmet Road||K-STAR||EXID members (EP 233)|
|EXID Showtime||MBC Every1||Hosting, Themselves|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Chuseok Special
Gold Medal (400m Relay Race - W)
|Running Man||SBS||Hani (Episode 275)|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest (Hani, LE, & Hyelin, EP 250)|
|2016||Bon Boon Olympic||KBS||Hani & Solji (Chuseok Pilot Episode)|
|A Look At Myself||KBS||Special Guest (EP 23)|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Lunar Special
Gold Medal (Wrestling - W)
Gold Medal (Archery - W)
Silver Medal (400m Relay Race - W)
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Hani as MC(Episode 245 - 270, 275)|
|Idol & Family National Singing Competition||KBS||Audience (EXID members)
Contestant - Solji & her brother
|Happy Together||KBS2||Guest (Solji, EP 461)|
|Battle Trip||KBS||Solji & Hani (Episode 2-3)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 254)|
Awards and nominations
Since debuting in 2012, EXID has won four various awards and 17 music program awards. On January 8, 2015, the group won their first number-one win on M! Countdown due to the big success of their digital single "Up & Down", followed by wins on Music Bank, The Music Trend and The Show.
- Park, Hyun-min; Lee, Ju-ahn (March 20, 2012). "[Interview] Will EXID Become the Next Big Thing?". CJ E&M enewsworld. Mwave. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- "EXID Release New Version of Breakout Hit 'Up & Down' After Sexy Viral Video Success". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "EXID hopes new album as successful as 'Up & Down'". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Lee, Seung-mi (November 23, 2014). '제2의 빠빠빠'탄생?…EXID '위아래'광속 차트 역주행. Ilgan Sports (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "EXID와 베스티의 분리 과정 정리 The story behind the split between EXID and Bestie". Nate Pann. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- 신사동호랭이, 걸그룹 WT 제작자로 변신..내년 초 전격 데뷔. The Korea Herald (in Korean). October 21, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (December 9, 2011). EXID LE, 허각과 함께 한 `그 노래를 틀때마다`로 1위 `감격`. Edaily (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Huh Gak Le releases 'Whenever You Play That Song'". MTV K. December 9, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Shinsadong Horaengi's new girl group EXID postpone their debut to February, Why?". Starnews. Korea.com. January 23, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (February 4, 2012). "신사동호랭이 표 걸그룹 EXID, 티저포스터 공개". Donga (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (February 16, 2012). "EXID drops MV for Whoz That Girl". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- EXID, 오늘 '엠카운트다운'서 컴백 첫 무대. The Star (in Korean). February 16, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Gwon, Su-bin (April 30, 2012). EXID 멤버교체 "3명 하차 VS 2명 영입, 5인조 재편해 6월 컴백". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyunmin (April 30, 2012). "EXID undergoes member changes". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Ho, Stewart. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-ju (July 16, 2012). ‘멤버교체’ 5인조 EXID, 8월 중순 전격 컴백. StarN News (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (July 31, 2012). "EXID Welcomes New Members Sol Ji and Hye Rin". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erika. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "EXID - HIPPITY HOP ご購入ならミュージックコリア". Musickorea.jp. October 2, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (October 2, 2012). "EXID releases new digital single 'Every Night'". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Gwak, Min-gu (October 11, 2012). EXID. ‘천 번째 남자’ OST 합류…B1A4 ‘Hey Girl’ 女 버전 눈길. Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- 빅스타-디유닛-EXID, 콜라보 음원 발매...'특별 프로젝트'. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. November 30, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (December 4, 2012). "Electroboys, Big Star, EXID, Dok2 and Others Come Together for Christmas Show". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- EXID, 대한민국 문화연예대상 신인상 수상 "더욱 열심히 할게요". The Korea Herald (in Korean). December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "EXID wins Rookie Award at 20th Korean Culture & Entert. Awards". Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Mun, Wan-sik (February 11, 2013). EXID 솔지, 무보정 '애플힙' 몸매 공개. Star News (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (February 15, 2013). "EXID debuts new unit, Dasoni". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erika. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-Joo (June 28, 2014). "EXID sign a new management contract with Yedang Entertainment". Star N News. Yahoo Entertainment Singapore. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Khelil, Nawael. "EXID makes you go Up & Down". BNTNews. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "2014년 36주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Archived from the original on December 17, 2014. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Kim Hyo-eun; Sung So-young (December 15, 2014). "Social media gives failing singers another chance". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Ha, Yeong-heon (November 23, 2014). 걸그룹 EXID ‘위아래’, 음원차트 역주행 기현상 ‘벌써 10위권’. Sports Kyunghyang (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- EXID '위아래'의 놀라운 역주행. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "2015년 02주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Park, Gyu-oh (December 3, 2014). "EXID buoyed by belated popularity of 'Up & Down'" (in Korean). K-Pop Herald. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- '음악중심' EXID '위아래' 1위 후보 퍼포먼스 (in Korean). YTN. January 3, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Yoon, So-hee (January 2, 2014). ‘인기가요’ 차트 집계 기준 변경으로 1위 후보 ‘EXID vs 지디태양 vs 엑소’ (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Choi, Ji-hyun (January 8, 2014). EXID, 데뷔 3년만에 첫 1위 기념 인증샷 공개 "평생 잊지 못할 날" (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Song, Soo-Bin. "'뮤직뱅크' EXID 지상파 첫 1위, 앵콜무대서 연지곤지 탈춤 공약 이행".
