|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
(L–R): Hani, Hyelin, Junghwa, LE and Solji
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
EXID (/ /; Hangul: 이엑스아이디), short for "Exceed In Dreaming", is a five-member South Korean girl group, composed of Solji, LE, Hani, Hyelin and Junghwa. They made their debut as a six-member group on February 16, 2012, with the single "Whoz That Girl". Their first EP Hippity Hop was released in August 2012 to limited success; however, the group found success with the 2014 single "Up & Down", which did not chart well upon initial release, but unexpectedly reached number one on the Gaon Singles Chart four months later on, when a fan-recording of one of EXID's performances of the song became a viral video.
EXID released their second EP Ah Yeah on April 13, 2015. Its lead single "Ah Yeah" was a commercial success (peaking at #2 on the Gaon Singles Chart), as was their next single "Hot Pink", released in November 2015. They released their first full-length studio album, Street, on June 1, 2016.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In May 2011, producer Shinsadong Tiger and AB Entertainment scouted several trainees from JYP Entertainment to form a new girl group. Trainee Yuji was the first to join when a JYP girl group failed to debut. Yuji contacted the trainees Hani, Haeryeong, and Junghwa to audition for AB, and all three were subsequently accepted into the agency. The group added a fifth member when Shinsadong Tiger discovered LE, an underground rapper and songwriter who performed under the name 'Elly'. Dami, who was already an AB trainee, was the sixth and last member added to the group. Originally named "WT", an acronym for "Who's That", the group later changed their name to EXID, an initialism for "Exceed in Dreaming", a few months before their debut. In December 2011, LE was featured in Huh Gak's single "Whenever You Play That Song", which appeared on Korean music charts.
EXID was scheduled to debut in January 2012, but their debut was delayed to February when LE sustained a leg injury during rehearsals. On February 3, 2012, AB announced that EXID would debut with the single "Whoz That Girl". Video teasers featuring various members doing solo performances were subsequently released online.
2012: Debut, lineup changes, and Hippity Hop
EXID released their debut single "Whoz That Girl", from the digital single album Holla, on February 16, 2012. They made their debut performance on M! Countdown, followed by Music Core and Inkigayo. Their debut song "Whoz That Girl" peaked at #36 on the Gaon Singles Chart, ultimately selling 840,000 digital copies.
In April 2012, AB Entertainment announced the departure of original members Yuji, Dami, and Haeryeong. AB said in a statement that Yuji and Dami had left the group to focus on their studies, while Haeryeong had left to pursue an acting career. They were replaced by Solji, a former member of vocal duo 2NB, and Hyelin, who was originally considered for EXID's original lineup before she was dropped.
With the new members, EXID returned in August 2012 with their comeback single "I Feel Good" from their first EP Hippity Hop. Hippity Hop debuted at #13 on the Gaon Albums Chart, selling 1,500 copies. On October 2, EXID returned with the digital single "Every Night", an alternate version of LE's self-written song "Phone Call" which was recorded in their debut EP. "Every Night" debuted at #43 on the Gaon Singles Chart, selling 105,000 digital copies.
On October 11, EXID released the song "Hey Boy" as part of the soundtrack release for MBC's sitcom The Thousandth Man. The song is the female version of B1A4‘s song "Hey Girl". Producer Shinsadong Tiger rearranged the song into a "reggae style" to create a different approach from B1A4's original version.
It was revealed on November 30, 2012 that EXID, along with Big Star and D-Unit, would be working together on a special collaboration album in addition to a special year-end concert. The concert, titled "The Bugs Show Vol. 1", was held on December 22 at the V-Hall in Hongdae, Seoul, South Korea. On December 6, EXID won the rookie award at the 20th Korea Culture & Entertainment Awards.
2013–14: Dasoni sub-unit, "Up & Down" and rise in popularity
On February 8, 2013, EXID released the single "Up & Down" from the Incarnation of Money soundtrack, and it was announced shortly afterwards that Hani and Solji would be taking part in a sub-unit called "Dasoni". The sub-unit released their debut single "Goodbye" on February 15, 2013, with the B-side track "Said So Often".
It was announced in June 2014 that the group had signed an exclusive contract with Yedang Entertainment, and were preparing a comeback in collaboration with producer Shinsadong Tiger. On August 24, EXID held their comeback showcase at the Ilchi Art Hall, performing their new song "Up & Down". The song was released on August 27 and initially charted poorly, failing to make it onto the top 100 of the Gaon Chart; though it peaked at #94 on the domestic chart. However, the song slowly gained popularity in late November after a fan-recorded video of member Hani performing the song went viral on Korean social networking websites. The video has been viewed more than 20 million times to date. This led to the song shooting back up record charts, eventually climbing to the top 10 on the real-time charts and topping the Gaon Chart. Due to this success, EXID returned to several music programs to promote "Up and Down". The song was subsequently nominated for a first place award on Show! Music Core, The Music Trend, and M!Countdown, where they took their first music show win since debut on January 8, 2015. On January 9, the group won a second award at KBS's Music Bank. The Music Bank win was followed up by another on January 11 at SBS's Inkigayo.
