Earth Defense Force
|Earth Defense Force|
Japanese series logo as of 2012
|Genre(s)||Third-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game|
Vicious Cycle Software (2011)
|Publisher(s)||D3 Publisher, Agetec, Xseed Games|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4|
|Platform(s) of origin||PlayStation 2|
|First release||Monster Attack|
|Latest release||Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair|
Earth Defense Force, known in Japan as Chikyû Bōeigun (地球防衛軍, lit. "Earth Defense Forces"), is a series of third-person shooter video games. The series is published by the Japanese company D3 Publisher as part of the Simple series.
- 1 Story
- 2 Games
- 3 Reception
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
- 6 External links
In 2013, radio waves from deep space are picked up by scientists, proving the existence of extraterrestrial life. The Earth Defense Force, a unified multinational military sponsored by nearly every country, is founded a few years later, in case the aliens prove to be hostile. In each of the games the player assumes the role of an EDF soldier during an alien invasion.
The first game in the series was originally released in Japan as "Simple 2000 Vol. 31: The 地球防衛軍" for the PlayStation 2. "Chikyū Bōeigun" or "Earth Defense Force" was created by Sandlot Games as part of D3 Publisher's Simple Series of budget-priced games on compact disk. It was later distributed in PAL format on CD in Europe by Agetec, Inc. under the title "Monster Attack".
Global Defence Force
Chikyū Bōeigun 2 is the second game in the series, released for the PlayStation 2. The game was released in Europe as Global Defence Force but was not released in North America. A PlayStation Portable version of the game, titled Earth Defense Force 2 Portable was released on April 7, 2011 in Japan. A remake for the PlayStation Vita, entitled Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space, was released on December 11, 2014 in Japan, with a North American port released on December 8, 2015.
Global Defence Force Tactics
Chikyū Bōeigun: Tactics, known as "Global Defence Force Tactics" in Europe, is a turn-based strategy game, taking place after the events of Global Defence Force.
Earth Defense Force 2017
Earth Defense Force 2017, known in Japan as Chikyū Bōeigun 3 is the third game in the series, released for the Xbox 360. It was the first game in the series to be released in North America. A PlayStation Vita version of Earth Defense Force 3 was announced on June 5, 2012 as Earth Defense Force 3 Portable. The new version will include both local and online co-operative play, as well as the return of Palewing from Earth Defense Force 2. The game was released on September 27, 2012 in Japan.
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is the fourth game in the series, released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. It was the first game in the series to be developed outside Japan and also the first to feature online co-operative play.
Earth Defense Force 2025
Earth Defense Force 2025, known in Japan as Chikyū Bōeigun 4, released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on July 4, 2013 in Japan. Developed by Sandlot, it is a direct sequel of Earth Defense Force 2017. It features four player online co-operative play. It was released on February 2014 in US and Europe.
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair, an updated port, was released for the PlayStation 4 on April 2, 2015 in Japan and on December 8, 2015 in North America. Europe has an estimated release date for February 12, 2016, and European players will be able to play with North American players online according to Ryan Graff from publisher XSEED Games.
Earth Defense Force 5
Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain
|Global Defence Force
Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space
|Global Defence Force Tactics||–|
|Earth Defense Force 2017||(Xbox 360) 69|
(PS Vita) 68
|Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon||(PC) 69|
(Xbox 360) 68
|Earth Defense Force 2025||(PS3) 69|
(Xbox 360) 68
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
Despite generally mixed reviews, the Earth Defense Force series, particularly from Earth Defense Force 2017 and onwards, has been described as having a cult following. Joe Juba of Game Informer defined Earth Defense Force 2017 as a cult classic, stating that "the developers at Sandlot clearly want to tell a story about humanity's struggle against giant invading ants and robots, and the passion for that story shines through despite its technical shortcomings." Though Jim Sterling gave Earth Defense Force 2025 a negative review, he did acknowledge that the series "has managed to earn itself a fierce cult following through audacity alone."
- Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space is the PlayStation Vita re-release of Global Defence Force.
- "Earth Defense Forces Set for PlayStation Vita". AndriaSang. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "First Look: Earth Defense Forces 3 Portable". AndriaSang. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Earth Defense Forces 3 Portable Trailer Featuring Palewing". AndriaSang. 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Earth Defense Forces 3 Portable Date Officially Announced". AndriaSang. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- Purchese, Robert (September 13, 2016). "Earth Defense Force 5 announced for next year". Eurogamer. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Makuch, Eddie (September 19, 2017). "Earth Defense Force 5 Release Date Announced For Japan". GameSpot. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- McWhertor, Michael (September 19, 2017). "New Earth Defense Force looks like a more serious take on fighting giant ants". Polygon. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- "Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- "Earth Defense Force 2017 for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force 2017 for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force 2025 for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Earth Defense Force 2025 for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Joe Juba (May 27, 2013). "Cult Classics – Earth Defense Force 2017 – Features". Game Informer. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Jim Sterling (February 19, 2014). "Earth Defense Force 2025 Review - Giant Insects". The Escapist. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Earth Defense Force series Portal Site (in Japanese)