The Loftrium, or "West Building," and Student
Life Center, at 819 and 829 S. Wabash Avenue
|Motto||"Excellence and Service"|
|Chancellor||Dr. M. Wasiullah Khan|
816 S. Michigan Avenue|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
East–West University is a private, non-profit, non-denominational college in Chicago's South Loop neighborhood, located in downtown Chicago. The University was founded in 1980. East-West offers two and four year degrees. The university has been accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since 1983.
The university is housed in three buildings connected by bridges.
- The East Building at 816 S. Michigan was the original home of the university when it opened on September 5, 1980. It currently houses the mathematics and science departments.
- The Loftrium Building, also known as the West Building, at 819 S. Wabash Avenue was acquired in 1999. This is where the majority of the English and Business course are conducted.
- In 2014 the university opened its Student Life Center at 829 S. Wabash, which connects to the Loftrium. The 17-story building was designed by the firm of Holabird & Root and includes an auditorium, gym and dormitory space for 220 students.
Programs and departments
The East-West Perspectives lecture series has attracted notable speakers such as architect Jeanne Gang, journalist Salim Muwakkil, investment manager Louis Holland, author and labor lawyer Thomas Geoghegan, former Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Conklin, and Beyond the Beltway host Bruce DuMont. The lectures are free, and held on the third Tuesday of the month in October, November, January, February and March; and the third Wednesday of the month in April and May.
Beginning in 2016, East West began publishing its own student newspaper The Phantom Press, which has published quarterly since its inception. The paper is made up of writing submissions from students and alumni, highlights of events in the surrounding area, tips for adjusting to campus life and profile pieces on various faculty members.
At present East-West offers an intramural basketball team known as the East West Phantoms. They are coached by Tommie Posley.
Student loan debt
In December 2014, East–West University had the second lowest average student loan debt per graduate in the United States. Only 1 American University was ranked above it, City University of New York.
Economic and gender diversity
East–West University's median family income of a student is $24,200 in 2017.
In 2016, the student body and gender ratio was as follows:
- Overview Profile of East-West University on U.S. News & World Report website Retrieved 5 December 2017
- East-West University on Chicago Tribune (newspaper), Published 4 March 2011, Retrieved 5 December 2017
- College Profile of East-West University, Chicago collegedata.com website, Published data is for the year 2016, Retrieved 5 December 2017
- East-West University basketball coach Tommie Posley: "It was a way for me to get these guys off the street and keep them in the gym" WGN RADIO (Chicago website), Published 23 April 2017, Retrieved 5 December 2017
- Christine DiGangi (3 December 2014). "The 20 Colleges With the Lowest Student Loan Debt". credit.com website. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Economic diversity and student outcomes at East-West University, Chicago The New York Times, Published 18 January 2017, Retrieved 5 December 2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East-West University (Chicago).|
- Official website of East–West University
- The Phantom Press- student newspaper at East-West University