This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Author||Poul Anderson and Gordon Dickson|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
Earthman's Burden is a collection of science fiction stories by American writers Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson. It was first published by Gnome Press in 1957. The story "Don Jones" was original to this collection. The other stories originally appeared in the magazines Other Worlds, Universe and Fantasy and Science Fiction.
The stories involve a teddy bear-like alien race known as Hokas, and spoof a variety of fictional genres.
- "The Sheriff of Canyon Gulch"
- "Don Jones"
- "In Hoka Signo Vinces"
- "The Adventure of the Misplaced Hound"
- "Yo Ho Hoka!"
- "The Tiddlywink Warriors"
Floyd C. Gale wrote that the stories in Earthman's Burden were "reasonably amusing. Under one cover and in company with minor works, though, the cumulative effect is less rewarding ... Hoka, like pickles, is a tasty appetizer in moderation, but leaves a characteristic aftertaste if overindulged".
- Gale, Floyd C. (May 1958). "Galaxy's 5 Star Shelf". Galaxy. pp. 116–119. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- Boucher, Anthony (April 1958), "Recommended Reading", The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Mercury Publications, 14 (4): 95
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 306.
- Clute, John; Peter Nicholls (1995). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. New York: St. Martin's Griffin. p. 331. ISBN 0-312-13486-X.
- Contento, William G. "Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections". Archived from the original on 2008-01-06. Retrieved 2008-01-10.
- Coulson, Robert (March 1986), "Book Reviews", Amazing Stories, TSR, Inc., vol. 60 no. 3, p. 14
- Gale, Floyd C. (May 1958), "Galaxy's 5 Star Shelf", Galaxy Magazine, vol. 16 no. 1, p. 116
- Knight, Damon (March 1958), "Infinity's Choice", Infinity Science Fiction, vol. 3 no. 3, p. 60
- Miller, P. Schuyler (April 1958). "The Reference Library: Law for the Prophets". Astounding Science Fiction. Street & Smith. 61 (2): 143.
- Reed, Glenn (October 1985), "Hoka Humor", Fantasy Review, vol. 8 no. 10, p. 17, ISSN 0747-234X
- Searles, Baird (March 1980), "On Books", Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, Davis Publications, vol. 4 no. 3, p. 15
- Sturgeon, Theodore (January 1958), "On Hand . . . Offhand", Venture Science Fiction Magazine, vol. 2 no. 1, p. 80
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 9. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.