East Branch Penobscot River
|East Branch Penobscot River|
East Branch Penobscot River, northeast of Millinocket, Maine.
1,000 feet (300 m)
|River mouth||Penobscot River
240 feet (70 m)
|Length||75 miles (121 km)|
From its source (Township 7, Range 11, WELS, in Piscataquis County, the river runs 17 miles (27 km) southeast through the North Maine Woods to Grand Lake Matagamon reservoir, in the northeast corner of Baxter State Park. From Grand Lake Dam, the river runs 48 miles (77 km) south to its confluence with the West Branch Penobscot River in Medway, Penobscot County.) in Maine
|Grand Lake Matagamon|
|Max. length||8 mi (13 km)|
|Surface area||4,868 acres (1,970 ha)|
|Max. depth||95 feet (29 m)|
|Water volume||80,878 acre·ft (99,762,000 m3)|
|Surface elevation||653 ft (199 m)|
Grand Lake Matagamon or Matagamon Lake is a reservoir on the East Branch, impounded by Grand Lake Dam. The dam was built at the outlet of First Lake, and flooded vast expanses of low-lying land extending upstream to include Second Lake.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penobscot River.|
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map Archived 2012-04-05 at WebCite, accessed June 22, 2011
- The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer (Thirteenth ed.). Freeport, Maine: DeLorme Mapping Company. 1988. pp. 51&57. ISBN 0-89933-035-5.
- Maine Depts. of Environmental Protection and Inland Fisheries & Wildlife (2005-08-04). "Maine Lakes: Morphometry and Geographic Information". Senator George J. Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, The University of Maine. Archived from the original on 2006-09-03. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Matagamon Lake" (PDF). Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Game. State of Maine. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Grand Lake Matagamon
- "East Branch Penobscot River". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 30 September 1980. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Maine Streamflow Data from the USGS
- Maine Watershed Data From Environmental Protection Agency
|This article related to a river in Maine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|