|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (December 2014)|
EXO at the KPOP World Festival in 2013
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
Exo (Korean: 엑소; stylized as EXO) is a Chinese-South Korean boy band based in Seoul. Formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2011, the group consists of twelve members separated into two subgroups, EXO-K and EXO-M, performing music in Korean and Mandarin, respectively. EXO rose to fame with the release of their best-selling first album XOXO (2013), which contained the breakthrough hit "Growl". XOXO was a critical and commercial success, winning both Disk Daesang at the 28th Golden Disk Awards and Album of the Year at the 15th Mnet Asian Music Awards. It eventually went to sell over one million copies, putting EXO as the fastest-selling Korean artist in twelve years. Their third EP Overdose (2014) made EXO the highest-charting Korean male act on the Billboard 200.
In May 2014, Kris filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to be removed from the group. Luhan followed suit in October 2014. In April 2015, Tao suspended his activities and subsequently followed suit in August 2015. Following their departures, EXO carried on with nine members.
- 1 History
- 2 Discography
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Controversy
- 5 Tours
- 6 Other ventures
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 Footnotes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
In May 2011, at a Hallyu business seminar held at Stanford University, Lee Soo-man spoke about a strategy of debuting a new boyband, in which they would be divided into 2 subgroups, promoting the same music simultaneously in South Korea and China by performing songs in both Korean and Mandarin. After several changes, in December 2011, the group finalized their name to EXO, taken from the word exoplanet. They are divided into two subgroups, EXO-K ('K' for Korean) for South Korea and EXO-M ('M' for Mandarin) for China. They debuted their first televised performance at SBS's annual Gayo Daejun event on December 29, 2011.
2012: Debut and Mama
EXO-K and EXO-M's prologue single "What Is Love" was released on January 30, 2012, in mainland China and South Korea. The single peaked at number 88 on South Korea's Gaon Single Chart. On March 9, the group released their second prologue single "History", which was written and produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee. The single peaked at number 68 on the Gaon Single Chart and number six on China's Sina Music Chart.
A concert for the group was held in Seoul's Olympic Stadium on March 31. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend. A second concert was held in the Great Hall of the Beijing University of International Business and Economics on April 1.
EXO-K and EXO-M released their debut single, "Mama", on April 8 followed by an EP, Mama, on April 9. On April 8, Exo-K performed on South Korea's music program The Music Trend, while EXO-M made their debut in China's Top Chinese Music Awards on the same day. Exo-M's album reached number two on China's Sina Album Chart, number five on South Korea's Gaon Album Chart, and number twelve on the Billboard World Albums Chart. Exo-K's album peaked at number one on the Gaon Album Chart and at number eight on the Billboard World Albums Chart. Exo-M's "Mama" music video reached number one on Chinese streaming websites, while Exo-K's version reached to number seven on YouTube's Global Chart. In late April 2012, Exo-M performed as a guest act for Super Junior's Super Show 4 concert tour in Jakarta, Indonesia.
In November 2012, EXO won Best New Asian Artist Group at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards. EXO-K received three nominations at the 27th Golden Disk Awards, winning the Newcomer Award. EXO-M received the Most Popular Group award at the 2013 Top Chinese Music Awards.
2013: XOXO, commercial success and Miracles in December
XOXO was released in June 2013 to two versions, a Korean-language "Kiss" edition and a Mandarin-language "Hug" edition. Unlike during the Mama era, when EXO-K and EXO-M had separate promotions, XOXO was jointly promoted, mainly in South Korea. The subgroups collaborated for the album's lead single, "Wolf", but the rest of the album was recorded separately. The two versions collectively peaked at number one on the Billboard World Album Chart a week after release. Lead single "Wolf" peaked at number one on three of South Korea's music programs, earning the name "triple win." "Wolf" also won a trophy on MBC Music's Show Champion.
A repackaged version of XOXO, titled Growl, was released on August 5, 2013 with three additional tracks. The reissue's lead single, "Growl", was released on August 1, 2013. "Growl" achieved 10,554 points on The Music Trend charts, setting a new number one record on the show. "Growl" reached number one on all four of Korea's major music programs, winning a total of ten trophies in three consecutive weeks. The single peaked at number three on Billboard's Korea K-Pop Hot 100 and number two on the Gaon's Singles chart. As of October 2013, all versions of XOXO have collectively sold over 910,000 copies, breaking the record for being fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. XOXO was named Album of the Year at the 2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards, making EXO the youngest ever boy band to win the award. XOXO is the best selling album in South Korea of 2013.