- "'인기가요' EXID 음악방송 3사 1위…눈물의 소감 들어보니? '울컥'". news.donga.com. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "EXID's Solji cries emotionally on singing competitive program, 'Mask King'". www.allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "EXID's say 'Ah-Yeah' for their comeback in MV teaser!". Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- "EXID is up next for "Showtime" Season 5!". Retrieved June 9, 2015.
- "EXID's Junghwa confirmed for her first acting role in upcoming webtoon drama". Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Kim, Jinsu (2015-11-17). "[AJU TV] EXID, 18일 대망의 싱글 앨범 '핫핑크' 음원/MV 출격!".
- crystalcove. "Update: EXID Reveals Teasers For First Studio Album "Street"". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- Bilian. "#EXID: Girl Group Drops Chinese Version Of Hit Song "Up & Down"". Hype. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- alim17. "EXID next drops Chinese MV of hit song 'Up & Down'". allkpop. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Solji (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Kim Hyeong-u (May 19, 2015). "10년무명 EXID 솔지 최근 첫 정산에 부모님 선물, 끝내 눈물 펑펑". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "EXID 솔지, 눈물 펑펑 '네 나이면 구하라처럼 생겨야…'". Asia Economy (in Korean). May 7, 2015. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "LE (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- 신사동 호랭이의 EXID "우리는 주입식 걸그룹 아니다" (인터뷰) [Shinsadong Tiger's EXID says, "We are not another cheesy girl group" (Interview)]. Xports News (in Korean). February 28, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Oh MiJung (February 15, 2012). "EXID Debuts with the Support of Hyuna and Huh Gak". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (August 13, 2014). "[Video] Hyuna Creates a 'Blacklist' in Choreography Practice Video". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (November 24, 2014). "[Video] Lim Chang Jung Drops Hilarious ′Shall We Dance with Dr. Lim′ MV Feat. SUJU, U-Kiss, A Pink, Shinhwa, and More". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "'쇼미더머니2' EXID 안효진 탈락, 아웃사이더 매서운 혹평". TV Daily (in Korean). June 14, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Hani (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jeon Ah Ram (March 17, 2015). "EXID's Hani Trained with Sistar's Hyolyn, Secret's Song Jieun and More at JYP". Newsen. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong Hye-jin (March 19, 2015). "Hani shows off her language skill". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Park Ji Ryun (March 4, 2015). "EXID's Hani, Nicole, Seo Kang Jun and More Join 'Soulmates Returns'". Newsen. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Ahn, Woorim (March 12, 2015). "JTBC 'Crime Scene 2' Confirms Its Final Casts". BNT News. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Kim Min Ji (February 11, 2015). "SUJU's Heechul, Sistar's Bora, Kara's Goo Hara and EXID's Hani to Host 'A Style for You'". Newsen. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Lee Yousun (January 6, 2015). "Mad Clown releases teaser for "Fire" featuring EXID's Hani". Korean Wave. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Hyelin (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jeon Ah Ram (February 2, 2015). "'Yaman TV' Unveils EXID Hani's JYP Audition Video". Newsen. CJ E&M. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Junghwa (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- 유승호 '그 노래를 틀 때마다' 뮤비, 박정화와 연인포스 3단콤보 '누나 질투유발'. TV Daily (in Korean). December 8, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Bestie artist profile". KBS World Radio. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jackson, Julie (February 20, 2013). "SuPearls no more: YG's newest girl group disbands before debut". The Korea Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to EXID.|