East Bay Grease
|East Bay Grease|
|Studio album by Tower of Power|
|Genre||Soul, funk, East Bay Grease|
|Tower of Power chronology|
|Singles from East Bay Grease|
East Bay Grease is the debut album by the soul and funk group Tower of Power, released in 1970. The band was one of the early music groups to be signed by Bill Graham's Fillmore Records which released the LP. The album was released on CD in 1992 by Rhino Records.
The term "East Bay Grease" is a genre of music featuring a "brass heavy funk-rock sound" and it was characteristic of the Oakland-style funk which Tower of Power helped to establish and further built upon throughout their career. Other East Bay Grease style bands include Cold Blood, Chicago, and Blood Sweat And Tears.
All selections written by Emilio Castillo & Stephen Kupka, except "Sparkling in the Sand" by Emilio Castillo, Stephen Kupka, and Lawrence Lopez.
- "Knock Yourself Out" - 7:08
- "Social Lubrication" - 7:28
- "The Price" - 6:09
- "Back on the Streets Again" - 5:50
- "The Skunk, the Goose, and the Fly" - 5:55
- "Sparkling in the Sand" - 9:06
Production credit 
- Rufus Miller - lead vocals (except "Sparkling in the Sand")
- Emilio "Mimi" Castillo - alto saxophone, vocals, extra greasy vocal on "The Skunk, the Goose, and the Fly"
- David Garibaldi - drums, vibes, background vocals
- Greg Adams - first trumpet
- Steve Kupka - baritone saxophone, background vocals
- Skip Mesquite - tenor saxophone, flute, vocals
- David Padron - second trumpet
- Frank Prestia - bass
- Rick Stevens - lead vocal on "Sparkling in the Sand", background vocals
- Willy Fulton - guitar, background vocals
- Mic Gillette - trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn with solo on "Sparkling in the Sand"
- Ken Balzell - trumpet
- Godbey, Matthew (2016-10-26). "Stage & Screen: "The Beauty Queen of Leenane" a not-so-lovely plot". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Hall, J.T. (2016-11-16). "Tower of Power Gets Funky In Verona". Syracuse New Times. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Tower of Power Founder and Trumpeter Mic Gillette Dead at 64". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Lydia Pense & Cold Blood - Back Here Again". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Wynn, Ron. East Bay Grease at AllMusic. Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- Wynn, Ron. "East Bay Grease - Tower of Power - Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "East Bay Grease - Tower of Power - Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-07-21.