EXO's second EP Miracles in December was officially released December 9, 2013 as a special winter album through South Korean commercial outlets and online music stores. EXO jump-started album promotions through their reality show EXO's Showtime, which premiered on November 28, 2013 on the cable channel MBC Every 1. Baekhyun, Chen, and D.O. performed the EP's lead single, "Miracles in December", at M! Countdown on December 5.
EXO ended 2013 with six albums in the Gaon's Yearly Top 10 Best-Selling Albums including all their 2013 album releases in both the Korean and Chinese version.
2014: Overdose, Kris' and Luhan's lawsuit
EXO's third EP, Overdose, was released on May 7, 2014. Originally scheduled to be released on April 21, due to the Sewol Ferry Accident on April 16, the album was delayed. Overdose was promoted similarly to "Mama" with EXO-M promoting in China while EXO-K promoted in South Korea. It reached 660,000+ preorders before its release, making it the most pre-ordered mini-album in history. The Korean edition also peaked at No. 2 on Billboard's World Albums Chart, and No. 129 on the "Billboard 200", making EXO the highest charting Korean male group act on the Billboard 200. Overdose was the best selling album in South Korea of 2014 and was the first EP to top the yearly charts. By the end of the calendar year, EXO was Japan's biggest-selling K-pop artist of the year.
On May 15, 2014, S.M. Entertainment confirmed that EXO-M's leader, Kris, had filed a lawsuit against the agency to terminate his contract for being treated like an object and violating basic human rights. leaving the band with 11 members. On October 10, EXO-M's Luhan filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to nullify his contract, because of health issues and being treated differently than it's Korean members having no promotions. EXO continues to promote with 10 members.
2015: Exodus and Tao's lawsuit
EXO's second solo concert was announced in January 2015 entitled EXO From. EXOPLANET #2 - The EXO'luXion. Five concerts were held in Seoul at the Olympic Park Stadium starting March 7. 1.2 million fans had attempted to buy tickets online. On February 4, 2015, S.M Entertainment filed a counter-suit against Kris and Luhan for illegally continuing their promotions in China. The lawsuit was to stop their acting and advertisement under the use of the S.M trademark.
EXO's second studio album, Exodus, was released on March 30, 2015 in both Korean and Mandarin versions. Domestic pre-sales for the album surpassed 500,000 within 24 hours, setting a new record for pre-sales. The group released an early release of their title track 'Call Me Baby' on March 27, due to leaked versions of the song. On March 29, EXO released their track “First Love,” a special gift for EXO-Ls which was available for only 10 hours. On March 31, EXO released their music video for "Call Me Baby", the Korean version receiving 4,000,000+ views and the Mandarin version receiving 2,000,000+ views in less than 24 hours.
'Call Me Baby' proved to be successful winning eighteen times on music shows, making it the second most awarded song ever. Exodus (Korean Ver.) also broke records after staying number one on the album chart for four consecutive weeks. Baekhyun sang the OST "Beautiful", which was released on music sites on April 22.
On April 22, 2015, EXO member Tao's father posted a letter through Weibo expressing his sentiments for his son to withdraw from the group and return to China due to lack of support concerning individual career developments and health issues.  Tao had previously sustained several injuries, including a torn tendon in his ankle,   that had not been properly treated, further worsened, and caused him to be absent during promotions for the group's second studio album Exodus. On April 23, 2015, S.M. Entertainment released an official statement saying that they would be "seeking a solution in a developmental direction" by negotiating  with Tao and his father.
On August 10, 2015, Tao confirmed that he had left SM Entertainment.  On August 24, 2015, after failed negotiations   it is confirmed, that Tao has filed a lawsuit against SM Entertainment for the termination of his exclusive contract.  
On June 3, Exodus's repackage album, titled Love Me Right, was released and was accompanied by a music video of the same name. The repackaged album contained the original tracks of Exodus and four new songs. Due to the absence of member Tao, the group promoted the song in music shows with 9 members.
