||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2014)|
Bottles of Eagle Rare, aged 10 years (left) and 17 years (right)
|Country of origin||Frankfort, Kentucky, United States|
|Alcohol by volume||45.00%|
|Related products||Buffalo Trace|
Eagle Rare was originally a 101-proof ten-year-old Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey (not single-barrel) from Seagram created by master distiller Charles L. Beam. Introduced in 1975, Eagle Rare was among the last new bourbon brands introduced prior to the current era of 'small-batch bourbons'. Eagle Rare has been distilled, bottled and/or marketed by a number of companies, including the Old Prentice Distillery of Frankfort, KY.
The Sazerac Company, an American family owned producer and importer based in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the parent company of five distilleries, acquired Eagle Rare from Seagram in March 1989. Sazerac's Kentucky distillery was then known as the George T. Stagg Distillery. Today the distillery is known as the Buffalo Trace Distillery.
Current brand expressions
The second variety is aged seventeen years and is called part of an "Antique Collection". It is also 90-proof, but aged much longer than the other version (and far longer than most bourbons).
Awards and reviews
Eagle Rare's 10-year variation has performed well at international spirit ratings competitions. It received a string of gold and double gold medals from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition between 2005 and 2010 and was given an above-average score of 92 by the Beverage Testing Institute. In 2013, Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon was awarded the inaugural Bourbon Trophy at the International Wine & Spirits Competition in the United Kingdom. The 17-year expression has performed similarly well. More recently, Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon won a Gold Medal at the 2014 Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition and a Gold Outstanding Medal at the International Wine & Spirits Competition (United Kingdom). Eagle Rare 17 Year Old was awarded a Gold Medal in the same UK-based competition.
- Veach, Mike "Seagram's Timeline" BourbonEnthusiast.com, undated, retrieved on February 4, 2009.
- Company News; "Seagram to Sell Rights to 17 Brands" New York Times March 29, 1989, retrieved on February 4, 2009.
- Eagle Rare 101 - Forum on Straightbourbon.com, retrieved on February 4, 2009.
- "Eagle Rare 101. To stock up or not to stock up" Forum at Whiskey Magazine, retrieved on February 4, 2009.
- Great Bourbon Sazerac Company Bourbon web site
- "Eagle Rare 10-year reviews aggregated at Proof66.com". Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Eagle Rare 17-year reviews aggregated at Proof66.com". Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- Murphy, Morgan; Editors of Southern Living magazine (2014). Southern Living Bourbon & Bacon: The Ultimate Guide to the South's Favorite Foods. Oxmoor House. ISBN 978-0848743161.