Eamon Duffy, FBA, FSA (born 9 February 1947) is an Irish historian and academic. He is Professor of the History of Christianity at the University of Cambridge, and a Fellow and former President of Magdalene College.
Duffy was born on 9 February 1947 in Dundalk, Republic of Ireland. He describes himself as a "cradle Catholic". He undertook postgraduate studies at the University of Cambridge, where his doctoral advisers were Owen Chadwick and Gordon Rupp.
Duffy specializes in 15th- to 17th-century religious history of Britain. He is also a former member of the Pontifical Historical Commission. His work has done much to overturn the popular image of late-medieval Catholicism in England as moribund, and instead presents it as a vibrant cultural force. On weekdays from 22 October to 2 November 2007, he presented the BBC Radio 4 series 10 Popes Who Shook the World - those popes featured were Peter, Leo I, Gregory I, Gregory VII, Innocent III, Paul III, Pius IX, Pius XII, John XXIII, and John Paul II.
Prizes and awards
- Longman-History Today Award for book of the year (1994): The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England 1400-1580.
- Hawthornden Prize for Literature (2002): The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village.
- Honorary fellow, St Mary's College, Twickenham (2003). (He later resigned from the position in protest at management decisions at the college made by its principal, Philip Esler.)
- Honorary doctorates from the Universities of Durham, Hull, and King's College London, and from the Pontifical Institute for Medieval Studies, Toronto.
- Honorary Member of the Royal Irish Academy (2012).
- Honorary Canon, Ely Cathedral (2014).
- Humanism, Reform and the Reformation: The Career of Bishop John Fisher (1989), with Brendan Bradshaw
- The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, c.1400 to c.1580 (1992)
- Saints and Sinners, a History of the Popes. Yale University Press. 1997. ISBN 0-300-07332-1.
- The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village (2001)
- Faith of Our Fathers: Reflections on Catholic Tradition (2004)
- Walking to Emmaus (2006)
- Marking the Hours: English People and Their Prayers, 1240-1570 (2007)
- Fires of Faith: Catholic England under Mary Tudor (2009)
- Ten Popes Who Shook the World (2011) ASIN B00680FXEY
- Saints, Sacrilege and Sedition: Religion and Conflict in the Tudor Reformations (2012) ISBN 1441181172
- Alphabetical list of all fellows, Magdalene College, Cambridge.
- "Confessions of a Cradle Catholic"
- "Professor Eamon Duffy FBA". Faculty of Divinity. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Eamon Duffy profile
- Ten Popes Who Shook the World, BBC Radio 4
- "Awards Winners". History Today. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Myers, Kevin (26 May 2002). "This constant stream of English life". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Top historian criticises St Mary’s for ‘grotesque’ treatment of professor". Catholic Herald. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Prof Eamon Duffy receives Honorary Degree". Durham University. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Honorary Graduates - A to E". University of Hull. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Honorary Degree ceremony". King's College London. 26 November 2009. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Members List". Royal Irish Academy. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "New Canons Admitted and Installed at Ely Cathedral". 14 May 2014. Retrieved 22 January 2015.