- Reality TV Shows
- 2015: Exo Next Door
On May 15, 2014, S.M. Entertainment confirmed that EXO-M's leader, Kris, had filed a lawsuit against the agency to terminate his contract for violation of basic human rights and his choices career wise. It is suspected that there is disagreement between him and S.M. Entertainment regarding his activities. The same law firm that represented Han Geng of Super Junior in his lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment will also be representing Kris.
On October 10, 2014, Luhan filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to nullify his contract, mainly because of health issues and for being treated differently than its Korean members. The same law that represented Han Geng and Kris in their lawsuits against S.M. Entertainment will also be representing Luhan.
On August 24, 2015, Tao filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment for termination of his contract and is being represented by the same legal team as Kris and Luhan. SM Entertainment responded to his legal actions by stating, "Our company plans to use everything in our power including both Korean and Chinese legal professionals and partners to respond legally both in Korea and China in a multi-faceted manner. We also plan to take legal steps to respond to Tao's illegal promotions and actions."
Early February 2013, EXO began promoting a South Korean clothing brand, "Kolon Sport." The band shot a commercial ad for a new pair of sneakers named after them, MOVE-XO.
The band has launched a clothing range called Boy Who Cried Wolf (BWCW), partnering up with various Korean street brands. The collaboration store is located at OUTLAB in Garosu-gil, Sinsa-dong. EXO also has a 2-year endorsement deal with cosmetics brand, Nature Republic.
The members of EXO-K became goodwill ambassadors for South Korea's Red Cross Youth in December 2012. Members of EXO and Bae Doona are appointed as official ambassadors for Fashion-KODE 2014 which is host by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Korea and the Korea Active Content Agency Fashion Festival in July 2014. In July 2014, Samsung announced EXO as Samsung’s brand ambassador for 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.
Awards and nominations
EXO have been recipients of numerous awards from South Korea and mainland China. EXO has also won 59 music program awards. On June 14, 2013, a year after their official debut, the band received their first number-one win on South Korean music program Music Bank with the single "Wolf." The following weekend, the song achieved number-one wins on Show! Music Core and The Music Trend, becoming a "triple win" hit. It also won a champion trophy on music program Show Champion.
- Luhan is in a lawsuit against SM Entertainment since October 10, 2014.
- Kris is in a lawsuit against SM Entertainment since May 15, 2014.
- Tao suspended his activities in April 2015, and is subsequently in a lawsuit against SM Entertainment since August 24, 2015.
- "EXO first artist to sell one million albums in 12 years". Oh My Star (in Korean). 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "EXO's 'Overdose' EP Enters Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Ock Hyun-ju (16 May 2014). "Why did EXO-M‘s Kris sue SM?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "EXO-M’s Luhan files lawsuit against SM for invalid contract". The Korea Times (USA). 9 October 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- Mickey Jamias (24 August 2015). "Estranged EXO Member Z.Tao Reportedly Sues SM Entertainment For Contract Termination, Agency Responds". KPOP Starz. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "SM's Lee Soo-man announces new boy band" (in Korean). Nate. May 9, 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "S.M. Entertainment's chairman Lee Soo-man discusses culture industry secrets and slave contracts" (in Korean). Chosun Ilbo. October 16, 2010. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "S.M.'s rookie group EXO made debut in the SBS Gayo Daejun". Newsen (in Korean). December 29, 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "SM 새 그룹 Exo, 30일 프롤로그 싱글 공개" [Exo releases first single]. Nate.com (in Korean). 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "The Prologue Single II ‘HISTORY’ of SM’s New Groups, EXO-K and EXO-M, will be Released on the 9th at 00:00 a.m.!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- 新歌飙升榜 [Sina Music Charts] (in Chinese). Sina.com. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- Exo (2012-04-07). Exo Showcase Part 3 (in Korean and Mandarin Chinese). S.M. Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Exo debuts in front of 3000 fans". Korea.net. 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "SM新团Exo中国发布会劲歌热舞展多样魅力" [S.M.'s new group Exo first press conference in China]. Sina.com (in Chinese). 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "The First Mini Album Title Song ‘MAMA’ of Exo-K and Exo-M will be Released Worldwide on the 8th at 00:00!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Exo-K and Exo-M will Make Their Debut on April 8th both in Korea and China!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- "World Albums". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "<Exo-K>차트 검색결과" [Exo-K Chart Positions] (in Korean). Gaon. