E (Enslaved album)
|Studio album by Enslaved|
|Released||13 October 2017|
|Recorded||April & May 2017|
|Studio||Duper & Solslottet Studios, Earshot & Conclave Studios, Peersonal Sound, Fascination Street Studios|
|Genre||Progressive metal, black metal|
49:45 (standard version) |
01:02:08 (with bonus tracks)
|Producer||Grutle Kjellson, Ivar Bjørnson, Iver Sandøy|
Since the longtime keyboardist / vocalist Herbrand Larsen left the band in late 2016, this is the first album of Enslaved where Håkon Vinje plays the keyboards. This would also be the last album with Cato Bekkevold on drums before he quit in 2018.
The title of the album represents the initial letter of the band name, but written with the runic character ehwaz (similar to 'M') on a minimalist and dark wooden cover art, created by designer and painter Truls Espedal. The concept of the symbol (which means 'horse'), is treated in a certain way in "Sacred Horse".
Enslaved songwriter and guitarist Ivar Bjørnson said:
|“||[...] They (the Vikings) used an alphabet, the runes, twenty-four different symbols that were used both for writing, normal stuff like'this guy owns this few cows' and stuff, and then it was also used for esoteric works, or magic, as it were, in popular history. I guess behind each of those runes there was a meaning, and this particular one means ‘horse’, in mythology the most famous horse is Sleipnir, Odin’s own horse, the one with the eight legs. So of course it has a deeper meaning, like person and horse, it symbolises the whole concept of relationships and positive dependency. [...] ||”|
Musical style and writing
|“||Everything we do and create are imitations of nature; as we evolved from nature, that is how it must be — yet modern man thinks he and she is independent of nature, that we somehow are so superior that we do not have to take nature into consideration other than as a backdrop for shitty movies. Or festivals. Losing touch with nature is basically to lose touch with being human. ||”|
Recording and production
E was composed and written from April 2016 to March 2017. Subsequently, Iver Sandøy was hired again as record producer.
It was recorded at Duper & Solslottet Studios, Conclave & Earshot, Peersonal Sound in Bergen between April - May 2017 and was mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Örebro, Sweden in June 2017.
As usual in all Enslaved albums, E was once again written by the duo composer of guitarist Ivar Bjørnson (credited as Ivar Peersen) and singer and bassist Grutle Kjellson. Marks the introduction of their new keyboard master and clean vocalist Håkon Vinje of Seven Impale, a close collaborator of Bjørnson and Einar Selvik in their parallel musical project, called Skuggsjá.
The special edition of the album includes two bonus tracks (something unusual in Enslaved studio albums) recorded simultaneously but with no relation to the style of the rest: a black-doom song composed in Norwegian titled "Djupet" and an interesting cover of the 2005 Röyksopp hit "What Else Is There?", performed mostly by Vinje.
All music composed by Ivar Bjørnson.
|1.||"Storm Son"||Kjetil Grutle / Ivar Peersen||10:54|
|2.||"The River's Mouth"||Peersen||5:12|
|3.||"Sacred Horse"||Grutle / Peersen||8:12|
|4.||"Axis Of The Worlds"||Grutle||7:49|
|5.||"Feathers of Eolh"||Grutle||8:06|
|8.||"What Else Is There?" (Röyksopp cover)||Karin Dreijer / Röyksopp||4:44|
- Grutle Kjellson – vocals, basses, double bass, bass pedals, FX
- Ivar Bjørnson – guitars, backing vocals, synthesizer, FX, piano
- Cato Bekkevold – drums
- Håkon Vinje – vocals, organ, keyboards
- Ice Dale – guitars, backing vocals
- Extra personnel
- Daniel Måge - Flute (track 5)
- Kjetil Møster - Saxophone (track 6)
- Einar Kvitrafn Selvik - Vocals (track 6)
- Iver Sandøy - Effects, Drums (track 7)
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||190|
|French Albums (SNEP)||155|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||80|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||12|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||55|
- "ENSLAVED - album details & pre-order!". Nuclear Blast. 2017-08-07. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- bravewords.com. "SATYRICON, ENSLAVED, HELHEIM Nominated For Norway's Spellemann Awards". bravewords.com. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "ENSLAVED - Win Spellemann Metal Award". Tangra Mega Rock. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Ivar Bjørnson of Enslaved: Ehwaz and Paradoxes
- Watch ENSLAVED's Video For New Song 'Storm Son'
- "Ultratop.be – Enslaved – E" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Lescharts.com – Enslaved – E". Hung Medien. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Officialcharts.de – Enslaved – E". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Enslaved – E". Hung Medien. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Swisscharts.com – Enslaved – E". Hung Medien. Retrieved 21 October 2017.