Earl of Sandwich (restaurant)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Industry||Fast food restaurants|
|Headquarters||Orlando, Florida, U.S.|
|John Montagu, Orlando Montagu, Robert Earl|
|Products||Submarine sandwiches, salads, other food products|
Earl of Sandwich is a restaurant franchise based in Orlando, Florida, United States. It was founded by the current Earl of Sandwich, his younger son Orlando Montagu, and businessman Robert Earl, founder of Planet Hollywood.
Earl of Sandwich is the brainchild of Orlando, who is the younger brother of Luke Timothy Charles Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke heir to the title of Earl of Sandwich. He and his father are direct descendants of the 4th Earl of Sandwich, who popularized the sandwich in Great Britain in the 18th century.
The first restaurant was opened on March 19, 2004, located in Downtown Disney on the property of the Walt Disney World Resort outside of Orlando, Florida. Earl of Sandwich has franchising plans in the United States and the United Kingdom, including the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The first Earl of Sandwich franchise opened in Sugar Land, Texas, and is owned by an investment group which includes Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens. Eleven other locations have opened since, in various states across the U.S.
The first Earl of Sandwich restaurant outside of the United States opened April 18, 2011 in London, but closed 28 February 2014 and the company is seeking new UK premises. Another one has since opened in the Disney Village at Disneyland Resort Paris.
- Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort, Anaheim
- Harrah's Resort Southern California north of San Diego
- Town Center at Boca Raton in Boca Raton
- Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista
- Miami International Airport
- St. Petersburg
- International Plaza and Bay Street in Tampa
- The Mall at Wellington Green in Wellington
- Port St. Lucie
- Fort Pierce
- Lake Worth
- Las Vegas at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino
- Las Vegas at the Palms Casino Resort
- Las Vegas at Caesars Palace
- London, England - This restaurant closed 28 February 2014 and the company is seeking new UK premises.
- Paris, France at the Disneyland Resort Paris
- Mervine, Bob. "Earl opens first Earl of Sandwich restaurant at Walt Disney World." Orlando Business Journal, 2004-03-19.
- "Earl of Sandwich signs group as first franchisee". Nation's Restaurant News. 2005.[dead link]