|Assumed office |
June 2007 – February 2011
12 September 2002 – 25 May 2007
|Born||20 September 1954|
Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland
|Political party||Fianna Fáil|
|Alma mater||Letterkenny Institute of Technology|
Eamon Scanlon (born 20 September 1954) is an Irish Fianna Fáil politician who has been a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Sligo–Leitrim constituency since the 2016 general election. He had previously served as a Teachta Dála for the Sligo–North Leitrim constituency from 2007 to 2011. He was a Senator for the Agricultural Panel from 2002 to 2007.
Scanlon is a native of Ballymote, County Sligo. He is married to Ann Scanlon and they have six children. He is a butcher by trade and business owner since 1975. Subsequently, he opened a business called 'Eamon Scanlon & Sons Auctioneers, Valuers and Estate Agents'. He is a member of the Governing Body of Letterkenny Institute of Technology and the Ballymote Community Enterprise Board.
He spent seven years on the National Executive of Fianna Fáil and was the Director of Elections for Matt Brennan. He was a member of Sligo County Council from 1991 to 2003, representing the Ballymote electoral area. He was elected to the 22nd Seanad Éireann by the Agricultural Panel in 2002. He was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 2007 general election for Sligo–North Leitrim.
On 5 August 2009, he (along with fellow Sligo Fianna Fáil TD Jimmy Devins) resigned the party whip over his opposition to cuts in breast cancer services at Sligo General Hospital. He rejoined the parliamentary party on 13 January 2011.
- "Eamon Scanlon". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 5 August 2009.
- "Eamon Scanlon". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 5 August 2009.
- "FF TDs resign whip over cuts". The Irish Times. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 5 August 2009.
- "Joint statement by Dr Jimmy Devins TD and Eamon Scanlon TD". 28 July 2009. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "Sligo's Scanlon Returned To Fianna Fáil Whip". Sligo Today. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Election 2016: Eamon Scanlon". RTÉ News. 28 February 2016.
|New constituency|| Fianna Fáil Teachta Dála for Sligo–North Leitrim