Earl Mountbatten of Burma
|Earldom Mountbatten of Burma|
Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Azure a Lion rampant double-queued barry of ten Argent and Gules armed and langued of the last crowned Or within a Bordure company of the second and third (Hesse); 2nd and 3rd, Argent two Pallets Sable (Battenberg); charged on the honour point with an Escutcheon of the arms of the late Princess Alice, namely: the Royal Arms differenced by a Label of three points Argent the centre point charged with a Rose Gules barbed Vert and each of the other points with an Ermine Spot Sable. The shield used to be encircled with the Order of the Garter, of which the 1st Earl was a member.
|Creation date||28 October 1947|
|Peerage||Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|First holder||Louis Mountbatten|
|Present holder||Patricia Knatchbull, 2nd Countess|
|Heir apparent||Norton Knatchbull, 8th Baron Brabourne|
|Remainder to||the 1st Earl's heirs male of the body lawfully begotten; the 1st Earl's daughters and heirs male of their bodies lawfully begotten|
|Subsidiary titles||Viscount Mountbatten of Burma
|Former seat(s)||Classiebawn Castle|
Earl Mountbatten of Burma is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1947 for Rear Admiral Louis Mountbatten, 1st Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, the last Viceroy of India. The letters patent creating the title specified the following special remainder:
...to his eldest daughter Patricia Edwina Victoria, Baroness Brabourne...and the heirs male of her body lawfully begotten; and in default of such issue to every other daughter lawfully begotten of the said Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas, Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, successively in order of seniority of age and priority of birth and to the heirs male of their bodies lawfully begotten...
As a result, Lord Mountbatten's eldest daughter Patricia succeeded as the Countess Mountbatten of Burma upon the former's death. Should the legitimate male line of descent of the 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma become extinct, the peerages will be inherited by her sister, Lady Pamela Hicks, and her legitimate heirs male. Should the legitimate male line of both sisters become extinct, the peerages will become extinct.
The subsidiary titles of the Earldom are: Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, of Romsey in the County of Southampton (created 1946), and Baron Romsey, of Romsey in the County of Southampton (1947). Both of these titles, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, have the same special remainder as the Earldom. Lord Romsey was the courtesy title by which Lady Mountbatten of Burma's eldest son and heir was known until he succeeded his father as 8th Lord Brabourne.
The family seat is Newhouse Manor, near Ashford, Kent.
Earls Mountbatten of Burma (1947)
|Created by George VI of the United Kingdom|
|1||Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas George Mountbatten
|1947–1979||Edwina Cynthia Annette Ashley||Born a prince of Battenberg, he renounced the title and adopted the name Mountbatten||Viscount Mountbatten of Burma
|2||Patricia Edwina Victoria Knatchbull
|since 1979||John Ulick Knatchbull,
7th Baron Brabourne
|Daughter of the 1st Earl||Viscountess Mountbatten of Burma
(In her own right)
(In her own right)
Dowager Baroness Brabourne
The heir apparent is the present holder's eldest son Norton Louis Philip Knatchbull, 8th Baron Brabourne (b. 1947).
Line of succession
- Norton Knatchbull, 8th Baron Brabourne (b. 1947), eldest son of the 2nd Countess (previously known as Lord Romsey from the time of his mother's succession to the title until his succession to his father's title)
- The Hon. Nicholas Louis Charles Norton Knatchbull (b. 1981), only son of the 8th Baron Brabourne
- The Hon. Michael John Ulick Knatchbull (b. 1950), second son of the 2nd Countess
- The Hon. Philip Wyndham Ashley Knatchbull (b. 1961), fourth son of the 2nd Countess
- Frederick Michael Hubert Knatchbull (b. 2003), elder son of the Hon. Philip Wyndham Ashley Knatchbull
- John Robin Rocky Knatchbull (b. 2004), younger son of the Hon. Philip Wyndham Ashley Knatchbull
- The Hon. Timothy Nicholas Sean Knatchbull (b. 1964), fifth son of the 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma
- Milo Columbus John Knatchbull (b. 2001), elder son of The Hon. Timothy Nicholas Sean Knatchbull
- Ludovic David Nicholas Knatchbull (b. 2003), second son of The Hon. Timothy Nicholas Sean Knatchbull
- Lady Pamela Carmen Louise Hicks (b. 1929), younger daughter of the 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma
- Ashley Louis David Hicks (b. 1963), only son of Lady Pamela Hicks