2015: Ah Yeah, and Hot Pink
In February 2015, Solji participated in the pilot episode of MBC's singing competition program King of Mask Singer. She became the first winner of the show, which drew a lot of attention to EXID, also in February 2016, Hani joined the show and won the first, second and third rounds, but then she lost the final round and had to reveal her identity.
On April 13, the music video for the title song "Ah Yeah" from their second mini album was released. The group won first place with "Ah Yeah" on both April 26 and May 3 episodes of SBS's Inkigayo, as well as the April 29 and May 6 episodes of Show Champion. In May, the group made their first American performance at the Korean Music Festival in Los Angeles, California. They performed "Every Night," "Ah Yeah," and "Up & Down".
EXID featured in their own season of the MBC Every1 reality show Showtime in July 2015. That month Junghwa also made her acting debut as the female lead in Webtoon Hero Toondra Show, which also aired on MBC Every1.
On November 7, EXID won the MBC Music Star Award at the 2015 MelOn Music Awards.
On November 17, the music video for "Hot Pink" was released. Following the success of their previous singles, "Hot Pink" was nominated for a first place award on various music programs, and the group clinched their first win for "Hot Pink" on November 25 on Show Champion and their second win on December 6 on Inkigayo.
On June 1, 2016, the group released their first full-length studio album titled Street with the title track "L.I.E". On the 8th of June, EXID won first place with L.I.E on Show Champion and not much later, they won first place on Inkigayo and The Show as well.
- Solji (솔지) was born Heo Solji (허솔지) on January 10, 1989 . She was formerly a member of the vocal duo 2NB with Blady's Gabin, and released solo singles in 2008. She was EXID's vocal trainer before becoming a member. She was the first winner of King of Mask Singer in 2015.
- LE (엘리) was born Ahn Hyo-jin (안효진) on December 10, 1991 . She was a former member of the underground rap team Jiggy Fellaz under the name Elly. She was featured in "Whenever You Play That Song", a duet with Huh Gak, before EXID's debut. She has collaborated with many artists, including Hyuna and Im Chang-jung. In 2013, she competed in the rapping competition show Show Me the Money 2.
- Hani (하니) was born Ahn Hee-yeon (안희연) on May 1, 1992 . She was a JYP Entertainment trainee for a year while a freshman in high school. In 2015, Hani appeared in several episodes of the variety shows Off to School and Match Made in Heaven Returns, and was a fixed cast member of the variety show Crime Scene 2. She also became a host of the KBS2 fashion show A Style for You and appeared in the music video for Mad Clown's number one single "Fire".
- Hyelin (혜린) was born Seo Hyelin (서혜린) on August 23, 1993 . In 2011, she participated in Superstar K3, making it through the auditions to "SuperWeek".
- Junghwa (정화) was born Park Jung-hwa (박정화) on May 8, 1995 , and is a former JYP Entertainment trainee. Before becoming a member of EXID, she appeared in the music videos for "Tell Me" by the Wonder Girls and "Whenever You Play That Song" by Huh Gak and LE. In 2015, she appeared in several episodes of MBC Every1's Match Made in Heaven Returns.
- Yuji (유지) was born as Jung Yu-ji (정유지) on  and was previously a trainee under JYP Entertainment. She prepared to debut in a trio with Sistar's Hyorin and Secret's Jieun, but the group never debuted due to irreconcilable differences between the members. Yuji left EXID shortly after their debut and joined girl group Bestie a year later along with the other two former members, changing her stage name to Uji. January 2, 1991 ,
- Dami (다미) was born as Kang Hye-yeon (강혜연) on  Shortly after debuting with EXID, she left the group. She then joined Bestie and changed her stage name from Dami to her birth name, Hyeyeon. December 8, 1990 .
- Haeryeong (해령) was born as Na Hae-ryeong (나해령) on November 11, 1994  and was previously a trainee under JYP Entertainment. Shortly after the group's debut, Haeryeong left to pursue an acting career before joining Bestie.