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- Lee, Jinho (2012-04-09). "Exo-K’s Music Video Comes In Seventh on Youtube Chart". Mnet. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- KRG (2013-08-18). "EXO beats senior singers 2NE1 and f(x) for 'The Music Trend' first place". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Jeff Benjamin (August 15, 2013). "Crayon Pop rides viral wave to No. 1 on K-Pop Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "EXO-M @ Weibo". Weibo (in Chinese). 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Gaon Releases Yearly Physical Albums Chart". Allkpop. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "EXO gifts fans with 'Miracle In December'". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "MBC+Media - EXO'S SHOWTIME" (in Korean). MBC. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Gaon Chart releases Yearly Physical Albums Chart for 2013 | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Overdose by Exo". iTunes JP. Apple. May 7, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Jeon Su Mi (May 13, 2014). "EXO ‘Overdoses’ Asia by Topping Various Weekly Charts". enewsWorld (Mwave). Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "EXO-K and EXO-M chart in the Top 5 on Billboard's World Albums Chart with 'Overdose'". Allkpop. May 16, 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- "Gaon Chart Releases Overview Summary of 2014". Allkpop. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "EXO named 2014′s bestselling K-pop artist in Japan". Venture Capital Post. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- Jackson, Julie (May 16, 2014). "EXO-M’s Kris wants out, files suit against SM". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- "Kris-less EXO members talk first solo concert series". Korea Herald. May 25, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- Sung So-young (October 11, 2014). "Luhan plans to leave Exo". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- Chung Joo-won (October 10, 2014). "EXO Luhan sues S.M. to end exclusive contract". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- "EXO To Kick Off Their First Solo Concert in Seoul". Allkpop. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "Tickets for EXO's first concert sold out in less than 2 seconds". soompi. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "EXO adds another Seoul Concert date". koreaboo. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "1.2 million ExoluXion ticket buyers crash ticketing site". koreaboo. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "SM Entertainment to take action against Luhan & Kris for illegally continuing promotions in China | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO bring on the 'EXODUS' with 2nd album release | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO's album 'EXODUS' already hits 500k in pre-sale and tops iTunes charts worldwide | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO say 'Call Me Baby' in early released title track for 'EXODUS' album! | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO gifts fans with time-limited release of "First Love"". koreaboo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO's MV for 'Call Me Baby' sees success with over 2 million views | allkpop.com". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO's "EXODUS" rules Gaon Chart for four consecutive weeks". koreaboo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "EXO drops "Love Me Right" MV for repackaged album". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "韓男團「EXO」拆夥！ 中國成員KRIS鬧失蹤求解約" [EXO Chinese member Kris go missing asking to terminate his contract]. Ettoday.net (in Chinese). 2014-05-15. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "엑소 크리스, 전속계약해지 소송 "조용히 처리할 것" vs SM "당황"(종합)" (in Korean). Enews. May 15, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Reports reveal Luhans reasons behind lawsuit statements from representative and friend of Luhan". Soompi. Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- "[★BREAKING] Tao sues SM Entertainment using Kris & Luhan's lawyer". Koreaboo.
- "SM Entertainment responds to Tao’s legal actions". Koreaboo.
- "Exo sneakers Kolon Sport". FashionKorea. 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "EXO to open up 'BWCW' collaboration store". MWave. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- 태연·엑소, 네이처리퍼블릭 모델로 발탁 (in Korean). Asia Economy. 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "EXO-K Appointed Honorary Ambassadors For Korean Red Cross Youth". Han Cinema. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "EXO & Actress Bae Doona appointed as the official ambassadors of Fashion-KODE 2014". onehallyu. June 18, 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- "EXO as ambassador for 2014 Summer Youth Olympics". telecompaper. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- MountainMadman (June 16, 2013). "EXO achieves the 'triple win' with trophies on all three major broadcast stations". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "EXO winning number one on Inkigayo". Naver (in Korean). 2013-06-16. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to EXO (musical group).|
- EXO official website (Korean)