Earl C. Tingey
|Earl C. Tingey|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|January 1, 1991– October 4, 2008|
|End reason||Granted general authority emeritus status|
|Presidency of the Seventy|
|August 15, 1996– August 1, 2008|
|End reason||Honorably released|
|Emeritus General Authority|
|October 4, 2008|
|Born||Earl Carr Tingey
June 11, 1934
Bountiful, Utah, United States
Earl Carr Tingey (born June 11, 1934) has been a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since 1991. From 2001 to 2008, he was the senior (presiding) president of the Quorums of the Seventy.
Tingey was born in Bountiful, Utah, the oldest of ten children born to William W. Tingey and Sylvia Carr. He served as an LDS missionary to Australia from 1955 to 1957. Tingey married Joanne Wells in the St. George Temple on June 17, 1960. In 1961, Tingey graduated from the University of Utah with a law degree. He later obtained a Master of Laws degree from New York University. While living in New York City, Tingey served as an LDS bishop. During his legal career, Tingey worked as legal counsel for Bunker Ramo Corporation, New Jersey Zinc, Gulf Oil, and Kennecott Corporation.
In January 1991, Tingey became a general authority and member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. On August 15, 1996, he was called to the Presidency of the Seventy. In June 2001, Tingey became the longest-consecutive serving president of the Seventy, which made him the presiding president of the Seventy. Tingey was released from the Presidency of the Seventy on 1 August 2008. In October 2008, he was released from the First Quorum of the Seventy and was designated an emeritus general authority. He then served from 2008 to 2011 as president of the Washington D.C. Temple.
Tingey served for three years as president of the Great Salt Lake Council of the Boy Scouts of America and was awarded the Silver Beaver Award. For periods of time he has also been a member of the University of Utah Alumni Board and the National Advisory Board of the Utah Symphony.
Tingey is the author of The Atonement: Fulfilling God's Great Plan of Happiness.
- Tingey, Earl C. (2000). The Atonement: Fulfilling God's Great Plan of Happiness. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book). ISBN 1-57345-566-0.
- ——. "Prophets—Pioneer and Modern Day," Ensign, May 2007, pp. 29–31.
- ——. "The Quorums of the Seventy," Liahona, August 2005, pp. 48–50.
- ——. "The Law of Tithing," Liahona, July 2002, pp. 10–12.
- ——. "The Sabbath Day and Sunday Shopping," Ensign, May 1996, p. 10.
- ——. "The Widows of Zion," Liahona, July 2000, p. 62.
- "Changes in Presidency of Seventy," Ensign, August 1996, p. 71.
- "Elder Earl C. Tingey of the Seventy," Ensign, February 1991, pp. 74–75.