EXID's original lineup had a cameo performance in episode 8 of the tvN drama Twelve Men in a Year. After the group's lineup changes, they started their own reality show, titled "EXID BUTBUT TV", which features EXID's activities when they are not performing. The episodes are released through the group's official YouTube channel. The first season of BUTBUT TV was in 2012-2013, the second in 2013-2014, the third in 2014, and the fourth in 2015.
|2014||Idol School||MBC Music||Guest (EP 11)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 178)|
|2015||Immortal Song 2||KBS||Guest (Episode 182)|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest (Junghwa & Hani, EP 207)|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 197)|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Lunar Special
Bronze Medal (Archery - W)
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest (Episode 226)|
|Running Man||SBS||Hani (Episode 237)|
|Gourmet Road||K-STAR||EXID members (EP 233)|
|EXID Showtime||MBC Every1||Hosting, Themselves|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Chuseok Special
Gold Medal (400m Relay Race - W)
|Running Man||SBS||Hani (Episode 275)|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest (Hani, LE, & Hyelin, EP 250)|
|2016||Bon Boon Olympic||KBS||Hani & Solji (Chuseok Pilot Episode)|
|A Look At Myself||KBS||Special Guest (EP 23)|
|Idol Athletics Championship||MBC||Contestants - Lunar Special
Gold Medal (Wrestling - W)
Gold Medal (Archery - W)
Silver Medal (400m Relay Race - W)
|Idol & Family National Singing Competition||KBS||Audience (EXID members)
Contestant - Solji & her brother
|Battle Trip||KBS||Solji & Hani (Episode 2-3)|
Awards and nominations
Since debuting in 2012, EXID has won four various awards and 17 music program awards. On January 8, 2015, the group won their first number-one win on M! Countdown due to the big success of their digital single "Up & Down", followed by wins on Music Bank, The Music Trend and The Show.
- Park, Hyun-min; Lee, Ju-ahn (March 20, 2012). "[Interview] Will EXID Become the Next Big Thing?". CJ E&M enewsworld. Mwave. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- "EXID Release New Version of Breakout Hit 'Up & Down' After Sexy Viral Video Success". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "EXID hopes new album as successful as 'Up & Down'". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Lee, Seung-mi (November 23, 2014). '제2의 빠빠빠'탄생?…EXID '위아래'광속 차트 역주행. Ilgan Sports (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "EXID와 베스티의 분리 과정 정리 The story behind the split between EXID and Bestie". Nate Pann. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- 신사동호랭이, 걸그룹 WT 제작자로 변신..내년 초 전격 데뷔. The Korea Herald (in Korean). October 21, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (December 9, 2011). EXID LE, 허각과 함께 한 `그 노래를 틀때마다`로 1위 `감격`. Edaily (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Huh Gak Le releases 'Whenever You Play That Song'". MTV K. December 9, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Shinsadong Horaengi's new girl group EXID postpone their debut to February, Why?". Starnews. Korea.com. January 23, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (February 4, 2012). "신사동호랭이 표 걸그룹 EXID, 티저포스터 공개". Donga (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (February 16, 2012). "EXID drops MV for Whoz That Girl". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- EXID, 오늘 '엠카운트다운'서 컴백 첫 무대. The Star (in Korean). February 16, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Gwon, Su-bin (April 30, 2012). EXID 멤버교체 "3명 하차 VS 2명 영입, 5인조 재편해 6월 컴백". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyunmin (April 30, 2012). "EXID undergoes member changes". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Ho, Stewart. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-ju (July 16, 2012). ‘멤버교체’ 5인조 EXID, 8월 중순 전격 컴백. StarN News (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (July 31, 2012). "EXID Welcomes New Members Sol Ji and Hye Rin". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erika. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "EXID - HIPPITY HOP ご購入ならミュージックコリア". Musickorea.jp. October 2, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (October 2, 2012). "EXID releases new digital single ‘Every Night’". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Gwak, Min-gu (October 11, 2012). EXID. ‘천 번째 남자’ OST 합류…B1A4 ‘Hey Girl’ 女 버전 눈길. Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- 빅스타-디유닛-EXID, 콜라보 음원 발매...'특별 프로젝트'. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. November 30, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (December 4, 2012). "Electroboys, Big Star, EXID, Dok2 and Others Come Together for Christmas Show". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- EXID, 대한민국 문화연예대상 신인상 수상 "더욱 열심히 할게요". The Korea Herald (in Korean). December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "EXID wins Rookie Award at 20th Korean Culture & Entert. Awards". Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Mun, Wan-sik (February 11, 2013). EXID 솔지, 무보정 '애플힙' 몸매 공개. Star News (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (February 15, 2013). "EXID debuts new unit, Dasoni". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erika. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-Joo (June 28, 2014). "EXID sign a new management contract with Yedang Entertainment". Star N News. Yahoo Entertainment Singapore. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Khelil, Nawael. "EXID makes you go Up & Down". BNTNews. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "2014년 36주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Kim Hyo-eun; Sung So-young (December 15, 2014). "Social media gives failing singers another chance". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Ha, Yeong-heon (November 23, 2014). 걸그룹 EXID ‘위아래’, 음원차트 역주행 기현상 ‘벌써 10위권’. Sports Kyunghyang (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- EXID '위아래'의 놀라운 역주행. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "2015년 02주차 Digital Chart". Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Park, Gyu-oh (December 3, 2014). "EXID buoyed by belated popularity of ‘Up & Down’" (in Korean). K-Pop Herald. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- '음악중심' EXID '위아래' 1위 후보 퍼포먼스 (in Korean). YTN. January 3, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Yoon, So-hee (January 2, 2014). ‘인기가요’ 차트 집계 기준 변경으로 1위 후보 ‘EXID vs 지디태양 vs 엑소’ (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Choi, Ji-hyun (January 8, 2014). EXID, 데뷔 3년만에 첫 1위 기념 인증샷 공개 "평생 잊지 못할 날" (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Song, Soo-Bin. "‘뮤직뱅크’ EXID 지상파 첫 1위, 앵콜무대서 연지곤지 탈춤 공약 이행".
- "‘인기가요’ EXID 음악방송 3사 1위…눈물의 소감 들어보니? ‘울컥’". news.donga.com. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "EXID's Solji cries emotionally on singing competitive program, 'Mask King'". www.allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "Girl Group Member Surprises Panel With Identity Reveal on "King of Mask Singer"".
- "EXID's say 'Ah-Yeah' for their comeback in MV teaser!". Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- "EXID is up next for "Showtime" Season 5!". Retrieved June 9, 2015.
- "EXID's Junghwa confirmed for her first acting role in upcoming webtoon drama". Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Kim, Jinsu (2015-11-17). "[AJU TV] EXID, 18일 대망의 싱글 앨범 ‘핫핑크’ 음원/MV 출격!".
- crystalcove. "Update: EXID Reveals Teasers For First Studio Album "Street"". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Solji (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Kim Hyeong-u (May 19, 2015). "10년무명 EXID 솔지 최근 첫 정산에 부모님 선물, 끝내 눈물 펑펑". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "EXID 솔지, 눈물 펑펑 '네 나이면 구하라처럼 생겨야…'". Asia Economy (in Korean). May 7, 2015. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "LE (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- 신사동 호랭이의 EXID "우리는 주입식 걸그룹 아니다" (인터뷰) [Shinsadong Tiger's EXID says, "We are not another cheesy girl group" (Interview)]. Xports News (in Korean). February 28, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Oh MiJung (February 15, 2012). "EXID Debuts with the Support of Hyuna and Huh Gak". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (August 13, 2014). "[Video] Hyuna Creates a ‘Blacklist’ in Choreography Practice Video". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (November 24, 2014). "[Video] Lim Chang Jung Drops Hilarious ′Shall We Dance with Dr. Lim′ MV Feat. SUJU, U-Kiss, A Pink, Shinhwa, and More". enewsWorld (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "'쇼미더머니2' EXID 안효진 탈락, 아웃사이더 매서운 혹평". TV Daily (in Korean). June 14, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Hani (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jeon Ah Ram (March 17, 2015). "EXID's Hani Trained with Sistar's Hyolyn, Secret's Song Jieun and More at JYP". Newsen (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Hong Hye-jin (March 19, 2015). "Hani shows off her language skill". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Park Ji Ryun (March 4, 2015). "EXID's Hani, Nicole, Seo Kang Jun and More Join ‘Soulmates Returns’". Newsen (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Ahn, Woorim (March 12, 2015). "JTBC ‘Crime Scene 2’ Confirms Its Final Casts". BNT News. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Kim Min Ji (February 11, 2015). "SUJU's Heechul, Sistar's Bora, Kara's Goo Hara and EXID's Hani to Host ‘A Style for You’". Newsen (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Lee Yousun (January 6, 2015). "Mad Clown releases teaser for "Fire" featuring EXID's Hani". Korean Wave. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Hyelin (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jeon Ah Ram (February 2, 2015). "‘Yaman TV’ Unveils EXID Hani's JYP Audition Video". Newsen (CJ E&M). Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Junghwa (EXID) artist profile". Melon (in Korean). LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- 유승호 '그 노래를 틀 때마다' 뮤비, 박정화와 연인포스 3단콤보 '누나 질투유발'. TV Daily (in Korean). December 8, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Bestie artist profile". KBS World Radio. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Jackson, Julie (February 20, 2013). "SuPearls no more: YG's newest girl group disbands before debut". The Korea Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to EXID.|